PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an electric boat motor

web
31-10-2005, 09:18 AM
I own a 3.7m proline stacer with a 15hp motor. Looking for some advice/recommendations about electric boat motors, advantages of bow mounted or rear mounted motors? What is a maximizer? What size I will need? What sort of money am I looking at? Can I use it for trawling?

88fishframe
31-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I've got a very similar rig. All I can say is that I have a transom mount Minn Kota 40lb Riptide and the boat flies along with that power. A bow mount is easier to use when luring, but not worth the extra $$ on that size rig in my opinion. One more thing - spend the extra $$ on a DECENT deep cycle battery [expect to pay $200.00] so you use the thing all day long without fear of running out of power.

Poseidon
31-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Ive got a 40lb Riptide transom mount on my 3.95 Allycraft and it goes well, bought it 2nd hand from a member on this site. It goes well with the head turned around and mounted on the bow or you can mount on the transom if you wish. Just watch the shaft length when using on the bow as the prop on mine tends to get airborne if there is a little swell and someone is right at the back of the boat.
It works alot better on the bow if you are flicking plastics and the like as on the transom you will find yourself going backwards all the time to overcome the problem with the wind.
Having said all this I would still like a bow mount with foot control.
Regards Cameron.

web
01-11-2005, 08:55 PM
;) Thanks for the avise guys.