PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Mechanic - Good Experience Today

bigmack
10-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Guys - Im on the Sunshine Coast - I had a mobile outboard mechanic come over to do a service on an old motor that has been sitting for a while. The motor is vintage 1970 Mercury 10 horse. This was a very good experience, nothing too much trouble, explained everything, showed me what to look for etc etc. This guy has been doing outboards for 30 years plus, is from the old school and reckons that he can fix most motors - the oldest he worked on was 1964 I think and got it going.

This is in complete contrast to one of the local boat shops who didnt want to know about me or my engine. As it turned out the problem was reasonably simple, blocked carb with congealed and crystallised oil - sh&t clogging everything up. As part of the operation we took the bottom of the leg off, new impellor, gearbox oil etc. Sweet as.

Thanks to Westie from Caloundra for referring this guy to me. If you need or want details - he is word of mouth only. PM me.

Cheers

Pwoida
10-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Its good to hear about fellas like that. Was he reasonably priced? Wish I had a outboard mechanic like that southside Brissy.

butcher
10-10-2005, 02:36 PM
If anyone has good southside outboard mechanic, please post on here or pm me.
Thanks

DR
10-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Des Hughes Marine Service
3208 3349

honest,old fashioned mechanic..

bigmack
10-10-2005, 03:14 PM
His charge out rate for labour was 33% less than the workshops, he had to shoot off to get a new impellor for me and they gave him the wrong one, so a bit of running around for him but no extra charge for me. He showed me what was going on because I was interested and wanted to know about more about how things work.

His opinion is that the new outboard mechanics are not interested in having to look up manuals etc - so if the motor is a bit older they refuse to look at it (as happened to me), because they dont know it properly. He said in many instances that the new guys diagnostic abilities are crap and they just start replacing parts and once they are used and on your motor they belong to you and you get charged. He gave me an example of a motor with a carb that had been faulty since new and no one could fix, but they spent hours and hours removing and trying to fix until sent back to the factory - it was faulty from day of manufacture.

Anyway - it was a good thing and I wouldnt have found him if not for Ausfish - its a powerful site for asking questions and getting the right advice. Good One Ausfish!

gogecko
10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeh, I had a similar experience. Big guys at LAbrador reckoned my old Tohatsu was stuffed, and should go to the tip, as it had no compression. They refused to work on it.

Found a backyarder who knows his stuff, and it was a simple head gasket replacement.

Why wouldnt the first guy go srtaight for head gasket whne he sees no compression? Too lazy/cant charge me enough? Somethings not right here...

2DKnBJ
10-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Have to agree with DR.Have a few mates on the southside and they all swear by Des Hughes.
Cheers Dazza