PDA

View Full Version : Oils ain't oils

New_fisher
17-10-2005, 04:28 PM
I have been told a few different stories as to the correct fuel/oil ratio for the two stroke three cylinder yammy's. Yamaha's internet site, the dealer who sold me the engine, fellow yamaha owners, the owners manual, they all say different things :(, 100:1 or 50:1??? :-/ My main concern is that if the engine is actually supposed to run on 50:1 and I run 100:1 in it, then it will be running lean for the whole time and not getting enough oil :-/ :-/ Cheers Hurlz

bushbeachboy
17-10-2005, 09:18 PM
I had a 3 cyl Yammy 2 stroke and the book said 50 to 1, so I ran it at that with no worries.

Spaniard_King
18-10-2005, 06:43 AM
50:1

Anyone running 100:1 will suffer the consequenses sooner or later ::)

If ya don't like 2 stroke smoke GET A 4 BANGER :)

Garry

Billo
18-10-2005, 08:06 AM
I have been told the only oil that is up to the grade to run at or close to 100:1 is yamilube ....everything else is a gamble to say the least #...can anyone confirm or deny this ?

bigmack
18-10-2005, 09:46 AM
No one answered my question about bio degradability or environmentally friendly oils - but here is another question.

At 50:1 it worls out to be 20ml of oil per litre of petrol ...............right! I have the orignal mercury manual for our little motor and its all in imperial - i had nothing better to do so I worked out the imperial ratio and converted it to metric and it worked out to be 15ml of oil per litre. I did this because the little motor seems to be chucking a lot of oil into the water (large bucket in the driveway).

Will 5ml either way make a difference - I would just like to see less oil in the water.

ANy thoughts -

New_fisher
18-10-2005, 10:09 AM
bigmack, I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but 50:1 is always going to be 20ml per litre of fuel whether using imperial or metric. 15ml per litre is a ratio of 67:1. It may result in less oil but you will not be attaining 50:1 as recommended, having said that, if I have mistaken what you are trying to say, apologies. cheers, Hurlz

bigmack
18-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Hey Hurlz,

the old merc manual just says; add so many fluid ounces to a 5 gallon tank and I worked it back into metric for today and it worked out at 15ml per litre. Im sure the figures were correct - i used a web conversion tool. Just interested and wondered whether it had something to do with lead in the old fuel which acted as a lubricant of sorts and in the old days slightly less oil was needed.
Vintage 1969/70 motor & manual.

cheers
phill

New_fisher
18-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Phil, fair enough mate, dunno about the lead - interesting point, the old girl is still going strong? Cheers Hurlz