PDA

View Full Version : It`s time to upgrade

Nathanrb4
03-11-2005, 07:48 PM
I`ve decided that after a couple of years with a smaller boat its time to get something that will get me to the reef and be able to handle the "North Queensland chop" alittle better than my 4.35 does. I figure i can afford something around the 25k mark plus what ever i can get for mine which i`m guessing will only be around 5-7K.

I`ve been looking around and really like the look of the Polycraft 5.3CC which i at the top end of my price range. i wouldn`t mind getting something thats afew years older but i`m not sure what i should be looking for. I`m hoping to get away from tinnies and i need to be able to tow it with my car (old V8 Statesman).

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about what i should be looking for that be great.

Cheers Nathan

FNQCairns
03-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I am bias but keep an eye out for a Yalta, old HH, carribean, even a Mustang etc.

Something with over 20 deg of deadrise 22 or so preferable on a classic style of hull for those trips back from the reef. The narrow for length and the classic style of hull design will make for a softer and faster rough water ride.

cheers fnq

TonyM
03-11-2005, 09:00 PM
I've got a 5.30 Poly and have been very pleased with it's performance in the chop - really does take the bang out of slamming through chop at speed, it actually makes you want to go faster because it rides so softly.

I haven't had the opportunity to drive a boat in the top end chop, so I can't really compare it to the chop here in Hervey Bay. Suffice to say the first 2 days I drove it the wind was over 20 knots with about a 1.5m swell and she went at 30knots speed over ground straight into the northerly blowing at the time - A northerly is our least favourable wind for boating.

About 3 years ago I had a quintrex reefraider CC about the same size and it was nowhere near as nice a ride.

FNQCairns
04-11-2005, 11:54 AM
NQ chop?... what chop..... ;) :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-4m-Smuggler-Fishing-Boat-Cuddie-Cabin_W0QQitemZ4587137509QQcategoryZ102698QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Anyone up for a quick 'before work' reef fish! 8-)
cheers fnq

Leo_N.
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Nathan,
Funny, I am going through the same process. I wasn't thinking of reef fishing when I got my existing boat, but finding it a bit small now. Did you go for a ride in the poly's when Leo's Marine did their demo day down at the Quarterdeck a few weeks ago? I went for a ride in the 5.3 and was pretty impressed.

MrWong
04-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I have a Poly 5.3 Centre on order and should be in my driveway in the next 3 weeks - will post pics and the like as soon as in a similar fashion to Tony has done. Hope I can help in your search - so far I am very hapy with my shift toward a Poly
Cheers
Norm

Mad_Barry
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Nathan, how goes it mate ?

Trying to piece together the old perfect boat for the dollars available conundrum huh ?

good luck. ;)

I may be getting a little old and sooky, (and without taking anything away from the poly's), but a 80 to 100 nm day in a 5.3 could be rather tiresome in all but great conditions.

Try & organise a few reef trips in other peoples boats and even one of the polys if you can, that may give you a bit more direction to head in.

Nathanrb4
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the replys guys.

Leo i didn`t even know they had an open day till i went in and spoke to leo on wednesday so i haven`t had a ride in one yet. I`ve been out in the 4.55 afew time and was impressed but i gotta admit i`m starting to lean towards the second hand option. i was going to come over and have a chat to you about your thoughts and stuff the other day but i`ll try and catch up with you sometime soon. hope all is well anyway.

Dicko everything great mate. How about you? Will have to try and organise a M&G before xmass to chat up, even if its just at the pub for a beer or 3.

anyway back to the boat. I`ve got a few more questions.

1. Is there any advantage to having an outboard over an inboard motor? I`ve been looking around and afew of the old haines` i`ve seen have inboards.

2. as i`ve never had anything ot do with glass boats i`m wondering what i should be looking for when i finally get around to inspecting boats. are there areas the commonly have trouble? are the any telltale signs of abuse?

3. how old is to old?

cooky
06-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Heh Nathan - just a reminder - got my boat for under $25k and it's a 5.4m Glass.

slacky
07-11-2005, 08:11 AM
I would go for a haines.Maybe 1750l or 1850l.They are getting a bit old but a great boat.If you buy second hand you should have enough money left to trade in existing motor for new one ,for peice of mind.Cruise craft are a good boat also.Both have good resale value.good luck SCOTT