PDA

View Full Version : So how big is my 16foot boat?

Burley_Boy
07-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Got the Haines 17L in the driveway today and took a tapemeasure to it . Almost 17foot transom to bowspit in a straight line. I then measured my V160 Seasprite, always referred to as a 16foot vessel and I got about 14foot 8inches measured in the same way. So am I incorrect to label this as a 16foot boat when I go to sell it or am I supposed to take four turns around the steering column as well?? :-/

FNQCairns
08-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Burley boy for the purpose of sale the actual manufactured length is not a fault. The boat is whatever the model numbers say it is because that is all the department of transport will take notice of when the rego is swapped.

Really if a potential buyer cannot find $5 for a tape measure and and 3 minutes to use it! ::)

Lots of say, 2L car engines are not quite 2L in actual capacity, not your responsibility as a seller to do the buyers homework. This rot starts with the manufacturers, more than half dont measure up!

Although if they ask what the measured length or actual length is etc I personally wouldn't lie just to sell it that time to that buyer.

cheers fnq

seaeagle
08-11-2005, 12:49 PM
BB what motor have you got on the seasprite & do you have plans to sell it?

familyman
08-11-2005, 05:04 PM
hey bb wheres the v17 in the avatar? ;)
My 4.6 half cab is actually about 4.8 so i dont know,personally it is what the stickers say it is ::)
cheers jon

troy
08-11-2005, 07:25 PM
Burley boy has your seasprite got a bowspit
troy

banshee
08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I was told once by a dealer that older boats were measured from the nose around the gunnel to the corner of the transom,this then changed to a centre line measurement going from the end of the sprit to the back of the boat(Transom/pod),now I think it's a centre line measurement but sprits or pods can't be counted.

88fishframe
08-11-2005, 08:07 PM
I have heard the same thing as banshee.

Burley_Boy
08-11-2005, 08:14 PM
Ok I just didn't want to misrepresent the craft as I put it up for sale.
I'll fit an Ausfish flag on the front and all should be well. ::)

The Avatar will change as soon as I take a photo of the new one and I need a bimini... ;D
Yes the Seasprite will be sold but I wanted to ensure everything was 100% before I did so I'm yet to tune the engine and fix some holes created as I removed my gear.
I've already mentioned $5500 on Ausfish but if it gets to an official add it will be higher.

Plenty know how well it has worked for me so seems like the interest is there for a few before I've even put it up for sale. Another week or so and I'll post it up.