PDA

View Full Version : Best Hooker

devocean
16-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Bet that gets everybodies attention. Now seriously I have been hunting for a boat for a very long time but I have finally found the boat for me. Went to the reef in a 6metre hooker longboat the other day, what a ride.

The ride was completely dry even in 1.5 metre NQ choppy swell and what stabi;lity over the swell. This boat ticks all the boxes and I will say it rides better than the haines patriot I was in a few weeks ago.

This boat is awesome and the best part is it still maintains good speed in rough conditions. Dd about 80km in about 1hr and 15 minutes (90 honda). Seriously Ihave been checking out a lot of plateys and fibres but this boat is awesome.

Anybody know where I can get a goiod second hand one let me know

Thanks Dan

Mantaray
16-09-2005, 07:38 PM
So what minimum of 35 knots? wow in a 6m boat with a 90 in 1.5m seas and completely dry, now that's wild man!

dfox
16-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Devo- id check a lot of the commercial fishing brokers sites, there a commonly used live trout boat so there should be the odd one come up for sale...foxy

bluewaterbandit
16-09-2005, 09:51 PM
sounds like a beast

Barrymundi
17-09-2005, 05:01 AM
mine is for sale

6m 90 honda

0408 270 908

dfox
17-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Show me the money dan!!$$$$ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bugs
17-09-2005, 06:54 PM
mine is for sale

6m 90 honda

0408 270 908

Al, what's your opinion of the claim then?

Bugs

Outsider
17-09-2005, 08:14 PM
I've come straight here from the Double Muff post.

Obviously I can't win.

FNQCairns
17-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Outsider #;D ;D

FNQCairns
17-09-2005, 09:55 PM
They are narrow for length so should outperform all of the variable deadrise hulls in a straight line I guess. But how much better than a classic hull design (which it looks like) is it? because it is simply skinnier.

Barrymundi
18-09-2005, 06:00 AM
My best REAL speed is 30 knots. I usually cruise around 22 to 25 knots.

I think some distance calculations might be a bit wrong with the original posting. Maybe the distance was from the sounder and not a GPS. A different prop might give a couple of extra knots.

If it is true, I have a problem. :o

Al

devocean
18-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Al I have PM ed ya with a few questions

Mantaray
18-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Do you think we can all be included in the huddle? But at least once the final concenus is reached off screen could one of you provide some feedback?

Personally I believe 35 knots in 1.5 metres of choppy swell in a 6m with 90hp is a bit far fetched! But if it's that good then everybody should be lining up?

dfox
18-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeh mantaray those figures dont add up, but none the less dan liked the boat so it will be interesting to see if a sale can be made. hope all works out :)...foxy

luress
18-09-2005, 07:35 PM
I know that its far fetched , you'd be lucky to do 10 knots youd get the crap bashed out of you and your clothes would be wet .
regards Gary

Barrymundi
18-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Do you think we can all be included in the huddle? But at least once the final concenus is reached off screen could one of you provide some feedback?

What the ?

Mr__Bean
19-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Do you think we can all be included in the huddle? ##

LOL, it seems somethings never change.

Some guy gets himself onto a good hooker, then finds out his mates want to watch.

What a classic.

- Darren

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mantaray
19-09-2005, 09:54 AM

What the ?

Al, There appears to be some discrepencies here but I for one would like to hear all the discussion to be able to form an opinion on just what is what. Once discussion/comments/queries go underground then what's the point, something to hide or can we all be in on the comments?

whiteman
19-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Big Al

Devocean must have been riding in the all new, improved version of the Hooker, the one you pitched for in your last issues in F&B (or whatever mag it was). As good as your boat is, I copped a couple of solid sprays when we were punching into a smaller sea than 1.5m - you wouldn't have noticed as you were huddled behind the screen!

youngfisho
19-09-2005, 01:27 PM
mmmmmm shades of 2 foot nq chop post. Have heard good things about hooker boats. especially the 6.7m centre console (not longboat) i reckon if its a good price then go for it. 6m with a 90 would go well, save you plenty of money at the pump too.

andrew

devocean
19-09-2005, 05:38 PM
You can say what you want I was there I came home dry and like I said I went out in a patriot a while ago and this thing was way better than that in very similar conditions.

I might have got the speed wrong a bit but it still cruised home quicker than any tinny (plate) Ive ever been in and I didnt need to get to the chiro afterwards.

Barrymundi
19-09-2005, 06:24 PM
They are a nice boat, glass will always give a better ride than ally.

Al

Barrymundi
19-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Mantaray,

not real sure on your posting, nothing to hide !!!!!

As stated my boat does 30 knots, ride is excellent.

I have three people discussing purchasing this boat

My phone number is 0408 270 908 if you would like more details or ask direct questions and I will post direct answers.

Al

Leo_N.
20-09-2005, 04:29 PM
I've been trying to work out the different Hooker boat designs. The one pictured above by Al is the classic longboat style, but there are some made with an extended transom and wider beam.

Do they make the extended transom model in a 6m boat, or just the 7-8m?

Has anyone ridden/driven in both to make a comparison?

Leo_N.
20-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Oh yeah, and how easy is the basic longboat design to get in and out of for spearing Dan? I would have thought difficult without an extended transom.

devocean
22-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Good dive ladder always the ticket and yes much easier than gettig into a tinny when you are a puny bloke like myself with an extra 6kg of lead weightas around your ass

Mantaray
22-09-2005, 07:58 PM
You can say what you want I was there I came home dry and like I said I went out in a patriot a while ago and this thing was way better than that in very similar conditions.

I might have got the speed wrong a bit but it still cruised home quicker than any tinny (plate) Ive ever been in and I didnt need to get to the chiro afterwards.

Don't need to be there but would appreciate some plausable numbers.

devocean
23-09-2005, 11:08 AM
So you want the esky count do ya?

Angla
23-09-2005, 12:15 PM
No 9 Mark Riddell so my son says.
Parramatta Hooker

Angla

FNQCairns
23-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Devocean if you like the longboats here is an option for ya! Cheap and he has a few by the look of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PNG-BANANA-BOAT_W0QQitemZ4577414820QQcategoryZ102698QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

devocean
24-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Nah I have been in all types of long boats and they are definetly not all the same thats why I got quite excited with thistype because it just performed so well.

Mick
27-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I was in the boat on the same day as Dan, and spent both days of the previous week end diving out of this boat. All devo's numbers are correct however he did forget to mention that when we left the reef it was flat and gradualy built to a 1.5 meter chop as we drew closer to land. (Normal NE sea breeze) So, it wasn't a 1.5 meter chop the entire ride home - only the last quarter maybe. Thats all.
mmmmm....., I want one too!

http://www.spearfishing.com/gallery/picturesaxd/hookerboat_119897773.JPG

dfox
27-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Fellas , the numbers just dont add up? i dont want an arguement but id go back and check your figures again!

Distance travelled-aprox: 80km

time taken- aprox: 1hr 15min

This equates to an average speed of 34.55knots or 64 km per hour.
Even at full Throttle in flat seas the boat in question could not have obtained these figures...
Als boat is near identical and even allowing for different props he said his top speed is only 30 knotts. Put a 1.5 meter sea onto these figures for the last part of your trip and the calculations are even more out?

Hope that this helps in some way..catch ya...foxy

FNQCairns
27-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Mick can we go back and throw a some poppers at that little bomie behind the boat please! :( Just for a little while!! :'( ;D

Nice pic of a great place!!!

cheers fnq

Barrymundi
27-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Everybody wants a Hooker, not willing to part with the dollars.

This post has raised plenty of PM's re the sale of my Hooker, price is scaring them off, I might have to drop the price and give her away, (just kidding)

With your distance calculation, what did you use to measure the distance travelled ?

Al

Mad_Barry
28-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Maybe Al's just fat ? ;D

<------------

Mick
28-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Dfox, a 6m hooker with a new 90hph and a good prop can do 33 - 34 knots in calm seas - no worries at all. In saying this you have to take Dan with a grain of salt. Distance may have been a touch under 80kms and he might of timed the trip on the way to the reef with better conditions instead of the time taken to get home which were rougher conditions and maybe a longer trip..., who knows. ::)
But, its not far fetched, me motored out there and back, going flat biccy the whole way.
Spoke to Hooker Boat dealer today for the first and probably last time..., keep dreaming Mick.....

dfox
28-09-2005, 04:27 PM
I guessed that was the case mick ;) But in saying that its not to good for the engine having it at full noice for those lengths of time, lol. you fellas must have been in a hurry ;D ;D ...foxy

Leo_N.
29-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Sounds and looks like a great rig.

Unfortunately I don't have the money but I think these boats go for about $30k new and with the extras, floatation etc., I would be pretty stoked to pick it up for $20k.

scuttlebutt
29-09-2005, 11:01 AM
What's a rig like that worth new? I'm thinking well over 30!

cheers,

steve

Mick
29-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Sell it to dan!

The only 6m hooker i knew that was sold second hand went for 30k.

devocean
29-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Al I am still interested though bit out of price range by a few thou so am saving desperately need to get back to the reef

Barrymundi
29-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Can the 33knot hooker with the 90HP Honda give me some prop details.

30 maybe 31 is really pushing it in mine, 6200 rpm ?

Dicko, it is the the fat CREW that slow me down #;D

Purely out of interest, what would you expect to pay for second hand hooker. A few people have emailed me about the boat and I wonder what price they were expecting. Remember this a 6M boat

Some details on the boat, #
#
Built to 1C Survey with a certification of positive flotation, cost an extra $1000 #
3/4 length Bow rails #
Rear set with fold over #
Dual Battery #
Live bait tank #
Underfloor kill tank #
180 litre Aluminium Tank, not a fibreglass one #
Navman Marine Radio #
Navman GPS Chart Plotter 5600 #
Furuno 582L Colour Sounder #
Safety gear for offshore, 2 x EPIRBS, Flares, Stobe Lights etc #
Anchors and heaps of good rope #
Scotty Downrigger #
Reelax Outriggers #
90HP Honda with 170 hours. #
Trailer extra rollers and bigger wheels than normal, tows very well #
Age - 2 years #
#

Condition is better than new, I am very fussy with my boats

Al

Mantaray
29-09-2005, 07:03 PM
conditions and maybe a longer trip..., who knows

Lots of maybe this, maybe that but who does know? Far fetched is starting to sound mroe probable by the sounds of others who own them.

Scott15
29-09-2005, 07:17 PM
i fish in my mates hooker a bit, best ride ive had in a boat. extremely stable,dry and comfortable. Just imagine the 8m model :o :o

Barrymundi
29-09-2005, 08:04 PM
cost around $45000 fitted out.

Al

Leo_N.
01-10-2005, 12:49 PM
What's a rig like that worth new? #I'm thinking well over 30! #

cheers,

steve

I thought $30 was the basic boat, trailer, motor. All the other additions add up a lot.

Barrymundi
02-10-2005, 06:41 AM
There you go Devocean, give Leo a call and you can get one for $30,000.

I will pass his details onto the other 6 people who have contacted me.

Al

Mantaray
02-10-2005, 07:25 PM
That would be a good price ................... if it did everything that was claimed!

Leo_N.
03-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Al, no offence intended mate. By the sound of your reply I was way out. What was the basic hull, motor and trailer price?

Barrymundi
03-10-2005, 02:16 PM
No problem my end, guess I need to add a smiley face every now and then
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you change a
90HP 4 stroke to a 70 2 stroke
Reduce trailer to a smaller one
remove spare wheel
remove extra bow rails
remove seat, cushion, back support
remove Navman 5600 colour plotter
remove Furuno 582l
remove hour gauge
remove offshore safety gear
remove real anchor (s)
remove downrigger
remove Outriggers
remove survey certificate
remove hydraulic steering
Remove VHF Radio
remove Stainless Prop, I was actually shocked this was an extra.
remove

I reckon then you might get to around $34000, I think the bare hull is around $16500, trailer was $4500 add a motor.

Check this months edition of Bush and Beach, Page 19 "Wild Boats" price looks good if price is the major factor. I also see they have the Hooker rate to 100HP max on the 5.9M I know a few with 115HP motors.

Al

Mantaray
03-10-2005, 09:04 PM
So apart from the "survey certificate" and it's a bit of a furfy why one would really want to go to all the trouble and expense of a "survey certificate" for a 6m boat anyway, what's any of the rest got to do with anything? nothing there that is out of place with any 6m boat

But does it do everything that is claimed now that is the important stuff, the rest is unimportant and no different to any 6m boat

jman
04-10-2005, 06:53 AM
I have a 5 meter hooker 05 model with a 50hp honda, good for 26 knots flat out, cruises at around 21 comfortably.
I got caught in 25knots & 1.9 meter seas around three
weeks ago and still stayed on the plane when i couldn't see over the swells standing at the helm. They perform very well in the chop but its an open boat and unless your head on in to it you will wear the odd one in the face.
But even in those conditions it never felt like we were in trouble, i was leaving larger boats in my wake as we crossed grafton passage heading back to Cairns, i would recommend one to anybody, and am saving already for the 6 meter version, the 5m will get you there alright but the 6m will save your back....i can only dream of the 7m or 8m.

Barrymundi
04-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Your right jman, bloody good boats, the 5m boats are in my opinion the best of the range,

Al

Barrymundi
04-10-2005, 07:20 PM
rest is unimportant and no different to any 6m boat

Suggest you have another read of the options before you jump in with crap,

How many boats have a Furuno 582l or a good set of outriggers.

Not standard equipment on 6 metre boats.

Al

fishextremes
04-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Ahhh its good to see that there are boat experts on this post if it wasn't for mantaray I would have rushed out and bought that hooker but thanks to his knowall attitude I will look around for a boat with extras for about 5000.It depends what sort of fishing you do if you chase barra then the out riggers downrigger and gps would be useless but if you chase marlin or macks perfect.I can only take it that you have a 6m or bigger boat or are you just an expert with an opinion.I see lots of 6m boats with these extras being a member of a game club.As for the survey issue you don't know whether this guy plans to charter or he runs it off a mother ship,both need to be surveyed
keep up the great posts mantaray
regards bugsy ;D

Mad_Barry
04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
So apart from the "survey certificate" and it's a bit of a furfy why one would really want to go to all the trouble and expense of a "survey certificate" for a 6m boat anyway,

That would depend on how, or even 'if' you wanted a boat to remain afloat if swamped.

Barrymundi
05-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi Dicko,

True, this boat will float if swamped. They advertise built to survey, I confirmed mine is.

Al

Good luck at Faust, we should be going Billfishing this weekend then 2 weeks barra fishing

Mantaray
05-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Since when does "extras" make something a better boat, as far as the boat goes? Since when did a 582L become the sole rights of hooker?

How many boats have a Furuno 582l?

Now that is such and amazing comment I even find that funny as what a funny statement as this "standard equipment" thing sounds like a take it or leave it thing, which can distract from the actual boat itself. The requirments of one person don't suit all. A 582L does not make a boat.

And Dicko why do you relate a "survey certificate" to the boat remaining afloat if swamped? How do you confirm a boat is built to survey?

Mad_Barry
05-10-2005, 11:35 AM
And Dicko why do you relate a "survey certificate" to the boat remaining afloat if swamped? How do you confirm a boat is built to survey?

For boats 6m or under to be commercially registered requires the manufacturer to subject the boat with full weight of motor, crew/passengers to a "swamp testing." It has to remain upright and afloat while full of water. A one-off manufacturer has to do this for every boat. A larger manufacturer has to submit one, get it approved then can sign off on future models of the same specifications. The confirmation is from QLD transport, or the surveyor who conducted the test.

(The extra cost is for extra flotation. either in sealed cavities or closed cell urethane foam. not that cheapo styrene that disintergrates with fuel either. I looked at purchasing a 580 southwind a few yrs ago & was quoted something like $1200 or $1500 extra for survey standard).

That's called "level" flotation. Most recreational boats would be lucky to meet the requirements of "Basic" flotation, which is the boat has to remain afloat in some fashion with the crew able to cling to the outside. There's quite a few boats out there that wouldn't even meet that simple requirement.

Australian recreational boat standards are slowly changing, follow the progress in Fish and Boat magazine over the last year or 2. The changes are pretty well based around the US coast guard standards. For definitions of how & where bouyancy is needed & calculations to achieve level flotation, have a read here, (I have a pdf file of the same thing but can't attach it)

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/flotation/definitions.htm

Some may consider it to be a wank for recreational boats, as you have, but some see it as a basic requirement in a boat for family use ;)

Mantaray
05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Dicko, Do you see a "survey certificate" to mean the same thing as being in survey? But does a "survey certificate" (built to survey) cover a swamp test?

Mad_Barry
05-10-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't see your point ::)

It obviously can't be "In Survey" as such, as it is privately registered and doesn't have current commercial rego.

But being built to the survey requirements & having the relevant flotation certificates, will allow it to pass the flotation requirements to be registered for commercial use, at a later date if someone wanted to.

Mantaray
05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Trying to determine the point between "built to survey", which generally with glass boats is the physical test of the glass as in during construction as it is extremely difficult to get get a survey certificate after the fact. Still trying to find out if a "survey certificate" (built to survey) specifically covers a swamp test?

Mad_Barry
05-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Still trying to find out if a "survey certificate" (built to survey) specifically covers a swamp test?

Yes it does. as said in previous post. providing the manufacturer has previously had a boat of the same spec's swamp tested & approved by QLD transport or registered surveyor they can issue certificates.

This was my understanding when going thru the excercise 2 odd yrs ago. for up to date info you're best off talking to QLD Transport.

Barrymundi
05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Mantaray, I think you have lost the plot fella, follow the posting, read slowly, the reread it. The last part we are talking about is PRICE, the ability of the boat has been discussed in the first page.

PS Ever seen a Qunitrex full of water, "don't float"

Al

Bugs
05-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Some interesting comments and it's quite understandable why some people get a little confused with what survey actually means?

6 metres is a magic length and I can't see for the life of me why manufacturers bother with 6 metre boats as 6 metre boats are quite simply a pain in the butt when it comes to survey. The first thing some should change the thinking on is to change the word certificate for compliance as a survey certificate is not the same as survey compliant, a survey certificate is issued generally after a vessel is deemed compliant and being compliant takes a few different roads and requirements.

A vessel less than 6 metres is or can be survey compliant if the manufacturer says so, it can be that simple and if one looks at some of the better boat builders there is a very good reason why many of the UB's as it might be noticed are in the 5.8's or even 5.95's as it makes one hell of a difference as far survey purpose and use is concerned, one big hell of a difference.

6 metres and over a production vessel simple can not become survey compliant without prior notification to the department, plans, spot inspections during construction, tests etc must be completed on each vessel submitted or it is possible for a sister ship to be classed the same but a sister ship can only be the ship either side of the submitted vessel but still a type of frowned on defacto way to achieve survey compliance.

Swamp tests can be accepted on "type" but there is quite a varied range of requirements as well as the new air floatation certificate., which applies to some of the new poly vessels.

It is far more complicated than what most people appear to make it sound and manufacturers in many cases use the survey word a little more than they probably should.

Mantaray
05-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Mantaray, I think you have lost the plot fella, follow the posting, read slowly, the reread it. The last part we are talking about is PRICE, the ability of the boat has been discussed in the first page.

PS Ever seen a Qunitrex full of water, "don't float"

Al

Yes well the ability was discussed but there appears to be some discontinutity in the acceptance of the claims? I believe far fetched was the term used and from my perpective quite rightly so. If anybody has anything to substantiate the claim that a 6m boat with a 90 on the rear can do 35 knots in a 5 foot sea then please step forward.

And as for the price this claim about how many boats have a 582L is farcical and unimportant to the capabilities of the boat. Outriggers? now there's a real joke! Standard equipment is quite a laugh when it comes to boats, distracts from the things that are important.

TonyM
05-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Manatray - time to let it go mate ;) In through nose out through mouth :)

Dicko - Thanks for the info and the link, interesting stuff although I have to admit am wayyyy too tired to take it in :D I've had a few boats that are "to survey" or "in survey" or ... who cares what ya call it they floated when you filled em up apparently, luckilly never had to find out for sure :) But I like the feeling of knowing if something bad happened there might be something between me and the big tigers and hammerheads that love my favourite fishing spots :D

Can't wait to get my new Poly 530 in the water tommorow as it's my next "to", "in", "on", survey (floats) Boat and I think I'll feel far more confident in it than I ever have after getting to see the hull design up close under the flooring (very nice work by Poly I reckon)

These Hookers certainly look like a very interesting boats! Would love to go for a ride in one sometime.

rando
05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Manta -ray
I think you might have got stuck on the capabilities debate.
On my reading of the thread most people moved on to a price/value for money issue ,hence the equipment list , and if i was in the market i'd be very interested in what i got for my bucks. :)
cheers
rando

Barrymundi
06-10-2005, 05:25 AM
My boat was surveyed for eight passengers.

Bungs removed, weights added.

Independent Inspection my Naval architect

Boat length is 5.9M

Why?

Boat was to used commercially plus I cant swim and fish alone.

Al

Mojo
06-10-2005, 07:13 AM
On the "Survey" business. Stinger Boats have actual "Design Approval" and "Positive Flotation" and "Practical Stability Test" Certificates from DOT for their under 6M boats, and loads of their Stinger 723's have 2C survey certificates (2C survey is 15 miles to sea all weather)
"Bugs" comments are correct on difficulty of obtaining a "real" survey certificate. Too many small boat manufacturers throw the word "Survey" around without any real substance to their claims. Mojo

Mantaray
06-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Rando, As I see it the capabilities debate was never finialized, simply brushed aside after some rather rash comments were made, some were very quick to move on. Your welcome to your opinion of value for $ as far as the fixed equipment list is concerned. Equipment lists aren't one of my main critera for selecting a boat or a boats actual capabilities, comes a long way down the line in fact.

rando
06-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I cant argue mate, as I dont know that much about powerboats. It just seemed you were coping flak for trying to resolve the capabilities question when most people had accepted the the claims were based on perception rather than hard data. :)
rando

Barrymundi
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Mantaray,

YOU WIN, what ever you say is correct, you are the best, thank you for your input.

If you need information regarding boat performance, boat price, survey, accessories or how to continue a post annoying people ask MANTARAY, I salute you.

devocean
06-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Geez who would have guessed this is gone on for this long, reckon it almost rivals boat of the year thread (thought troy would have got on this one for sure) still saving my money Al dont sell it yet

bushbeachboy
06-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Hey Devo,
The main thing is that you liked the boat. Keep saving your money and buy it. In the end it doesn't matter if its the fastest, quietest most fuel efficient, best riding boat around. If you liked it go for it!!!!
Cheers
Bushbeachboy

krazyfisher
07-10-2005, 06:45 AM
boats are sooooooooooo personal. its like putting up a pic of your misses and getting people to give feedback. not a lot of good can come from it

Mantaray
07-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Mantaray,

YOU WIN, what ever you say is correct, you are the best, thank you for your input.

If you need information regarding boat performance, boat price, survey, #accessories or how to continue a post annoying people ask MANTARAY, I salute you.

If you need information regarding boat performance? Well yes I did seek, was seeking infomation regarding performance but was very quickly brushed aside then followed the excuses and attemped put down. But if asking a question annoys you then I don't give a dam.

Barrymundi
07-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Read through the first 3 pages.

or

ASK A QUESTION ?

TonyM
07-10-2005, 04:34 PM
boats are sooooooooooo personal. its like putting up a pic of your misses and getting people to give feedback. #not a lot of good can come from it

hehe very wise words - you aint krazy at all I think :D

whiteman
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Devo

Thanks for the original post ... NOT!

Coming back from Palm Island with Al_NFI on board in my Quinnie with 15-20knots up our a*** in a 1m+ swell and and if he said it once he said it a 1,000 times .... "I'd be doin' 35 knots if we were in my Hooker".

BORING!!!!

FNQCairns
10-10-2005, 05:56 PM
"I'd be doin' 35 knots if we were in my Hooker".

Better watch out! that WILL throw your back out! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mad_Barry
11-10-2005, 03:28 PM
boats are sooooooooooo personal. its like putting up a pic of your misses and getting people to give feedback. not a lot of good can come from it

So is anyone going to post up a pic of their missus to prove this theory ?

or do we need that beret wearing gay bloke and his dorky side kick from myth busters to come in here and solve it for us ?

And while they're at it, should they take a look at the riddle of the 35knot in 1.5 m sea Hooker ?

;D

Mantaray
11-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Read through the first 3 pages.

or

ASK A QUESTION ?

ASK A QUESTION! Questions about capabilities, not dreams but capabilities

a. will a 90 hp push a 6m hooker at 35 knots?
b. will a 6 m hooker do 35 knots in a 1.5m sea?
c. will a 90 hp push a 6m hooker at 35 knots in a 1.5m sea?

Barrymundi
21-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Been away fishing

a - NOT mine
b - no idea, depends on the motor, maybe a 225 ?
c - NOT mine

Mantaray
21-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Been away fishing

a - NOT mine
b - no idea, depends on the motor, maybe a 225 ?
c - NOT mine

That sounds reasonable, doubt yours would be any different to anybody else's?

dicko1980
21-10-2005, 07:16 PM
I have a mate at work with a 6m Hooker powered by a 75 Merc 2stroke. Everyone who does a trip in his boat, comments how well they ride and how dry they are. Tomorrow I will ask him top speed and what he cruises at, I have been told but cannot remember the exact figures, but they are close to Al_NFI's. I think some need to ride in these boats to believe how well they handle and how fast the hull is with minimal horsepower is. There's nothing better than to hose some diehard off on the way home from a trip in their plate boats and leave them in your wake!!!

Cheers
/me :D

Mantaray
21-10-2005, 07:30 PM
What we need are the real figures not somebody's imagination.

In a 1.5 metre, 5 foot sea a 6m boat is still only 6 metres long and would like to hear from anybody with any boat that could handle 35 knots, maybe 30 knots? or 25 knots or even say 20 knots for any length of time. Much like setting the throtle for X knots and not touching it for an hour in a 5 foot sea, big ask, yes big ask, a 5 foot sea is a big big ask in any 6m boat i would think?