PDA

View Full Version : Handy Hints

Wello_Pete
18-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi guys

As a member of the Redland Boating Club, we receive a monthly magazine. #The October issue has some handy hints about stale fuel. #I know this has been covered on numerous occasions, but I pass on some of the (disturbing) hints for general discussion:
1. #old fuel has a reduced octane rating, which causes pre-ignition. #Pistons get burnt at the crown, and bearing failure can occur, due to oil separation;
2. #(an oil company) advises that 2 stroke oil has a solvent that keeps the oil dispersed in the fuel. #Over time the solvent dissapates, the oil separates and causes damage to the motor. #SO UNDER PERFECT CONDITIONS, DON'T HOLD YOU FUEL FOR MORE THAN 60 DAYS, AND FOR PRE-MIX, NO LONGER THAN 30 TO 45 DAYS
3. #Only use 2-stroke oil and not multigrade. #Multigrade does not mix properly, and doesn't burn as does a 2-stroke oil. #This causes ash deposits, piston scoring, and bearing failure.

Look forward to some lively debate from the experts here, who I rate highly

Cheers

Wear_the_fox_hat
18-10-2005, 10:34 PM
What can you do though???
I have had a owner of a fuel outlet tell me that sometimes the fuel delivered from the tankers is itself stale. They can smell that it's stale when they're putting it into the holding tanks at the servo.

WTFH