PDA

View Full Version : How should I run in a new 75hp 4stroke Merc efi

ABZ
28-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Waiting on a new 475 Trailcraft. Has anyone got some advice on how to run her in ie: How many hours and at what rpm?

dfox
28-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Check the oil level,Fire it up,wait for it to warm up,make sure its pumping water,select the gears making sure it goes into both forward and reverse,take it for a good run on the first outing,dont sit on the same revs for to long, very the revs regularly, this may involve slowing to near idle at times and if you open it right up keep it to quite short bursts.
Take note of its max. revs to see if its proped correctly, it will losen up in time and may pick up a few hundred extra revs, so keep this in mind...foxy

Hagar
29-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Just like Foxy says . Also read your owner manual so you will know exactly what it says for running in just in case you have any warranty issues . For info I have just finished running in a four stroke Yammie - 10 hours at up to about half throttle with short bursts higher and varying the revs . Yammie service guys also said it is important with four strokes to let it warm right up at the ramp before roaring off as some guys do . I imagine yours will be similar . Other big tip I got was only use fresh normal unleaded fuel from a high turnover servo . But your dealer should tell you all this if they are any good .

Chris

Spaniard_King
29-10-2005, 08:38 PM
ABZ

idling just glazes the bores, get in it and go..obviously not to hard at first. The first 300 m or so no more than 3000. keep away from full throttle for more than 3 min in the first 10 hours.

to bed rings in they need load so pussy footin around dont do em any good.

Had a honda which did 6-8 hours a day at idle, after about 400hours the thing would make oil...it was being diluted by the fuel passing the rings. Compression was down :( we put a test prop on it, ran it for 2 hours flat out...compression came up like new ;)

Garry