PDA

View Full Version : Using Muffs during water restrictions

New_fisher
10-10-2005, 06:01 AM
I have been trying to chase an answer to see what the restrictions are regarding muffs to flush your outboard after using it, one lady told me that I could only flush on the days that I am due to water, therefore I can only use the boat on Tues, Thurs. and Sat. :o Another lady said that muffs shouldn't be used at any time (looks like I will have to replace the motor with a few oars!!!) ;D The last person I spoke to said that I could use them at any time, does anybody have any info contrary to this - I want to get my facts straight before flushing - knowing my neighbours, they will have the council around to my house before I have finished a five minute flush!!! >:(

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-10-2005, 06:05 AM
the law is you can clean your boat at anytime - during the washing down the same restrictions apply as your car

i do mine on the lawn - you get obvious green patches where the "charlie carp" brew from the esky gets dumped

New_fisher
10-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Chris, the restrictions state that you can wash the car or boat at any time with a trigger hose or witha a high pressure water device with a trigger, but it doesn't mention anything about muffs, as they don't have a trigger mechanism (thankfully) does this mean that we are breaking the restrictions?

markpeta
10-10-2005, 06:36 AM
I would take my chances on a fine cheaper than a new outboard. Mate by the time they ring up and someone gets out there the job is done. The council have to catch you in the act before fining you word of mouth aint good enough.

Mark

DR
10-10-2005, 08:38 AM
use a bin, (big bucket) ;)

Bowser
10-10-2005, 10:26 AM
The muffs probably use less water then the bucket. I do mine at the ramp so it pnly takes a few moments to give a flush as the salt water hasn't dried out or settled when it is done straight from the water. Also eneables me to wash the salt of the boat and trailer in similar circumstances.

ShaneJ
10-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Get an old wheelie bin or big drum and fill it with water and flush your motor in it, then put a cover over till next time. The advantage of this is you can easily put in any cleaning additives. Works for all the boating workshops :)

Kiktz
10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I Did the old man's boat the other week for him and I wa slucky enough to do it during my sprinkler times.

I think as long as you dont go silly you should be right, just be nice to your neighbours so they dont dob you in

Aj

bushbeachboy
10-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Hey Hurlz,
Try ringing the council first. They will usually tell you exactly what you can and can't do. Make sure you write down the name of the council officer you speak to in your diary at the date and time of the call. If possible, get the name of a council officer who you can email with your question, and make sure you get a reply. Remember that an email is a document and you should print it and also burn a copy to cd or floppy disk as well as retaining it on your hard drive. (just in case you need it for court) Mostly you'll find that if you're friendly to the council staff, they'll be friendly and helpful to you.
Cheers
Bushbeachboy

PS Which council do you come under?

gunna
10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Have you checked their website ?? The restriction rules should be there.

TonyM
10-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Get an old wheelie bin or big drum and fill it with water and flush your motor in it, then put a cover over till next time. The advantage of this is you can easily put in any cleaning additives. Works for all the boating workshops :)

I've always used muffs but I agree that a bin is probably better. Now I've just invested in a new motor I've been thinking of setting a wheelie bin up with a hose attachment to fill it and a tap/bung at the bottom. Leave the water in and flip the lid shut when not in use - besides the oil slick will help keep the mossies down ;)

Shane - you mentioned additives? I haven't heard of this before, is this something that's supposed to help get the salt out?

ShaneJ
10-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Tony, yeah the local boat workshops around here put in some additive to help remove the salt and is also meat to put a protective coating on the internal components. I have no idea how well the stuff works, but I guess if it dont cost too much its worth a try.

ShaneJ
10-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Bias Boating has some stuff called MACS Anti Corrosion Additive. Its meant to be used in an attachment which plugs onto your muffs, but I guess you could just put it in your water drum :-/
http://www.biasboating.com.au/outboard_access.html

Gutsy
10-10-2005, 01:51 PM
There is other stuff called SaltX thats is supposed to put some sort of coating on it so salt daoesnt stick to it. Do a google search and you'll find heaps on it.

deb
10-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Being super environmentaly concsious ::) the drum is now attached to the garages downpipe (free water) with macs added (no mosquitos) ;) and flushed. When it looks a bit milky, grainy or otherwise ill, out onto the lawn, and it is the best bindy killer I've had!!!!

deb
10-10-2005, 09:05 PM
oh forgot, 44gall drum = 3/4 macs = bindies
44gal drum = 500m macs = permanant grass killer

bidkev
10-10-2005, 10:53 PM
My sterndrive's too low to use a bin :( Suppose I'll have to look at Shane's suggestion for the additive to fit on the muffs.

kev

Kiktz
11-10-2005, 04:23 AM
Kingtin & Others,

I was at Stones corner last Saturday and they have a Flush Bags.
These look like a heasy duty Canvas bag that has 4 support posts.
By the looks of it you just plug your hose in the bottom of the bag
and fill her up. They was 4 sizes I think and they pack away nicely.
Better than having a bin sitting around that is only used for flushing.
THe largest was $170 and they went down from there. Bit expensive
But if they stand up against the test of time might just be a good
investment.

Aj

bungie
11-10-2005, 07:08 AM
That only a couple of watering fines Aj, and saves your water bill and the enviroment ........... not a bad price then ;)

2iar
11-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Kingtin & Others,

I was at Stones corner last Saturday and they have a Flush Bags.
These look like a heasy duty Canvas bag that has 4 support posts.
By the looks of it you just plug your hose in the bottom of the bag
and fill her up. They was 4 sizes I think and they pack away nicely.
Better than having a bin sitting around that is only used for flushing.
THe largest was $170 and they went down from there. Bit expensive
But if they stand up against the test of time might just be a good
investment.

Aj

They're certainly expensive if you accidentally drop the motor into gear while the prop's near the canvas :-[

Something to consider though - if I read things correctly, you're allowed to wash cars/boats by hand with a bucket. What's wrong with flushing in te bucket and then using the water to wash the boat down by hand?

Mike

bidkev
11-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Spoke to the council and they're happy for a hose to be used as long as it has a trigger. Gurneys are preferred as they don't use as much water.

kev

Rainbowrunner
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Nah just the muffs for me as long as its turned off at the same time as the motor. If water does become critical Ill use a bucket of shower water or something.
I used to wonder about my neighbours until I noticed they water everyday ::) ;D

SeaHunt
11-10-2005, 04:10 PM
After reading the restrictions , I would say flushing your motor is OK.
They could not risk being sued for damage to motors.
If it is not mentioned, its OK.

Like washing your dog , you can't hose the lawn, but you can use as much water as you like to wash your dog on it. ;)

familyman
11-10-2005, 09:41 PM
In my local council area there are restrictions on watering and washing of vehicles/boats ,must be done on the lawn and only for 10 minutes of cleaning bilges ,motor flushing etc but time of day or day of week is not restricted.Personally I use a very fine jet nozzle ,about 3mm uses about 2 litres /min flatout ,use it on a trickle for boat and trailer and jet on springs etc,muffs on motor flushing for as long as it takes to empty the carbies of fuel,switching of just as motor starts to cough.
cheers jon

youngfisho
12-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Jon wrote

I use a very fine jet nozzle ,about 3mm uses about 2 litres /min flatout ,use it on a trickle for boat and trailer and jet on springs etc,muffs on motor flushing for as long as it takes to empty the carbies of fuel,switching of just as motor starts to cough.
cheers jon

my mechanic and other people i have spoken to dont agree with switching your fuel off and bleeding the carbies dry. #increases the wear and tear on the pistons esp with two strokes. #all I do is disconnect the fuel line once I have finished flushing it. #but never let the engine starve of fuel. #wat do other ausfishos think?

andrew

Rainbowrunner
12-10-2005, 03:49 PM
youngfisho start a topic on it.

rakinray
12-10-2005, 05:32 PM
G/ day fellas just thought id add my two bobs worth to the topic of additives, i have heard that some of these products can clog up the alarm sensors in the leg after some time but not sure which product it was. I think WEBBY was the one who had the problem so maybe he can add to the post, my advice is you carnt beat good fresh water and just use a trigger on the hose and you wont have any dramas.

CHEERS RAY :)

Camo
13-10-2005, 07:18 PM
I now use a flush bag to flush my motor. Althought it was expensive I bought it after the earmuffs fell of my motor one day while I was flushing it. I dont know how long the motor had been running without water when I discovered it. The motor was new and had only ten hours on it at the time. Of course I had it serviced and the impellor changed and all appears to be well. I swore I would never use muffs again, but the flush bag certainly uses a lot more water than the muffs do. If we go to level three restrictions in SE QLD I wouldn't mind betting the councils will only let you use muffs to flush the outboad with.

Cammo

familyman
14-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Andrew I figure as long as you dont let the motor starve completely of fuel you will be ok as gas flow rates through motors are very high.That is to say that because there is fuel in the combustion chamber while the motor is running there will also be fuel in the crankcase to lubricate the moving parts,again as long as you dont starve it completely :)
cheers jon