PDA

View Full Version : BAY FISHING RIGS

youngfisho
13-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Just wanting to know of any other bay fishos with 4.5 to 6.0m boats how they have set them up for fishing. any hints and tips on where to store things and any modifications they have made to seating etc. what sounders they use, rod storage. I had recently fitted a live bait well to my rig and am wanting to know the best way of draining the water to make it fully recirculating.

andrew

ps will put up some pics soon

youngfisho
13-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Here is the back showing twin batteries, 50 litre cruise tank and live bait tank on the right of picture.

youngfisho
13-10-2005, 08:09 AM
my side of the boat. am planning to mount a down rigger to the grab rail. when I decide to make one.

youngfisho
13-10-2005, 08:14 AM
here is the live well. Am planning to use a bung with hose fitting attached underneath then have a hole cut in the side of the boat where the water can drain out. any thoughts would be appreciated. I do have a drain hole 2 inches from the top of the live well but it doesn't drain fast enough and water spills over the top.

FNQCairns
13-10-2005, 08:36 AM
HI Youngfisho I have fitted a livewell to my boat lately also, i have yet to think seriously about how to plumb it but I assume I will end up with 2 thru-hull fittings in the side of the boat. I think my overflow will be 1.5 inch dia and the drain wil be near 1 inch. The overflow will be at or very near to waterline (for noise abatement) with an average load and the drain will be somewhere higher.

The fittings will be SS (no plastic) double clamped and I plan to use a high quality reinforced nylon hose.

The inflow may be a thru-hull with a sea-cock, although I am still fighting with the idea of a hole in the bottom of a boat that gets trailered and will be treated rough in the interests of fun every now and then.

cheers fnq

youngfisho
13-10-2005, 09:21 AM
hey fnq,

have also got issues with the floor being very flexible. not sure if the stringers have rotted, as the floor is very soft in places.

andrew

FNQCairns
13-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Hi youngfisho

Uh-O thats a whole new thread!
If you would like to get well over the idea of reconditioning a boat the easiest way is to do it ;)

IMO do the very least to it you can get away with and use it for what you bought it for, unsafe situations not included of coarse.

cheers fnq

Fishin_Dan
14-10-2005, 04:53 PM
Andrew..... I know that feeling mate..... Have a look at FNQ's Shareproject, and at mine... That'll give you an idea on what you could be doing for the next 6 months.... :) (The links to these are in the bottom of our posts)

youngfisho
21-10-2005, 09:41 PM
have just drilled some holes in the floor to find that the underfloor substructure is in ok nick. Am planning on getting some expanding foam to put under floor. has anyone had any experience with pouring foam. I am wanting just to drill some holes and pour into the holes, but I have been told to cut open the floor and ensure everything is dry .

Should I

A: remove the whole floor and then fill the floor with foam, then replace the floor with new ply

B: cut holes and fill with foam

anyone have any ideas

andrew

Duyz72
22-10-2005, 01:03 PM
If you are going to go ahead and remove the floor, you might as well do a whole reno. Build yourself a nice esky/live tank combo with padded seating on top. Plumb it under the floor and out back. You use one as the drivers seat, and you can reciprocate under the passengers. That does take away the ability to fold down the seats but can free up a lot of other space out back where the business end of fishing happens.

It looks like you have glassed in the live tank on what used to be a seat so you might be committed to it there?

Duyz72
22-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Here is a link you might want to take a look at. Although he did a centre console, the principle is the same for two seats.

http://www.users.on.net/~rhinoc/Bait_Tank_Seat_Esky_Day_1.htm

pegasus
22-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi , fitted a live bait tank to my previous boat- used a stainless pickup fitting which screws below waterline/also fitted a bilge pump to this. This allows you water to flow to the tank under way and also when stationary via the pump.Fitted a valve in the uptake hose to turn off/reduce water flow when not needed. Bought most of the stuff from BIAS but imagine any good chandalry will have the gear.

cheers,
lew

youngfisho
27-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Well, had some inspection holes drilled to assess how soft the under floor was and well it seems ok. Going to try any glue the floor down a little better and patch up the shoddy glass job they did on the edge of the floor. Cant justify the expense of putting a new floor and stringers in when Ill be heading overseas in 5 months. Will most likely buy a new boat when I return (5.5m centre console noosa cat.

oh will be repainting the deck with that non slip paint from the international range.

andrew

will post some pics when the boat is back

rajawolf
28-10-2005, 12:20 AM
youngfisho,

You could place some screw on inspection hatches in the floor, you can get them in different sizes, prices start at about $8.

They are good for venting the boat underfloor area, while boat is not being used.

Fishin_Dan
28-10-2005, 12:32 PM
youngfisho,

You could place some screw on inspection hatches in the floor, you can get them in different sizes, prices start at about $8.

They are good for venting the boat underfloor area, while boat is not being used.

Get S/S ones. There was a thread here somewhere about plastic ones that break and let water in...

You'll pay more for them, but will last you better!

youngfisho
28-10-2005, 08:08 PM
will keep that in mind thanks

andrew