PDA

View Full Version : Advice on motor to suit 3.7m Tinnie

JasonT
30-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi Guys!

What is the largest motor I can put on a 3.7m Bass Tracker? I use this boat mainly around Redcliffe/Bribie areas.
The boat was originally sold to my brother by a redcliffe marine dealer with a 20HP Johnson on it, but that was replaced with a newer Yammy 15. I own the boat now, and need a motor for it.
My problem is this:
I went back to the marine dealer who sold the boat initially, and asked what motor they recommended. I was told 15Hp maximum. (I found this odd when they sold it with a 20hp!)
Other dealers have told me 20, 15 and 18! What do you guys think?

dfox
30-10-2005, 04:01 PM
It should have max hp on its compliance plate, usually found on the rear seat. I take it it doesnt have one ! If so look at the transom strength, if its reasonably week and doesnt have plenty of gussets and support your probably safer sticking with a 15, but if its built sturdy a 25hp is quite possiable. To much wieght and horsepower will cause an inadequate transome to flex and crack.
Compare it to some new models for build quality verses hp rating to be sure.

JasonT
30-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the advice!
The transom has had extra supports welded in so is quite strong.
I really want to set it up as ideally as possible. Overkill is a little my style, so hopefully the cool heads of this fantastic site will help me stick to common sense! I would like to be able to head over to Mud Island (and maybe one day moreton!) from margate and I realise conditions would have to be pretty near perfect, but even so, would this be too ambitious with only a 15hp?
Maybe even ambitious for any boat this size!
(just kidding about moreton! - been there heaps and definately not a place for a small tinnie!)

strongy
04-11-2005, 09:30 PM
HI Jason i`ve got a quintrex 3.75 with a 25 johnson on the back and i run out of redcliffe , could get across to mud quite quickly on a good day . I find it a good match and it handles fine .

The_Walrus
04-11-2005, 10:26 PM
I have a mate with a bass tracker, front & rear casting platform and floor.

He runs a 25 2 stroke yammy on it.

Luc

JasonT
05-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys!
20-25HP sounds the go!
Now I just have to find a good one at a reasonable price! :-)

Jason

gunna
05-11-2005, 11:33 AM
Jason - you should stick with the manufacturers recommendation. If you don't and the boat is in an accident then insurance would be void. Is it a Stessco ?? If so it seems the max is 15 HP. See this link

http://www.stessco.com.au/pages/vpunt.htm