PDA

View Full Version : Mounting video/camera in boat

Brooksy
26-10-2005, 10:31 PM
I know that a few on the sight have set up mounts on their boat to video tape the action without holding the camera. What sort of mounts have you used?
The best way I can figure so far is to buy a Manfrotto ball head with a quick release mount but they aren't cheap. I'd like to use a quick release mount if I can. Is there a cheaper way than forking out $100 for a Manfrotto besides taking the wife to hold it. ;)

Steve

Dannyboy
31-10-2005, 08:30 PM
You got it right the first time. Have you got your video in a water case of some type? I do alot of videoing and always use a case or you may as well drop the video over the side in a few trips! What type of video you using? You going to edit from the computer? What are you looking to do with the footage? I got what I need to mount my set up at garage sales for under $50, try that this weekend.

skippa
31-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Brooksy,

I've seen them mounted on rod racks. Just use a tripod top (mount), won't be a quick release but it will certainly work for ya tho.

Still on my 'to do' list for the Southwind. :-?

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Burley_Boy
31-10-2005, 10:23 PM
The manfrotto stuff is certainly quality but maybe have a look at modifying a cheap tripod. They are actually often available with a quick release and you should be able to ditch the three legs and just use the "mid stump"
Not sure what Heath uses but he's had cameras on the boat for years.
good luck
BB

Smithy
01-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Bought myself a monopod and was just going to cable tie it to whatever boat I was on for the day. Monroe then went and bought the Rolls Royce Manfrotto one from Meltons with the joystick mount and once you have seen that baby in operation you will want one too.

bugman
01-11-2005, 09:31 AM
What are you going to video :-?

-spiro-
01-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Steve you are getting serious now ain't you. You will have to get your young fella trained up for the job....lol ;D

Hoges
02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Maybe something like this mini tripod available on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Silver-Portable-New-Digital-Camera-Webcam-Tripod-D354_W0QQitemZ7558902097QQcategoryZ3325QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Material: Zinc / Brass / ABS / Elastomer

Hoges
02-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Same tripod folded together which could be slipped into some dedicated rod holder packed with foam for tight fit. The camera then could be lifted out and used as a hand held leaving the mini tripod still attached.
Just a thought!

Heath
03-11-2005, 12:15 AM
This is my mount made from bits in the garage.
I used an old tripod quick release mount, a bit of gal pipe & an old Alvey clamp.

I run the camera none stop, so I have about 4 tapes & a long life battery.

Heath
03-11-2005, 12:17 AM
pic

Heath
03-11-2005, 12:18 AM
pic

Brooksy
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
That has given me plenty to think about, thanks all.
Dannyboy on your suggestion I have found an old weatherproof case that was being thrown out at work. I'm not sure how it will go in the sun but, will get pretty hot inside a sealed container?? I might be able to build an extension off the case at the right angle to go in a rod holder on the rocket launcher.
I am using a sony digital can't remember the model.
Heath do you have any issues with your camera out in the elements? and is that a wide angled lense on yours?
Buggy I will be recording events so we can dissect your performance after the trip and try and make decent fisherman out of you ;D

Steve

Smithy
03-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeh interseted in the wide angle lense as well. What sort of money are we talking? Really need them for fixed cameras in boats from what I have seen with the typical zoom ranges out of the box.

Outsider
03-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Bought a clamp from Photocontinental at Mt Gravatt. Has a gold coloured pin that you screw into the Tripod mounting hole on the base of your DV camera. Another springloaded pin on the side of the clamp locks the gold pin in, and allows for quick release. Am currently trying to source a waterproof case from OS.

Outsider
03-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Top of clamp - gold pin not attached.

Outsider
03-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Top of clamp - gold pin attached this time.

Heath
03-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Brooksy & Smithy,

You definatly need the wide angle lense due to being so close to the action. It makes a huge difference to the footage. I also use a polarizing filter as well, thats the little black ring between the camera & lense.

The lense you see in the pic is a 0.45X lense. Cost me about $25.00, also got a set of 3 filters inc the polarizing filter for about $30.00. The polarizing filter makes a huge difference with glare off the water.

With that wide angle lense fitted I get from the outside edges of the gunwales. So I catch all the hits on the rods. When I have the rods out the side I use my superdooper 0.28x Liquide 3 wide angle. Got that from www.cookiecomposites.com ( Cookie from Ausfish ). It is a lense that a lot of skydivers use for taping their jumps.

Using the wideangle lenses you get a bit of vignetting but it is generally outside the scan area of a normal TV set so you don't see it. It is also a bit worse when the polarize filter is on as well.

No problem with the camera per say. Knowing what I was going to use it for I got the extended warranty on it & have claimed twice. Both times being the head drum assembly. Being under the targa its pretty well protected & if it rains I simply do up the front clears.

All equipment is kept safe in a water proof high impact case.

Dannyboy
05-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Mate go to www.sony-asia.com/handycam or call 1300-72-0071 they have a section on outdoor covers. They have all types of rain jackets and sports packs maybe you will get lucky. As for the case you got at work drill a few holes to vet the hot air

Zeeke
05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Cant Beat Manfrotto Quality!

I dont do any video taping.. and well.. dont have a boat anymore.. but i use a manfrotto tripod and trigger grip ballhead for my camera.. the quality is second to none... but there are other brands around that do the same sort of thing... look around for Benro tripods and accessories.. might be what your after

Tim

Brooksy
06-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Outsider that clamp looks pretty neat, what was it worth?

Heath did you buy the lenses here or OS at those prices?

Steve