PDA

View Full Version : Horray it's about time!

FNQCairns
20-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Finally some real competion in the outboard market, I would buy this clone in a flash over the name brand.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Outboard-15hp-2-stroke-in-the-Box-brand-new_W0QQitemZ4582304669QQcategoryZ26451QQtcZphotoQ QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers fnq

Fishin_Dan
20-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Hmmmm.... Interesting!

Would be interested to watch how these go.... Don't know if I'd want to pay money to be the guinee pig though! ;)

Did I read it correctly, and that you only get a 6 month warranty???

Fishin_Dan
20-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Just looked up the website for the Marine Dealer the ad mentions http://www.ontheweekend.com.au, and it doesnt mention these outboards anywhere i could see.....?

Mad_Barry
20-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I'd be wanting a good look at it first. Could be like some of these el cheapo chinese import mini bikes & quads getting aound with the honda ct & yammy motor copys that pop up on ebay & all sorts of shops around the place. Most are just plain bottom of the barrell engineering crud. Sorta like the equivalant engineering and metallurgical standards used in a 100 piece tool set for 2 dollars from the local crazy price, cheapo type import shop.

FNQCairns
20-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Here is another one

These are the name brand engines, same production line etc different paint and sticker.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-40-HP-Outboard-Boat-Motor-like-Yamaha-Honda-Mercury_W0QQitemZ4582323240QQcategoryZ26451QQtcZph otoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess it is just starting, should be interesting in a couple of years.

6 months is really all that is needed to cover manufacturing faults, they will almost always show up in the early hours. With a basic engine like these a person would need to unlucky to have a real problem after that an before the end of a name brand warrenty.

Interested to see what the 40 goes for!

Fishin_Dan
20-10-2005, 11:37 AM
They're both using the same text in the ads, however, that second one doesnt mention a marine distributer, or who would service it....

Not sure I'd be too keen to jump straight in....

FNQCairns
20-10-2005, 12:02 PM
If my brain cells still serve me all of these engines are actually built in a factory with the name NISSAN painted on the side - has been the case for many years, force,marina,mercury tohatsu,yamaha and the nissan brand it's self but only the smaller engines up to like 60 or 70 hp. Each different colour of engine may have differing electrics or possibly legs but overall they are the same.

A smart way to crack the big guys here in Australia would be to contract mobile and small shop marine mechanics for the servicing. Just like cars any mechanic can do a service but sometimes only the authorised mechanic can fix a warrenty problem.

That 40 might end up a real bargain!

cheers fnq

Mad_Barry
20-10-2005, 01:59 PM
FNQ as far as I know, nissan aren't the manufacturer, tohatsu are. They are badged Nissan for the nth american market. Was talking a tohatsu dealer a while back, and while on his factory tour a few yrs ago he didn't get to see a tohatsu coming off the line as they were in the middle of a merc run & they were all painted black. ;D

I've just asked the seller a question re the 40 hp on ebay, basically about who manufactures it ;)
wonder if he'll post the answer ?

The next question will be which model Honda is his 40hp 2 stroke like, as suggested in the title of his ad ?

NEW 40 HP Outboard Boat Motor like Yamaha Honda Mercury

Fishin_Dan
20-10-2005, 02:17 PM
The next question will be which model Honda is his 40hp 2 stroke like, as suggested in the title of his ad ?

My guess would be the 40HP Honda ;) *LOL*

Will be keeping an eye on this thread I think...

2iar
20-10-2005, 03:09 PM

My guess would be the 40HP Honda ;) *LOL*

I think what Dicko means is that Honda haven't produced 2 strokes for a very long time...

Mike

Fishin_Dan
20-10-2005, 03:26 PM
That would be the ";) *LOL*" ;D

FNQCairns
20-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Dicko you would be right, that would make Tohatsu motor corp the manufacturers of all those other brand names also that italian brand (sevlor?) as well I guess.

As an offside I went into a mercury dealer and got a price on a new waterpump for the johnson then went to the johnson dealer for a price on the same part and they laughted at me asking them to match the mercury price until I told them I knew about all the masses of OMC spare parts sold to Brunswick during liquidation, they then dropped their price for me (a fair bit too!)
Strange dealings goes on in this outboard business.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
20-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Here is another one

These are the name brand engines, same production line etc different paint and sticker.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-40-HP-Outboard-Boat-Motor-like-Yamaha-Honda-Mercury_W0QQitemZ4582323240QQcategoryZ26451QQtcZph otoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess it is just starting, should be interesting in a couple of years.

6 months is really all that is needed to cover manufacturing faults, they will almost always show up in the early hours. With a basic engine like these a person would need to unlucky to have a real problem after that an before the end of a name brand warrenty.

Interested to see what the 40 goes for!

FNQ,

It will be interesting to see if he actually recieves the outboard??

My tip ..its a scam for one thing he stole a pic of the 40 off another seller :o

Garry

deb
20-10-2005, 09:01 PM
somethings look too good to be true ::) ::)

Mad_Barry
21-10-2005, 12:09 AM
I received an answer to my question. I notice it's not shown on the listing so I'll post it here,

Q: As per the comments in your advertisment, about re badging of out board motors. Which factory do these come out of, and who is the actual manufacturer and /or assembler of them ?

A: this is a chinese yamaha replica, parts are interchange able.

If it was a built & just rebadged motor from someone like yammy or tohatsu it would be worth looking at, (it can't be from Honda as they don't make a 2 stroke). I wonder if we should tell him that his ad is quite misleading ? particularly as he waffles on giving the impression that it's actually made of brand name components. ;)

To me it sounds a lot like the cheapo mini bike copies that are built using metal with the same structual properties as your kids dried out plasticine.

I wouldn't want one on my boat, well not for quite a few yrs anyway. By then they will have hopefully lifted their engineering and manufacturing standards and we'll probably be over run with them much like the post war era of japanese manufacturing.

FNQCairns
21-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Well it wont be long before the experiment starts I guess, a lot of people will take their advertisement on face value and not research them at all before putting their money down.

An outboard company without the huge advertising budget, executive salaries and associated corporate perks is what is needed, I had hoped this was one of those.

They would be better of doing a GMC, with a full 3 year replacement warranty and pricing at 1/3 that of the name brand :).

cheers fnq