PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs Question

redspeckle
30-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Yesterday I was coming back thorough Amity channel just got pass it there I notice the motor was running real rough so I stop at Amity check it out , after sometime it was a faulty spark plug so I replace it with an old spare one and done the trick and got home
So the Neighbour in the street ask me how I went so I told him he reckon's he has had a lot of trouble with the L shape spark plugs and go for the button one's
But I won't to know how good are they and can they do damage to you motor [smiley=huh2.gif]
I use Champion spark plugs model no QL77JC4 on a 90 hp Johnson outboard 2stroke i do mix oil correctly 50 to 1
I always kept outboard fully serivce and maintain after every 3rd or 5th trip I take the spark plugs out give them clean ( i be taking to outborad mechanic tomorrow to give it good going over only had serivce five months ago )
So I avert having a breakdown on the south passage bar have one their its curtains
MITCH

Spaniard_King
30-10-2005, 06:40 PM
What year model 90 hp??

maybe your engine should be running QL78yc plugs these have a longer reach and are for the more modern 90hp Johnos

Garry

Spaniard_King
30-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I will try to post the spark plug guide for you

Garry

redspeckle
01-11-2005, 08:59 PM
[smiley=dankk2.gif] spaniard_king
The spark plug chart been a big help
I also found out the cowling on outboard been shorting out and draining horse power :o because the inside the cowling the clips/hooks are to close the spark plug leads and touch them + when take the cowling on and off can rip off the spark leads with little hooks inside
so you have to put the back on frist then front last of the cowling this helps in avoiding this problem ( i got this information from the outboard mechanic took it too)
This way Johnson made their outboard compact and tight fitting ridiculous [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
Mitch
ps I hope get my boat back tomorrow hopfully no damge done [smiley=worried2.gif]

Spaniard_King
02-11-2005, 05:03 AM
;)

turkey_beach_boy
02-11-2005, 10:03 AM
hey redspeckle my tohatso is the same. when cawl goes on it pulls spark plug lead off.

Pwoida
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Had the same problem with the cowling on my 140 johno, used to p@#ss me off to no end! :-/