PDA

View Full Version : Sounder Problem

BLOCKER
26-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Iwas after some advice on my Sounder. It is a Humminbird DX250 whihc came with the boat I purcahsed a few months ago second hand. The sounder has been fine up until my last trip last weekend. The sounder does not turn on when you press the power button.

I was wondering does the sounder have a fuse built in that may have failed or should I be searching for a fault in the power wires?

Thanks Blocker

Jeremy
26-10-2005, 02:06 PM
The sounder units are sealed and connot be opened. I'd be searching for a fault in the electrics leading to the sounder. A spare nav light does the job for me. If it does turn out to be the unit, give Bob Little Agencies a call. They are in Brisbane and I am pretty sure they will repair any Hummingbird unit for $140. Otherwise time for a new sounder.

Jeremy

SundownMarine
26-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Blocker,

The DX250 is getting a bit long in the tooth these days.
As you are in Redcliffe we would recommend you bring the unit into the store here and we will happily test the unit on our display and we can go from there.That way we can establish if you have a power supply problem or not.

Sundown Marine.

gavsgonefishing
26-10-2005, 02:33 PM
First thing I would do is trace your power leads through, see if the connections are ok, not a visual, give it a workout, sometimes the corrosion cannot be seen. If the power leads are joining another power lead etc, then time for a rewire.

Most dramas are caused by the simplest of faults.

Dont forget to check the fuse and the connection for corrosion

Hope this helps

Manjilad
26-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Just to repeat Gavs good advice, your sounder will be powered from your power board (or distribution board) THROUGH a fuse.
1. check all leads for corrosion (a cheap $10 multimeter from Bunnings is a great help) and power availability
2. Check the fuse - the old fashioned glass tube fuses are notorious for corrosion on the spring loaded ends that contact the fuse - replace / clean up your fuse - I lightly sand then cover everything in lanoline grease (non conductive!) and lasts a treat. By the way these types of fuse are BAD BAD BAD (reliability wise) for low current draw items like sounders etc ,,, better on spotlights etc

To cheer you up, your problem is much more likely to be power supply/fuse problem rather than equipment problem .....!
Cheers

BLOCKER
28-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks very much for the advise. I will check fuses and connections first as suggested and then if that all looks good get the unit tested.

Thanks Blocker