PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your bait table

ShaneJ
26-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Howdy all, i'm looking at getting a custom made bait table for my boat, so i'm after ideas from others with them. What do you all like and dislike with the bait table you have and what you would have different next time around?
Pictures would also be appreciated.

Thanks

longtail
26-10-2005, 08:32 PM
g'day shane , this pic is of my allycraft 480 challenger . it is the standard factory bait table.
the only thing i would change would be to drill drain holes in each corner , other than that very happy so far.

cheers
jason

Needmorerum
26-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Yeah I agree with the drain holes. The one on the back of my Cruise Craft can be seen on the CC website. On top of the drain holes, I would like hoses to direct the drains down the back of the transom.

Corry

phewy
26-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Not mine, but saw this the other day elsewhere and thought it looked great. http://www.fin-tac.com/images/photogal/picft10_11_01C.jpg

ShaneJ
26-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi Jason, How do you find your table without a lip on the front? Would you of preferred with a lip or do you think it would get in the way?
The drains are a good idea and i'll be sure to have some on mine and as Corry pointed out, some hoses would be good too.
Phewy, that table looks great and all, but I think it would look out of place on my tub :-[ :)

phewy
26-10-2005, 09:39 PM
:) Yeh, would look kinda silly on the back of ours too....but like it anyway. If ever I had a larger boat again would want something like this. ;)

ShaneJ
26-10-2005, 09:53 PM
It sure looks the goods. I cant exactly seen in the picture but the knife storage looks very handy aswell.

Bowser
27-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Shane, I had mine made by Seaquip at Capalaba. They have pictures of their work on their site www.seaquip.com.au Since buying it I have lifted the board and bedded it in silicone to ensure that excess water goes through the drain hole. Changes I would make would be a lip between the leading corners and the front of the board only to stop any water used for wash down doesn't slop inside the boat. I don't and would not have a lip right across the front to ensure that a knife edge never runs across metal, this allows for any future wear on the board. I like my knives to remain sharp. The other changes I would have are, have 2 drain holes and make them as large as possible. Mine requires a 25mm inside diametre drain hose which sounds good but the inside diametre of the starting steel tube is probably only 20mm which is the chock point. Bigger inside dia. of this tube means slops and wash down gets away much faster. Attach additional angled rod holder at an angle and low down to mount trolling rods. They also put a plastic cutlery divider under the tray as a sliding storage tray. Good for wet lures other knives etc.

ShaneJ
27-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Hi Bowser, thanks for the link. From description your bait table isn't pictured on the Seaquip page. Did you tell them what you wanted and they made it, or do they have designs ready to go?
You dont happen to be on the northside of Brissy for me to have a peak at your setup? :D

DR
27-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Not mine, but saw this the other day elsewhere and thought it looked great. http://www.fin-tac.com/images/photogal/picft10_11_01C.jpg

that one looks like a computer desk :)

dnej
27-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Shane, I will get to you a picture of the one I made, asap. Capral supply cut lengths of aluminium, and I used 50x 50 angle for the top.

Them 12x 12 square,to screw to the angle, to get the board,up off the angle,and form a little gutter. Sikaflexed this as well.
Made 19mm holes on two of the corners, and attached aluminium tube,to take a flexible hose.

I bought checker plate from Capral as well,made a pattern for the sides,and had my local boat builder,bend the edges.($ 50)
Got the sides welded to the top,and a base welded on the bottom of the legs, to screw to the boat. Magic.

All up, $ 120 for materials,$100 for bending and welding. Saved $125,on the quoted price.
David

ShaneJ
27-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Sounds good. Pictures will be great. Thanks

madman1
27-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I had mine custom made as a favour from a mate who owns an engineering firm on the northside.

I have since added a which handle pocket to each side of the unit for a total cost of about $30. You can pick them up from any boating store. They work a treat.

FNQCairns
27-10-2005, 11:58 AM
A design that:

Lets a person flick fish pieces/cubes overboard with the knife easily.

That has enough safe spots for the Knife, crimpers, needle, twine, plyers etc so that they can be reached easily and will not get blown, bumped or blasted overboard when underway.

That the top can be easily disconected and dunked for a clean and final burley just before heading home or at least easily blasted with a deckwash without much blowback into the boat.

cheers fnq

dnej
27-10-2005, 12:08 PM
My home made job. Next step is a tray below the actual board.
David

ShaneJ
27-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Looks good mate, once you get a storage tray below it will be perfect!

longtail
27-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Hi Jason, How do you find your table without a lip on the front? Would you of preferred with a lip or do you think it would get in the way?
The drains are a good idea and i'll be sure to have some on mine and as Corry pointed out, some hoses would be good too.
Phewy, that table looks great and all, but I think it would look out of place on my tub :-[ :)

shane , no probs mate as was said above a lip would only damage knive edges ::)
next thing to do is a couple knive sheaths , one on each side , and tackle storage under ;D

cheers
jason

Outsider
27-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Ah the beauty of leaving it to an expert....

Big shelf underneath with a lip to stop anything rolling back out.

Sunken area at the back to keep all sorts of crap out of the way but close at hand.

Rod holders to keep rods up and out the way but with the reels still within reach for access to drags etc when rigging and baiting up.

Best of all - come summer I just unbolt it and stick it in the garage leaving a nice clear transom for "real fishing".

You're a genius Col... ;D

Outsider
27-10-2005, 05:24 PM
gbd

ShaneJ
27-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Nice setup, Heaps of storage under that thing :D

Punkin
28-10-2005, 06:09 AM
This unbolts from the Webster to make it a freshwater casting boat when i'm stuck at home away from the salt :'(

Old piccie but you get the idea...
Two ten litre storage boxs underneath, the one thats not in it'll hold a couple a blocks of pillies (or one and squid, tuna fillets, prawns etc), now has knife storage down the left hand side (two thin cutting boards rivetted together round three sides holds heaps a knives), lip gaff etc as well. Anchor light folds down outa the way etc...There's also three more angled, braced rod holders on the back you can't see ;)

ShaneJ
28-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Looks good. Are they elastic straps on the front to hold the storage boxes in?

dnej
28-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Shane. take care that you can still see the motor, when you instal a baitboard.
David

ShaneJ
28-10-2005, 11:25 AM
What part of the motor do I need to be able to see?

JB
28-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Heres mine, not brilliant but im still working on it. Drainage is my problem, along with the big friggin hole i cut in the wrong spot!! . I do love the rod holders and the tray underneath. I find the board is a good height too, i hate them too high and if they are too low on some boats can hit the motor when its trimmed all the way up.

I think heath has some good pics of his old one on www.gcfishing.com

Jas

Bowser
28-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Shane, sorry mate I'm on the southside at wello point but if you want to have a look any time pm me. One other point is to make sure it is at a nice comfortable working height so that you are not bending and reaching or having to lift your elbows and arms if it is to high. Makes cleaning fish and filliting etc at the end of the day mch easier and less of a pain.

Angla
28-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Add rod holders. Never can have too many

Drain holes small enough so a stubbie will not go down

A measurement place

Knife holder

No metal at the front to blunt the knife

Good luck

Angla

This is mine (cruisecraft)

ShaneJ
28-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Thats a good idea with the lift up cutting board.