PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! I need your advice

aussiefool
28-10-2005, 08:47 AM
G'day all
I'm looking at a tinny and motor for $700. The tinny is ok but old but my concern is with the motor, I took it for a run and when I pulled it out of the water there was gearbox oil on the leg above the point where the gearbox bolts onto the leg. The motor is a johnson 15 hp and the boys that are selling it tell me that they changed it from a long leg to a short leg and did not replace the seals and gaskets and only used silastic to seal it with. I know that water has gotten into the box.
SO WHAT DO YOU THINK do I buy it and replace the seals or give it a big miss???????
Thanks all tight lines

blaze
28-10-2005, 09:54 AM
I would first check the oil in the gearbox to asitain there is water in there, the oil will be a milky white.
It could well be just spend exhaust gases, unburnt oil/carbon. 2 srokes often leave a black mark or 2 around.
If its the joint I think you are talking about there is no needd for any seals or silastic in there (where gearbox bolts to leg) if the people have sealed it to me it says alot about there knowledge/lack of with outboards.
Probable cost big money to do a box on an old engine
Me
offer them $450 and pick up a motor that is know to be good.(thats as long as its on a trailer)
cheers
blaze

roz
28-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Take Blazes advice, he knows a thing or two about motors.

think about how far you'll be rowing if it breaks down. Been there and done that.

roz

ba229
28-10-2005, 06:43 PM
When buying a boat I learnt quick that the true value is basically in the motor.

Hulls and trailers are a dime a dozen so it is the motor that you are paying for.

A mate of mine gets crappy old hulls and puts new motors on them to use as his boat. Replaces motor every 2 years or so and gets another hull for next to nicks when it is needed.

Hope that makes sense

aussiefool
29-10-2005, 04:08 PM
the gear box had no oil at all only water when I removed the bottem screw and have been told in the last day or so that if there was that much water that it might rust and seize the barrings in the box itself and then it would then cost money to fix ....... so i'll just keep looking

blaze
29-10-2005, 05:07 PM
aussiewise not aussiefool
cheers
blaze

Burley_Boy
31-10-2005, 11:26 PM
thanks Ba, I'll now look for a cheap 5,4M hull to put a new 115 on ;D