PDA

View Full Version : Sounder Fish Symbol or Normal Plot

bigmack
12-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Guys - just wondering what mode you use your sounders in - do you have it in original plot/chart mode or do you have fish symbol on. I have seen the photo hereabouts of a Trackfish Sounder which had a nice picture of fish/fish symbols in a snapperish colour and I think they were snapper being caught.

Does the fish symbol (in your opinion) give a real or distorted view of whats happening under the boat or does the original shaded view of bottom, bait schools, arches and other things give a better indication.

Do the varying fish symbol sizes actually relate to the size of the fish or is this just a gimmick to get fisho's in. if the sensitivity is wound up - does that alter the size of the fish symbol and give you a misleading idea of what fish might be under the boat.

Thanks in advance

Black_Rat
12-10-2005, 09:24 AM
I leave the fish symbol off #;) (just a gimmick IMO), would rather see arches and #bait schools, it makes it easier to interoperate through experience as opposed to trying to interoperate the same fish symbol each time #:) #

bushbeachboy
12-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Go with the arches etc. Give yourself a bit of time to learn to interpret it in varying locations and you'll find it's a much better tool.
Cheers
Bushbeachboy

Bowser
12-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Most experts will tell you go with the ID of. The ID is not accurate and can actually delete fish or call an echo as fish when it is something else because the software jusr doesn't interpret the signal correctly. With the normal setup you will get to learn what is and what isn't fish after a period.

Fishinmishin
12-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I like the fishy pictures....especially when it beeps evey time there is a fish under the boat. When you don't use the fish ID then it turns the fish into arches and clouds. Now I know I'd rather catch fishes instead of arches and clouds :).

Only joking mate ;D ;), more detail=more of a story told. Forget the fish ID.
Cheers, Jay

bigmack
12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback.

stingermuz@werk
14-10-2005, 04:43 PM
My wife delights in calling out "fish" whenever the fishy symbol floats across the screen.

She then waits an appropriate amount of time and gives me that bl**dy "Oh, you didn't catch THAT one either did you?" look. :-/