PDA

View Full Version : Minn kota?

stu68
14-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Hi guys
Looking at buying a riptide RT40 tillers stear for about $550 bucks and a 100amp battery, the riptide draw 42 amp a hour so I should get 2 and abit hour running time.I"ll using it down around the pin mainly for controling drift when flicking sp"s for flathead
Will this be enought for a day out flicking sp"s??????
I see quite afew boats down there with the freshwater MK , does anyone use theirs in saltwater and for how long have you?
Cheers

macca
14-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Stu

I recently bought a MK 46. The manual says that at full power it uses 1 amp/hour for every pound of thrust. So only if you use it at full power can you expect to drain your battery in two and a bit hrs.

I use a 130 amp hr with mine. I use speed three so it draws roughly 27 amp hr, probably a bit less as it is not at full power. I should be able to get about 4 1/2 hours at this speed.

Anyone correct me if Im wrong but that is what I am lead to believe after doing alot of research on the net.

The MK freshwaters are not designed for saltwater and you will void your warranty if it is used in salt.

For saltwater use, stick to the riptide, they are a great motor. If you use a petrol to get you to your fishing spot that motor will be sufficient if your boat is not much longer than 4 metres.

Cheers

Macca

stu68
14-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks Macca,
Mate you have been very helpful,I"ve got a 4.2 wide body Quinnie as you said the rt40 should do the job.I feel much better about spending my money on something that will do the job .So I"m off shoping tomorrow.
Cheers Stu