PDA

View Full Version : What to do, What to do.... New Boat

Moffy
18-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I have been negotiating to buy a second hand boat for a bl**dy long time (don't ask how long - but i haven't found anything equivalent up here in the meanwhile)

I finally got the owner to take me for a run in it on the weekend and last night to name his price.

Its a 1984 build 5.2m Cairns Custom Craft plate aluminium centre console (no pod) with a 1993 90hp oil injected Yamaha. engine. It has a 4mm hull and 2.4 beam. It has a new 16mm marine ply floor throughout.

For its age, the entire rig (boat motor and trailer) is in excellent condition. The owner is very strict with his maintenance and in this regard the boat is a credit to him (both inside and out and mechanically)

It comes with an old hummingbird sounder (10+yrs old), no gps, 220l underfloor fuel, 50 l underfloor water, underfloor kill tank, 2 new batteries, some basic safety gear, 4 anchors/chains with plenty of rope to fish the deep country out off here in cairns

The trailer has no brakes and i am certain it will need them to be able to get registered given the physical size of the boat. (the trailer is currently unregistered)

The rig has been in storage for the last 2 years and this is a concern itself.

I have had some feedback on here recently about motors being in storage which was very helpful, and with this boat, my main concern is that 6 months down the track the motor may start to show signs of it being in storage for that long, with engine mounts degrading quickly and more importantly the oil injection system failing.

The motor has been run over with a fine toothed comb since coming out of storage, from all the usual things to putting in a new head gasket, changing seals, changing gearbox oil twice (once before and once after taking it for a run to check seal integrity), new impellor etc)

The rig is in excellent condition (not just appearance wise, but on thorough inspection, including internals of the motor - rare to see such clean water jackets, or lack of wear inside the cylinders on a 12 year old motor that has had the use this one has - 450 hours).

That said, for me it is overpriced given its age and also given the fact that it has been in storage for the last 2 years.

Anyone have any thoughts on what a reasonable price may be given the potential issues and the age of the boat, and the need for brakes for the trailer and a GPS, but considering its excellent condition. A hard question i know without first hand knowledge of the boat, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Moffy

Mojo
18-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Moffy,

It's a bit hard to guess - what is a new one worth from CCC ? That would be a good point to work back from.

You have written a good sales listing, I think you may sell the boat for the owner !!! :) -

Trailer boat and motor, if it goes over 750kg it will need brakes, mechenical disks are good, but I have no idea what they would cost to get someone to fit them.

What is the owner asking for the rig. ?

Mojo

Spaniard_King
18-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Moffy,

The engine in good nik is worth 3-4K (its still 10 YO)

The boat only 5-6K fittings are worth zip over 10 years old

The Trailer.. well needing brakes its probly worth 1k at the most

If its as good as ya say i would be lookin at 9-10K

20 years old... keep reminding him ;)

Garry

Mr__Bean
18-10-2005, 07:06 PM
One here for reference that you may be able to work back from:

http://www.boatlocator.com.au/for-sale/trailer/11919

Not a direct comparison I know, but may assist if you do the price differences.

- Darren

Moffy
18-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Cheers for that guys.

Mono - upwards of $45K for a new one - but would be new style hull with pod (i.e no engine well intruding into cockpit etc)

Garry - thanks - pretty close to my assessment, though i'd valued the hull a bit higher - shows i'm not too far off in what i'm thinking.

Darren - cheers mate - best comparison i had was the same hull (but 3mm instead of 4) in pretty awful condition, but with a 100hr old 115 yammie 4 stroke for about what i reckon this one is worth, that hull was a dog though (had cracks welded up mid-panel it had been flogged that hard - was imo overpowered with the 115) -

There's a lot of sentiment in the owner's pricing - tied with him not really wanting to sell - and having owned it since new - makes it pretty much unjustifiable though unfortunately..

Have all but missed the season up here now anyway (too hot for trout soon - and shortly will not be ideal for night fishing with the storms coming on) - i've been pretty patient up till now, no reason i can't hold off a bit longer. :(

Moffy

FNQCairns
19-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Moffy I remember your last post on this boat and wondered if you had given up or what was going on.

I dont know what it's worth but if the point that it will be going to a good home means anything to this guy and it seem it does, you might be able to bargin a extra couple of thou down :) Worth a try! 8-)

Good luck with the haggling.

cheers fnq

PS I once got a girl I was chasing forever by pretending I had given up ;D [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

bigmack
19-10-2005, 12:16 PM
selling is all about price and it relates to everything. houses boats cars etc etc .

If he hasnt sold it yet - he doesnt want to sell. the market has indicated its reluctance to purchase at his price - it sounds like its been going on for quite a while.

Ask him directly - does he really want to sell or not. Here is my offer, take it or leave.

cheers

Wear_the_fox_hat
19-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Moffy,
Guaranteed you will have to get brakes fitted to the trailer & while you're at it, the axle will have to be checked for it's rating. At a guess it should be no less than 1200kg. With the newer laws now, insurance will wipe you if you have a ding with a trailer that is not rated up to scratch. I went through all this when I bought my second hand 5.2m Quintrex centre console. Ended up buying a new trailer & you won't get one for less than $2.5k that is of any quality. A lot of them as far as I'm concerned are only good for 10 minute trips to the ramp & back. On the up side, if you go new, you shouldn't have any trouble selling the old trailer, as they are always in demand second hand.

You may have done this, but check for electrolysis pitting INSIDE the hull, especially at the back end of the boat where water will sit during storage if not mopped dry. If you can't see the aluminium for grunge clean it off & have look. Fair chance there may be pitting in a boat this age.

Maybe you should look at the sums like this:
Cost of boat, motor & trailer - $10k
Maybe a new 2 stroke 90hp yammy after another couple of hundred hours - $10k fitted (that's if the old one dies & is worth nothing)
Maybe a new trailer or work done to old one - $1k to $3k

TOTAL $20,000 plus (maybe)

Please understand that I'm not trying to put a dampener on your dream, but that sort of money could buy you quite a nice hassle free outfit & most importatntly peace of mind if you intend going on long trips or overnighters.

Enjoy the ride,
WTFH

cooky
19-10-2005, 01:06 PM
hard to say how much it's worth, but CC carries a good name. I would have thought $9-12k. However tinnies do hold good value in NQ, so who knows.

billfisher
19-10-2005, 01:33 PM
It shouldn't cost much more than 8 K to get a new 90 2s if the existing motor expires. The scrap value will cover the fitting costs.

Wear_the_fox_hat
19-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Billfisher,
Can you let me know where you're getting your yammy prices from. Price I was quoted for 90hp 2st was well over $9k.

WTFH

whiteman
19-10-2005, 04:02 PM
When buying 2nd hand boats factor the motor out of the equation and work out the price as it is much easier to evaluate the condition of the hull and fittings. The "value" of the motor then becomes the negotiation point. A 10 year+ motor would have very little value for me, particularly if it's done minimal work. You simply don't know what sort of torture this piece of hardware has been through!

Moffy
20-10-2005, 08:08 AM
cheers again guys.

He's moving in the right direction with the price. still a bit above what i think is top dollar for it - but not too far now - going away for 2 weeks holidays now (incl 1 week fishing the cape 8-) and a week in Melbourne for the Cup :P) - will see where he is at on my return.

Moffy

cyclone
20-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Moffy have you had the floor up and looked at the welds underneath that age it would probably start to show signs of cracking but it sounds like it hasn't done to much work so maybe ok. $12000 sounds about right sort of money to me. Or you could always run your eye over this thing in town at the moment cheap at $20000 oh! sorry missed a couple of 0's 200 million apparently. nah the fuel would kill yah! Happy shopping Andrew.

Moffy
20-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Or you could always run your eye over this thing in town at the moment

one of its tenders would do me fine. 8-)