PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic cylinders

FNQCairns
05-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Hi all am interested in anyone with an opinion on which Hydraulic cylinder to purchase.

The choices are between just these two, the Hydrive solid front mount (the one in their ob5 kit) or the Hynautics K6 front mount, neither of these are a bullhorn style, the cylinder is bolted to the front of the engine and stays ridgid but the rod moves.

I realise this is a big ask as these are not the popular type of cylinders fitted to rec boats, going shopping soon and it has to be one or the other. One is also 5% cheaper than the other so it's winning atm ::).

Thanks fnq

banshee
05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
G'day FNQ,I have had the Ob kit 5 fited to my 500 Explorer/115 Merc for a while now and can't fault it,I liked the idea of the lines staying stationary and it allowed me to wrap that spiral stuff around everything and keep it all tidy in the well.With the Hydrive system you also have the option of useing two different helm pumps(101 and 102 I think?),one is a high volume pump and reduces lock to lock turns by nearly two,this is the one I went with and while it is marginaly heavier in the steering than the low volume pump(that some of my mates use) it is no where as bad as the non feed back steering that was originaly on the boat.I can't be certain,but I think when I was looking to buy Mackmauler posted some pics of the K6 system on his boat,I could be wrong there and it may have been some one else on the site.

propdinger
06-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Rob (Mackmauler) is armstrong steering # ;D # tiller steer

Tracker
06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
and propdinger has seastar tilt helm and hydrive rear cylinder and still wobbles all over the ocean ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Spaniard_King
06-10-2005, 04:55 PM
FNQ,

The K6, been using then at work on our own comercial boats now for over 10 years. The current ones we have got over 2300 hrs with out a fault. we have more probs with helm seals leaking than anything else

Garry

Sportfish_5
06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
and propdinger has seastar telt helm and hydrine rear cylinder and still wobbles all over the ocean ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LMAO - Thats cause he is always lookin at that big black thing on the back :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I have that problem now too ;)

Cheers

Greg

FNQCairns
07-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks Banshee for the info, I am fitting this system for pretty much the same reason as you did, by the specs I should have a bit less than 2.5 turns lock to lock and my line will dissapear with all the other cables below the engine into the pod for a no trip area ;).

Could you tell me where the hydraulic fittings are on your cylinder? I seem to live in a bit of a backwater and cannot find either to look at unless I also order and buy it ::).

Thanks Garry, that's a great recommendation I think 2300 hours on the water will just about see me through, damn better hurry up and get out there then! :)

To tracker and propdinger - Hey dude's where's my car! :) ;D ;D

Cheers fnq

banshee
07-10-2005, 01:47 PM
G'day FNQ,the outlets are towards the each end of the cylinder,a "T" piece screws into these and is set with locktite(supplied) one side of the "T" is the bleeder the other is the line(your choice,as is the angle of the "T").With the high volume pump,full lock is a frag over one and a half turns in each direction.The kit will come with mounting hardware for all brands of outboards in matching colours,from memory the only things I bought were locktite cleaner and primer(probably not needed)and a bit more of one sort of locktite(had a spill),they supply two sorts.I have some photos of my set up wich I just cannot reduce to the acceptable size,they are 229kb and no mater what size I make them they remain at the same kb's,if you send me an email address I will send them to you.

Tracker
07-10-2005, 03:25 PM
sorry to hijack your thread but we went through this before and I pm you and offered to send spec sheet .I had one from our last set up. Just go to your local dealer and ask for one. we went hydrive because of construction and backup.
cheers

propdinger
07-10-2005, 04:36 PM
ummmm if you cant find your car you been sniffing too much fibreglass product ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

1 more thing and i am gone and stop annoying your post
greg i aint looking atthe black thing on the back im looking for white pointers around tangalooma ::) ::)

FNQCairns
07-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Banshee I would be happy to recieve any photos you have, my email is below on one of the buttons now [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] This design of hydraulic steering should be more popular than the bullhorn IMO. Nowhere around here has a unit I can hold - until I own it :-/

Tracker, thread hijacks dont bother me none, feel free :).

Yes thanks for that offer, I was waiting in hope but figured you might have forgot and I wasn't going to razz you about it.

I just then noticed my email was blocked because of the recent upgrade so sorry about that, it's fixed now. I have been changing my mind on which cylinder to purchase like a big blouse. Hydrive being all stainless and the K6 which is alloy, the Hydrive is winning also because it is 5% cheaper, I will also have to ask what a replacement seal kit is worth.

I will be visiting Bills tommorrow to pick up another order, they didnt have any info when I rang them, so I rang a supplyer, will see if they got faxed tommorow, if not I will ask for a copy.

thanks fnq

banshee
07-10-2005, 09:55 PM
FNQ,here's hopeing,

banshee
07-10-2005, 09:57 PM

banshee
07-10-2005, 09:59 PM

banshee
07-10-2005, 10:02 PM

banshee
07-10-2005, 10:04 PM

banshee
07-10-2005, 10:06 PM

FNQCairns
08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Banshee thank's a big bunch for those great photo's, it's been a mega help [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]. Not even their website has a pic of it.

By the way I am sure you have posted the first ever pic of this hydrive unit on the net :). If there was one out there I would have already found it!

Stainless always looks good on a boat, I know where I am at now esp with those T pieces being to the bottom, will need to think harder over how I can make them work! with the extra room they take up.

Thanks again,

cheers fnq

banshee
08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Those T pieces are a little deceptive in the photo,the top of the housing that the T screws into starts at the half way mark on the cylinder and angles down at about 30 degrees and protrudes 12mm from the cylinder,once the T piece is fited the overall distance from the cylinder to the furtherest part of the T is 30mm,the T piece can be set into these at any angle from horizontal through to verticle.Any thing else I can help you with,measurements etc,just let me know.

banshee
08-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Disregard the 30 degrees,had a better look and would say 45 degrees,overall distance from start of adaptor plate/back of motor to outside of T is 100mm.

FNQCairns
10-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi Banshee I did some measuring this weekend and the 100mm that I will probably need is not there or tight, I could modify but now I suspect the K6 will be a closer fit with a bit of room to spare.

Bit of a shame really to pass on the cheaper shiny SS one, anyway
thanks again for your input and help, couldn't have got it anywhere else [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].

cheers fnq