PDA

View Full Version : E-tec

Kendall249
23-10-2005, 03:10 AM
I was looking for some information on whether the evinrude e-tec motors live up the claims made by evinrude and if anyone who owns one in any size, has had any problems?

Badone
23-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Kendall, I just put a 90hp e-tec onto a long boat and have done 5hrs only. The motor has more poke than the 90 yammie I previously owned. I did a trip for about 4hrs last week and only used 50l whereas the yammie would have used 90l so that was a great fuel saving. I think people who say the e-tecs are quieter are kidding themselves. At idle they are definitely quieter but above say 2500revs the difference compared to the yammie 2-stroke is negligible. The motor also seems to run a litle rough between 1500rpm and 2500rpm which I am hoping is just the computer adding a little extra oil for a run in period. If not then I have a 3yr warranty. So far I am pretty happy. Simon.

duckbill
23-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Kendall

159 hours on mine in 10 months and everything fine. I get about 1.5nm/l from my 75 which is mounted on a Souther Star UB520, always starts iinstantly and low on the oil too... I find it almost as quiet as a 4 stroke when idling and the same noise when blasting along...

madman1
24-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Badone,

The Etec's dont have a run in period. Its get in and go your hardest. I had problems with my 90 Etec a while back when the revs were varying from 1700rpm to 2200rpm just before the boat got on the plane( it powers a 525 stacer cuddy). It was the computer trying to decide whether or not i was going to increase speed/revs (ie more fuel) or decrease speed/revs(less fuel)

It was all sorted out free of charge and explained. If you are concerned about take it back and they have to address the issue. There may have been a change in the EMM program that you require (dont worry it will be free of charge).

If your are in bris i cannot recommend highly enough River City Marine at Albion. Dean is a wealth of knowledge and nothing is too much trouble.

PM if you need more info.

Cheers

Mark

Badone
24-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Mark, Thanks I will give River City Marine a ring. I did not buy the boat off them but I did ring them when i was looking and they seemed entirely professional. I bought the boat from another mob because they could supply the motor fastest.Hopefully, as it is a warranty issue, it wont matter who fixes it. The problem sounds exactly like you describe it. Thanks Simon.