PDA

View Full Version : polycraft boats

Flyseyes
22-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Thinking about getting a polycraft , can any 1 tell me of the down side to these hulls , all i've heard is good reports.

krazyfisher
22-10-2005, 02:52 PM
1. slippery
2. wet very wet

but still would buy one over a press tinny inthe 4.55. i would buy the 4.1 if that was the size I was after. most people will have something to say about them, the ones that say good things seem to own one the one s that say bad things dont seem to own one. I had a poly 4.55 side console. love the idea of poly I just think that they have a bad hull design or should I say the hull seems to be much the same as a pressed tinny and i can not understand why they dont use more of a glass design also they have gone up in price alot if it was not going to be a creek boat I would go with a glass boat

troy
22-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Ask in the Townsville area they are doing test runs for the public this sunday.
troy

Mantaray
23-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Can you see the poly sales promoter saying these boats are "Wet Very Wet"?

No? didn't think so, that's the problem with public demo's.

TonyM
23-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Can you see the poly sales promoter saying these boats are "Wet Very Wet"?

No? didn't think so, that's the problem with public demo's.

I think Troy said "test Runs" not "Demos". What's the problem? You get to see for yourself what the boats characteristics are when your butt is in it ;)

The earlier model Polys seem to put up more spray than the later models (5.99 and 5.30) as they have made several revisions to the hull design over time (as all boat makers do)

Mantaray
23-10-2005, 08:04 PM
You get to see what the poly sales promoter wants you to see, people like krazyfisher tell it from their experiences over a little bit longer period than a selective spin around the "test run".

Mantaray
23-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey Tony, how is your poly going?

TonyM
23-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi Mantaray,

The fitout is now basically finished, few little bits tommorow morning and it's time to get it wet! - will rego it tommorow and give it a full on workout this week. I'll even be going out if the weather is average so I can really put it through it's paces (as long as the weathers not crazy I'll be out) # :)

edit: I just had a look at the weather, looks like it will get tested quite well ;D

Once I've had a chance to really put it through it's paces I'll put up a post of how it goes - I'll probably take a few other ausfishers I know for a spin too so they might even add their 2 bobs worth!

pegasus
23-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi JG, do not know what area your in but believe there is also a test day occurring Brisy area(Redcliffe) Cunningham Marine coming up shortly -give em a ring if interested.
cheers,
lew

Jordy_Barramonger
23-10-2005, 11:27 PM
the price man. 20grand for the 4.55 with 60 yam on the back. and for the 5 meter 35grand with a hundred yammy. they want this much for a plastic tub no way. stick to glass man, unless the drop there price, these people are greedy man..

Leo_N.
24-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I went on a test drive in the 530 in Townsville on Saturday. Very smooth riding in the chop, but did cop one spray over the side. This was a centre-console, and realistically you have to expect a bit of water over the side in a open boat don't you? Definately no more wet than other similar sized centre-consoles that I have been in.

BTW Tony, check your PM's. I posed a few questions there that you might be able to help me out with.

Cheers,
Leo

Leo_N.
24-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that this boat was verrrry stable. We had 5 people in the boat, and no noticable movement sideways when any of us moved around. We all moved over to one side, and it only tilted appreciably when the last person (me at 102kg) moved over with the rest of them.

krazyfisher
24-10-2005, 03:28 PM
yes they are better than a bad to average tinny. I have been in the first of the 5.99 wet you have no idea!!!! and as for price 3yrs ago got my 4.55 side console mbt$10500 big proce rise for the money they want now I would buy glass.....I still want a 4.1poly

pegasus
24-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey Jordy- it pays to shop around on the prices-

a mate is getting a 5.3m c/c 115hp suzi 4 s- I believe it will come in just over 30 k- thats with all the bits.

Ref- 4.55- I have 4.55 m frontrunner,50 suzi 4 s,carpet ,side pockets,bimini /clears, rocket launcher, live bait tank and board,berely bucket,navman plotter,matrix 37 sounder and other bits/pces- bought May 05- came in under 20 K- Hull/tlr and o/b only price under 15.4k

regards,
lew

MrWong
25-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Heres some info on a 5.3m Centre consul Poly - This is what I am purchasing -
cheers ;)

Polycraft 5.3 Centre Console
Suzuki 115hp 4 stroke
RM H/D Trailer
Burly Bucket
Live Bait Tank Plumbed – add-on on the rear transom
Navigation Lights 6 switch panel Ladder
Ski tow hooks
Side Pockets x 1 left hand side
Motor Fitting and Cables
Dual Batteries and Isolator Switch
$29 229

FNQCairns
25-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I went for a run in the 6m? 140 4 suzuki with a foil on it :-? What the!!.

The conditions near shore were about as rough as any thinking offshore boater would need to come home in most times, gusting 20+kn with 30km of fetch.

This 5 min joy ride was out of Yorkeys to the first beacon, it did the job ok, I got wet, the boat is beamy for lenght with a bunch of interior space and high gunnels, to change the ride and dryness takes extra/redesigned deadrise and entry, less beam and sometimes more bow flare but then the hull would have to be narrower with less interior room. It may also need another 30+ HP to perform the same.

The boat flexes along its lenght and everywhere else quite noticably esp when bridging/entering the next wave, this extra flex takes a lot of the jar out of the ride compared to an aluminium boat of around the same design.

My 2 bobs worth is if a person is a solid rough water boater stay away there are far better boats around but as an average fishermans boat who will encounter some rough every now and then, who wants a safe feeling boat with heaps of room and an acceptable ride for its lenght/width/deadrise in part because of the flex, also fine at rest stability, it works well.

Now if I can only work out why a demo boat had a foil fitted to the outboard [smiley=freak.gif]

Mantaray
25-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Now if I can only work out why a demo boat had a foil fitted to the outboard [smiley=freak.gif]

Probably much the same reason why some certain 6m alloys have foils AND trim tabs fitted!

FNQCairns
25-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Dont know about those alloys Mantaray, I asked what was wrong with this setup because of the foil but didn't get an answer past a blank stare.

It could have been they were too slack/inexperienced to replace the stock prop with one that works or the hull needed it anyway or just because of the weight of the 4 st - I dont know just guessing.

People dont put them on for no reason but no reason is good enough to fit them IMO.

cheers fnq

Daintreeboy
25-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Hey FNQ my brother is getting one of those but with the new 150 susi. The extra grunt should make it go that much better. Looking forward to christening it!!
Cheers, Mark.