PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Gelcoat

Rusty_Hook
07-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Anyone know of someone on the Gold Coast (pref Northern end) who can fix gelcoat? I had 2 chunks taken out of the underside of my hull the other day and I can see the glass underneath. They are both only about the size of a 5 cent piece, but I need to get them sorted asap.

Is it very hard to do it myself?

FNQCairns
07-10-2005, 10:28 AM
There is a good article here:

http://aquaskier.com/articles/gel_coat_repair.htm

It's way easy, but pay particular attention to cleaning and roughening whatever the new gel will need to stick to.

cheers fnq

Mojo
07-10-2005, 12:05 PM
It is easy to do yourself, you can get a "gelcoat repair kit" from FGI Fibreglass Industries at Wacol in Brisbane. Cost is around 20.00 Colour is white The only prob might be that the white on your boat is a different white to the repair kit, but if it is down under the boat that won't matter too much anyway. Best to use a die grinder to gently clean out the holes (damage) then mix up the paste from the kit and apply. Be as neat as you can when applying the gelcoat paste, this makes for less sanding later. When it has gone off (about 2 hours) sand back gently until level. Finish with very fine paper , then buff. It is actually very easy once you have done it a couple of times. Don't get into a panic about osmosis in your FG boat, that only happens to boats permenantly in the water and it takes a long time to start , like a couple of years. Mojo

Manjilad
07-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Yep mojo is right again.
I have just done my first gelcoat touch up and its soooo easy, anything with a scratch or dent is being gelcoated! ..... the dog, letter box and of course ma vessel!

My TIPS:
1. I use already coloured white Septone Gelcoat Repair filler ($12-$20 depending on your discount!)
2. Tha BIG secret is the mylar plastic. You flatten or smooth it over the Gelcoat to dersired finish, leave it tapped on and then peel it off when gelcoat is dry and there is almost no sanding! - TIP I use OHP transparancies- they work perfectly with stifness and see thu etc...
3. Web info- and even includes "how to video"- was a confidence boosting winner for me at http://www.ybw.com/sp/features/gelcoat/gelguide2.html#
4. Bought my acetone ($10) and wet'n dry paper at bunnings

Have fun

Heath
07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
As Mojo said, very easy. I fixed a few chips on my keel line a while back.

Manjilad,
Thats a top idea with the OHP transparancies. Will be doing that next time. ;)

MAD-MIC
09-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks Guys for the timely advice.

I have only had my boat out on two trips and already I have a couple of small gouges to fix up and it is a freshly painted hull :'(

It's frightening to see how easy it can happen >:(

frankj
11-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Rusty

FGI have a place at Labrador near Gold Coast Boatarama (Harbour Town).
Very helpful staff.

Rusty_Hook
12-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks Frank and everone else who replied.