PDA

View Full Version : *urgent* can someone help me

hamish
06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
hey.. i need some advice on what i might have done here

took the boat out last night .. got an evinrude 60hp motor on it but stupid me forgot to take the muffs off and i didnt relise while going out (wasnt full throttle at all so didnt relise the lack of power) .. then later on decided to go chk the pots motor stoped on me thought i had shit caught round the prop so tilted it up to relise i left the ear muffs on .. it took about an hour to get the thing going again and now full warm up is like idle and its flat out running smooth it dies as soon as u back off and wont even come close to half revs ... any suggestions on what i might have done ? its blowing a little bit of smoke but not much but it dose take alot to kick over now almost as if its not firing ?

thanks any help would be greatly apreciated ..
hamish

banshee
06-11-2005, 06:27 PM
Take it to a mechanic,I don't think it's going to be good news.

Spaniard_King
06-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a rebuild for you hamish :'(

a compression check will confirm this

Garry

bay_firey
06-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Administer last Rights and put it out of it's misery

ShaneJ
06-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Do you have an anchor?

sid_fishes
07-11-2005, 07:10 AM
he does if he unbolts the motor

Big_Kev
07-11-2005, 09:01 AM
I read that and recalled the end of Pac Man when he would shrivel up, go beep beep and flash game over.
This is a good point score for flushing in a drum as it is not the first I have heard of it.
Hamish if you have boat insusance you may be able to make a claim towards accidental damage. Claims for garbage bags blocking the inlet are covered in some insurance company policies.
Best of luck with it. Kev.

madman1
07-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Get a good set of oars.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

vermin
07-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I assume the motor doesn't have an overheat warning alarm. My condolences ... I get a sick feeling thinking about it. :(

jimbamb
07-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Plenty of comments noone has told you wat has happened,My guess motor has overheated due to lack of water.Thus piston rings have lost there tension probably scoring the bore and ruining the pistons.hence the comments about rebuilding.Guess you learned the hard way to check water coming out of telltale every time you start ythe motor.
Gonna cost ya heaps im afraid!!

SeaHunt
07-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Bad luck Hamish,
Must be a good spring on your muffs if the water pressure didn't knock them off. If going slow enough I would have thought the impellor would have sucked some water up through the hose attachment nozzle??

Sound like the pistons are tight in the bore.. In other word the motor has almost seized... New rings and cylinder hone is probably the best you could hope for, other wise new pistons as well plus maybe more , they wont know until they pull it down.
If its a old premix 2 stroke you could try running it with extra oil (like 20 to one instead of 50 or whatever it uses) for a while and hope it frees up.
Risking further damage of course, but I think its screwed anyway.

At the risk of closing the gate after the horse has bolted , you need a checklist and check it off everytime you put your boat in, one check is to make sure the tell tale is pissn quicker than you can.
Probably saved my $9k outboard more than once. :-/

hamish
08-11-2005, 09:28 AM
thanks seahunt for some actually useful info .... id already thought about the compression test im doing that this arvo

the motor dose seem to have low compression its easy as to turn by hand so hopefully i can get away with a hone and some rings ? i have to do most of the work myself as mula is a problem lol like always but yes thanks for ur help i'll let u know how i go

familyman
08-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Hamish I used to have an old merc 50 which got water in the bottom 2 cylinders through the water jacket baffle which is a plate between the exhaust gas and the cooling water.Price to repair from merc agent $1150 plus :( :(
Did it myself in the shed being fairly mechanically minded for $178 inc parts.If you feel confident then you have nothing to lose.Make lots of notes as you go ,bag all the parts and identify on the bag.Remember help is but an internet connection away ;)
The only proviso is dont take a box full of loose parts to the local outboard guy an say "can you fix this?" >:(
Anyway if you do it yourself the first step is to get the bores lubed to not do any more damage,use kero and oil 50/50 in a trigger spray and DO NOT run the motor any more until it has been repaired.Avoid turning the motor over unnessessarily,the merc had cast iron bores but I dont know about the 'rudes.
Good luck ,pm me if you want more info
cheers jon