PDA

View Full Version : INFO ON NORTHBANK 540 CUDDY

fishermick
20-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi guys, Gonna buy a new boat in the very near future and have been looking at the Northbank 540 cuddy and was wondering if anyone here owns one or had anything experiance with one?Looking for good and bad comments. Personnaly..I like them. thanks 8-)

youngfisho
21-10-2005, 10:04 PM
i think they are only new to the aussie market. there are plenty of 5.5 m boats out there that may suit your needs. so shop around. where are you gettin it from and how much for

andrew

fishermick
21-10-2005, 11:22 PM
hi. Yea they are from s.a. and have good reports in the boat books but I would like to talk to someone who has one. B.L. Marine are the agents in vic and offer a package for just under 40 grand. Have looked at streaker( very nice) cruise craft (even nicer) and a few other but I just like the 540'S. and they are priced well.

FNQCairns
22-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Cooky from here has a northbank, do a search they have been discussed a few times.
From what I have read here you will not be disappointed with owning one.

Cheers fnq

cooky
22-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Heh Fishermick - be happy to answer any questions you've got on the Northbank 540c. I've got one. It's a 2000/2001 model with 115hp Merc - had it for over a year now. Exactly the same hull, etc as the current ones. They have been around for quite awhile, but were only marketed in SA - made for the waters down there. They're made like brick sh*t houses - heavy hull, but I like the security - i'm a bit mad for speed, so it's "hold on" when I'm driving - I like to know the hull is going to take it.

I was very very close to selling it a couple of months ago and had many people interested. My business was in a cashgflow crisis so was going to offload for cheap. I really really didn't want to so held off. I'm not exactly completely out of the clear yet, but not selling for the moment. Maybe for the right offer ;)

I live in North Qld, Townsville, and it handles the 2 foot chop fine (old joke - sorry Troy). Very stable at rest - beamy buggers. I've taken it out to the reef a few times - wish it had a bigger tank. - jerry cans suffice for the moment.
i've been hopeless taking many pictures, so here's one taken the first week I had it.

cooky
22-10-2005, 04:47 PM
here's an interior shot, although I have added stripes of that black grip tape on drivers / passenger floor - certainly helps - good stuff.

fishermick
22-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Cooky!
Nice boat mate! I've been shopping around and have taken to these 540's. My biggest concern is the size of the motor for the weight of the boat. They are a heavy boat in comparison to others there size and wanted to know if the 115 yamaha would be sufficent to power it along? You mentioned the fuel tank..I think its a bit small also but maybe they can make a bigger fuel tank. Does the front walk thru hatch leak at all ? I Like this idea because I'm a big bloke and hate it trying to crawl thru a window to get at an anchor. The walk thru is for me!! Has yours got the 2 bait tanks at the back? One deep and one small? I'm looking at a package no more to pay..etc... comes with navman fishfinder 27 meg radio bimini top lifejackets etc for 6 people , rego and couple other things...dunbair trailer.... fairly good deal 8-) 8-)

cooky
22-10-2005, 09:34 PM
My biggest concern is the size of the motor for the weight of the boat. They are a heavy boat in comparison to others there size and wanted to know if the 115 yamaha would be sufficent to power it along?
Mate my motor is a 115hp Merc - can't imagine the yamaha being much different. Power is nice. Some people say it's over powered (not me). Recommended motor is 90HP. I've got a video of a boat test I can email you with a 90. If I had a choice I'd install the 140hp, but that's because I like as much power as I can get. I spoke to the builders when researching and they reckon they're mad with the 140hp - real speed machines.
I can cruise around at around (3 blokes + gear) 50km/h around the 4500/5000rpm range. Top speed closer to 65km/h - fast enough I reckon.

I think its a bit small also but maybe they can make a bigger fuel tank
I don't think they make a bigger fuel tank, but for another $400 approx. you can get an aluminium fabricator to make an additional fuel tank in the storage area (in front of fuel tank area). I've had it quoted - just haven't got around to getting it done yet. Should give another 80 - 100litres.

Does the front walk thru hatch leak at all ? I Like this idea because I'm a big bloke and hate it trying to crawl thru a window to get at an anchor.
It's a great idea and mine doesn't leak - it's a pretty leak proof design.

Has yours got the 2 bait tanks at the back? One deep and one small?
mine has 2 bait tanks, but pretty close in size. haven't compared them, but I think they;re both the same size. I haven't set-up as live bait tanks as yet - plan to get one plumbed up.

Mine had 27mhz - still does, but I disconnected and installed Navman VHF - 27mhz not very useful up here.

I'd recommend getting the clears for canopy - i'm going to get a trimmer to install on mine asap. Dry boat - hull deflects a lot of water out and down, however if wind coming at you from on angle - that amount of water can easily be picked up and driven back into your face. I tend to attract buckets of water.

cooky
22-10-2005, 09:44 PM
yep - that hatch is a good idea. you can fish from there too.

fishermick
22-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Looks like a nice day there mate!! Sure could use some of that here...maybe I should move....hmmmhmm??? :-/ :-/

the fuel tanks an option I never thought of.. got a bro in law that owns an engineering shop...... ::)
sounds like the 115 will do the job..I was thinking maybe 125hp or there abouts.....I guess it all gets back to money. I would like to see the test please if you could send it...meekat@bigpond.com.au also msn messenger mick_lar@hotmail.com if you would like to chat
It comes with front clears and would definatly get sides made up for it...this is victoria....cold on day..wet the next..lol
mate...thanks for all this info...... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :)

cooky
01-11-2005, 06:08 PM
the fuel tanks an option I never thought of.. got a bro in law that owns an engineering shop

Mate if your brother is going to make one - let me know - I might just put in an order. Would love the extra range. Especially after the other week when ran out of fuel as the boat was 2 metres from touching the trailer (lucky).

It comes with front clears and would definatly get sides made up for it...this is victoria....cold on day..wet the next..lol

I keep saying I'm going to get clears and am definitely going to now. Even in NQ where the water temp is great and the warm days good - still sucks not being able to see because you're getting smashed in the face every 15 secs or so - bad wind direction. Coming home on sunday at midday a good example. 17kts/21kts ENE (weatherzone) 1.8m seas - white caps everywhere - washing machine stuff. Had to be home to play sport in the afternoon. 4 big blokes in the boat + gear. Headed back home from around Magnetic Island averaging 23kts (43km/h) at 4000/4200rpm. 45 minutes to get home - good going. I did tell the crew they'd be getting wet and WET they did!! the trip home was fun - bit thrillseeking, but the little Northbank handled it well, actually better than I thought it would - I was able to stand with both hands on steering wheel no problems (no need to brace). The odd airborne moment but pretty good.
Woudl be keen to hear how you get on.

fishermick
02-11-2005, 09:04 PM
hey cooky!!
I'm sitting here grinning from ear to ear....done a similar trip in a lot less boat and all got wet as....
The good news is.. I ordered it today..payed the deposit and i should have a blue 540 by end of month/ early dec. hanging out now...
took the old savage out on monday and all went well but... its time to update..
I'll let you know if I get bigger tanks.... I think they need them...
as for the clears gotta have them ...snug as a bug in a rug..
AND...got the missus warming up to the idea of a new boat.. 8-) now thats cool...
keep in touch mate

pursuit001
16-01-2008, 04:29 PM
hi there guys im also buying one i hope to pick it up next week mines has a 130 honda four banger on it should move along i its a 06 motor and 05 boat a a near new tandem trailer with all the goodies sounders gps massive bait board etc cd player all done 4.3 hours picked it up for $37000 is that good buying ?
cheers shane