PDA

View Full Version : Minn Kota auto pilot problems

beatle
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Am having problems with the auto pilot on my new bow mount minn kota. Every time I try to use the auto pilot facility the motor spins around and goes in all directions . I have the motor correctly level on the bow and everything appears to be okay . It is mounted on a tinny and I was wondering if the alum. would have any affect on the compass?? Has anyone had a simmilar problem???

Fordo
10-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Beatle,
I had a similar problem with mine at one stage.
Every now and again it would start to rotate out of control in one direction or another when in autopilot mode.

It had to go back to BLA for a repair. They do have a very good service department which is a positive though. Returned it Monday, had it back in 2 days from memory.

Looks like you may have to take it back to the dealer.

Fordo

Zeeke
10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
make sure your anchor isnt sitting next to it.. or any foreign metal objects.. they all play havoc on the compass.. and so does nearby powerlines..

Tim

beatle
11-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Zeeke , Fordo- I don't have any metal around the motor and I havn't been around any powerlines. I'm taking the motor back to BLA and they are going to have a look at it , they appeared to be very helpful. I hope they can sort it out. I asked the same question on an American site and one bloke said he had the same problem and it turned out to be a cracked compass housing caused by bumping and jarring during transport. Hey Fordo have you been back to Awoonga and hows the new boat going.

Fordo
15-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi Beetle,
Things are going really good thanks.
I am really overdue for a trip to Awoonga, haven't been up there since January. Weather turned lousy, But gathered a lot of good info for future trips.
Busting to get back up there, note sure how that is going to happen at the moment though #:'(. All the great Awoonga reports aren't helping either.

The Trailcraft is still going strong mate, really enjoying it.

I am sure BLA will get you sorted out quickly.
See you on the water again somewhere

Kev