PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

bidkev
31-10-2005, 09:36 AM
I currently use a 10ft Stessl edge tracker with 10hp merc to investigate the shallows of the Pin and set the pots but find this a bit heavy pulling up the beach, even with two adults and the kids handling it.

I'm looking at touring the north next year and would like something a lot lighter than the stessl to sit on top of a jayco. Any ideas? Also, with the pots and two adults the stessl struggles to get on the plane sometimes. Whatever boat I go for, if it is lighter will it more likely plane easier with a 10 or should I look for something that will take a 15?

What would you consider to be a good rig that perhaps you and your deckie could lift easy but still get some "performance" ?............Need to get away from those crocs pretty fast ;) ;D

cheers

kev

MIKOS
31-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Kev,

Hard to say mate especially when you and the missus have to lift them back up to the car.I have a 15 hp merc and it isnt that much heavier than a 10 hp.It goes good with 3 adults,fishing gear and and an esky on board bu that is just about its limit.It gets on the plane quite quickly and ive never had a problem with it ;).Remember 10ft is a small boat and i wouldnt like to be around crocks in anything smaller than that unless you own a shotgun. ;D ;)

MIKOS

mackmauler
31-10-2005, 01:09 PM
edgie would be great kev, there is bugger all diff between the small tinnies, a 15hp would solve ya power issues, not like you unload em all day long, bound to be a few kids around that would throw it up on the camper for a few coin.

2iar
31-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Kev,

Not sure on the boat mate, but I did a bit of research into 9.9's v 15's for my old boat. You'll find each brand that has both models will weigh exactly the same, and in most cases the 15hp is cheaper as the 9.9 is the same block "de-tuned". 2 stroke is obviously the go to keep the weight down - about 30 - 35 kg from memory. Tohatsu also do an 18hp that's comparitively light and cheap, but watch the boat's compliance plate - you should be right to 15, but maybe not 18. It's debateable whether the Tohie actually provides more oomph.

Whack a $20 Lalizas foil on for good measure, don't worry about a battery or big (weighty) fuel tank and she should plane alright I reckon.

I'll look after the Whittley while you're gone, if you like :D

Good luck,
Mike

Barraholic
31-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey Kev,

Here's a post where I enquired along similar lines a while back. In my initial post there is an attachment that has a list of car topper candidates with their weights shown if that's any help.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1120449150/0#0

Good luck!

Kev

bidkev
01-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replies lads. I do like the stessl as even a small one like that allows me to chuck a cast net. Some of the other small tinnies have rocked enough to have me over the side.

Car topping is not my main priority though as I am missing my little sojourns into the Pine River and feel that I should spend some more time in there to get back to basics.

I'll let you know what I settle for.

cheers

kev