PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude 15Hp Problem

Bay+Beyond
28-10-2005, 08:45 AM
I have a 20yr old 15Hp Evinrude that has been running fantastically, but on the weekend it developed a problem.
It idles fine, but once you give it a little and the revs get up, it decides to splutter, on the verge of stalling. So i backed off, it idles fine , then i try again, but same thing happens. After about 4 goes it gets through this problem and everything is fine running at all revs. The problem only starts again after the engine has stopped. I then tried it on a cold motor, and same thing.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

Thommo

aussiefool
28-10-2005, 08:58 AM
g'day Thommo, do you have an inline fule filter? may be blocked? or a small crack in the fuel pump gasket

aussiefool
28-10-2005, 08:58 AM
g'day Thommo, do you have an inline fuel filter? may be blocked? or a small crack in the fuel pump gasket

DR
28-10-2005, 09:19 AM
had a similar age 15hp evinrude many years ago,had been rebuilt 9 months before i bought it,had a similar problem, could never find out what it was. one weekend while up the noosa river, way up past harrys hut. it had been stopping & starting all weekend, kept checking & cleaning carby etc. would appear to fix prob for a while. on the last day as we headed up river my mate commented that it was running the best it ever had,before i coud say a word, BANG! allmighty noise & came to a halt.
lifted cowling to find a 3" hole in the head & a piston sticking through it :'(

problem turned out to be, when rebuilt gaskets /seals we not fitted properley allowing water in with the pistons, nowhere to go, BANG, one white anchor.
so, if had any head work done recently might be worth checking seals etc..

Bay+Beyond
28-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the responses

DR - Not good :( :(, Haven't had any work done to it lately, so hopefully not that problem.

Aussiefool - Might look at the fuel line, but thought that might happen right through the rev range. Once it gets to flat out its fine.

I take out into the top of the bay, Pearl Channel, so don't want any issue while im out there. its a long way to paddle.

Will check everything over tonight. Let you know how i go.

Thommo

Fishin_Dan
28-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Yeah, sounds like it could be water in the carbies...

Spaniard_King
29-10-2005, 08:43 PM
The boys are on to it ;)

Crap in the carby

easy job but those plastic bits break easy. Watch out for the choke when ya put it back togethermake sure ya get the choke arm in the black lever correctly ;)

Garry

JasonT
30-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi! I remember my Grandfather having a similar problem and it ended up being water getting into the head!
I'd suggest having it checked before it costs a whole lot more!
Jason