PDA

View Full Version : Car Topper ... HELP please !!!

rumy1
07-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi,
buying a pop top caravan and want a boat to put up top. I am thinking a 3.4 - 3.7m size boat and a 10hp motor. I have $3000 - $3500 which should be able to buy me a new one.
I got a price for a Clark 3.7m light weight car topper with a 9.8hp Tohatsu 2 stroke which came to $3490 neg they said. The 3.4m Clark was $150 cheaper.
The lady told me I should consider a 4 stroke as alot of dams are not allowing 2 strokes on them anymore ... is this correct ???
I have no idea which brand to buy or not so any advice would be great !!!

whiteman
07-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I've bought myself a 3.1m Quicksilver tinny (50kg - great for pulling down the beach in front of my place) with a 6hp Suzuki 4s (25kg). This rig has clocked 24kph and it's still being run in! Very stable. The Suzuki is very light for a 4s. When I was buying I needed a light rig which was also "dry" as it is used offshore rather than in creeks. Good size for me and 2 kids but of course a 10' tinny has limitations! Total deal around $3k. I troll around for an hour or 2 and use about a litre of fuel so I use the in-built tank only and carry 2l spare. When it gets transported I invert it on top of my 6x4 trailer where I've bolted a couple of planks at each end which act as roof racks. Perfect!