PDA

View Full Version : Winch post height

duckbill
24-10-2005, 06:39 PM
I have just modified the safety chain on my trailer and now I was thinking about changing the position and height of the winch, it looks a tad low to me... Any thoughts?

maxis
24-10-2005, 08:37 PM
I like it so the roller sits snug up against the bow and the U bolt ,just seems to hold it in position firmer. pretty cool to have 2 Ubolts,i like that.

duckbill
24-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I added the second U bolt because it was impossible to attach the shackle and the winch clip without undoing one of the two... I was also thinking of putting one of those V shaped bow holder things instead of the roller...

ShaneJ
24-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I was also thinking of putting one of those V shaped bow holder things instead of the roller...
I did this on my trailer and it stoped the winch post vibrating side to side when towing.

The_Walrus
25-10-2005, 04:36 AM
I Have my winch higher than the boat attachment. I found that having the winch lower made it hard to snug the bow hard againts the winch roller.

Luc

duckbill
25-10-2005, 08:25 PM
I Have my winch higher than the boat attachment. I found that having the winch lower made it hard to snug the bow hard againts the winch roller.

Luc

So up by about 5cm???

Needmorerum
25-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Just remember that the higher you go, the more leverage there is on it. How far is it from the base up, what size boat is it. Do you have a photo from a little further back showing perspective?
I wouldn't worry about moving it any further, it looks like you can pull it up where it is now, but I havn't been involved in setting up trailers before so am interested in the replies to this one.

Cheers
Corry

dnej
27-10-2005, 01:23 PM
What ever you do, the winch point should tighten onto the roller. So moving the winch,will also move the boat position.
Looks OK where it is actually.
David

The_Walrus
27-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Duckbill,

So that the strap is level or slighly angled upwards.

When I snug the bow of my boat against the stop block, it also thightens the chain that would stop my boat from moving forwards in an emergency stop. #It took a bit of fiddling but it's worth doing.

My boat is a 4m pointy punt and some people have commented on that chain saying it's way in excess of what would do the job. #At least there's little chance that, if the winch post fails in a prank, the boat will spear through the back window of my car.

Luc

duckbill
02-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Here is the final setup that I have settled on. Took a bit of working out but this way the chain can be tightened nicely with the turnbuckle and loosened quickly too. The Rubber V block sits nicely too :) :) :)

The_Walrus
02-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi Duckbill,

Other than my winch being higher, my chain set up is the same except that I don't have a turnbuckle.

As you said, it takes a bit of fiddling. However, it's worth doing to have your boat well secured on the trailer.

Luc

finga64
03-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Don't raise the winch too high.
If the winch is too high and you tension the cable for the bow roller to bed in the bow it may lift the boat off the front (or worst cases 2nd, 3rd) roller/skid.
I adjust mine in height so that there is a slight down pull (5mm) onto the bow roller/chock.
Hope this makes sense.
Scott

Wear_the_fox_hat
03-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Duckbill,
Have had advice in the past not to have safety chain/turnbuckle done up too tight. When towing, it puts too much stress on the anchor point of the boat & has no give, especially with aluminium boats. Pays to let the winch cable/strap take the strain as it will have a little bit of flex in it. Mightn't be much flex, but might be enough to prevent any damage in the long run. Someone out there may disagree, but it works for me.

WTFH