PDA

View Full Version : Any guys here own an Etec?

Jack_Montana
09-10-2005, 10:13 PM
I've heard a few good reports from the Etec's but it will be a few years before we know the how good/reliable this new technology is.A mate has an Etec and it misses around the 2,800 rpm mark and he has had it back for repairs 3 times.It is interesting that it is maintenance free for the first 3 year/300 hours,i'd like to see a few reports around the 3 year mark.I think i'd be checking a few things @ 100 hours,just for peace of mind.

Evinrude's aim was to produce a 2 Stroke with the fuel economy of the 4 Stroke and by all reports it has achieved this goal,so all all the other manufacturers will be pushing to do the same and this takes away the 4 Stroke's biggest advantage,and the 2 Stroke is cheaper and lighter with the holeshot power and the Etec easily meets the CARB and EPA standards.Etec is also as quiet as a 4.

I'm actually in the market for a new boat/motor and i have decided on the Haines Signature 630F as the last Signature i had in 1998 was absolutely brilliant for ride,stability at rest and it planed within 2 boat lengths.We put it through some pretty rough stuff out past the shelf off Bermi and the Signature got us home every time.The biggest problem i'm having is deciding on a donk.I've always sworn by Yammies,but this time i'm not prepared to buy a Carburetted 2 stroke,i can't believe Yamaha still produce one as EFI has been around since 1980 or so and their still putting out Carby engines,not good enough Yamaha! I'm not buying a 4 Stroke,they're just not my cup of tea.I haven't really looked into the VMAX yet either.

That's why i was looking into Etec,but i think it's still a bit new.

I'd love to hear from any Etec owners,happy or sad.

Jack

SIGNS2503
10-10-2005, 07:12 AM
I had the 90 e-tec on my last boat and it has been an absolutely awesome motor. It certainly has all the features of a 4 st but with the advantages of a 2st, in other words quickerplaning and lighter motor. Ive never had any problems with mine, so cant give you any insight there.

I believe the 4st are the way of the future but the 2st have been here for ever and the technology that they are using now is going forward in leaps and bounds. You also must remember that evinrude produced a similair motor in the ficht engine a few years ago so they have been doing the research on efi 2 st for many years.

StevenM
11-10-2005, 07:50 AM
No probs with mine. 3 year servicing, thats what they say. Still drop gearbox oil every year and grease all the spining and tilting bits more often.