PDA

View Full Version : cavitation plate wings

slacky
03-11-2005, 07:46 AM
I am thinking of buying wings for my motor.Can anyone with these wings fitted tell me if they really work.I have a cavitation problem when turning at speed.I can lower the motor but would lose speed and economy.The cavitation is only a problem when i tow my kids on a tube,because when I go fishing its just flatout in a strait line.HELP ME PLEASE

finga64
03-11-2005, 07:53 AM
works for me.

SeaHunt
03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
What size and type of boat and motor?
They are normally useful for getting you out of the hole, not sure about turning at speed.

What I do know though is , do not get one that has any flex in it. :(
Suggest SE sports or Permatrim about $120 depending on size.
You will also have to adjust the way you trim the boat at speed, less trim is required and too much can be dangerous. :o

slacky
03-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Its a 4.6 dory with 60 4st tiller

speedy
03-11-2005, 04:22 PM
save some money get rid of the kids ;D lol
prob solved ;)

The_Walrus
04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I'd definitely go the Permatrim.

You can also use it as a boarding step.

Luc

slacky
04-11-2005, 07:42 PM
permatrim it is . Thanks fellas

2iar
04-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Permatrim looks the goods. Any testimonials from Ausfishers? Anyone know a local supplier in Brisbane?

Thanks,
Mike

The_Walrus
04-11-2005, 10:49 PM
My boat is a tiller steered SeaJay 4m Bass n Barra powered by a 25/4 yamaha.

I'm a big bloke and even with as much weight as possible towards the front, my boat had a bad nose up coming out of the hole and took a while to get on the plane. #Fittting the permatrim cured that and now gets up on the plane much faster. #As a bonus, I can stay on the plane at a much slower speed.

I've seen them at Sundown Marine.

I got mine direct from the Australian distributor.

http://www.marinews.com/permatrim/index.html

Luc

Stumpthumpa
05-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I would also give a rap for the Permatrim. I recently fitted one to my 4.1m Allycraft Shadow - with a 30hp Yammy. We have a lot of weight up front with deep cycle battery, bowmount electric etc,. Difference is fantastic, faster out of the hole, levels up quicker on the plane and at lower speeds, stays on the plane at lower speeds, everything I hoped it would do. My wife purchased ours at a boating show from the manufacturer and I must also give a thumbs up for their service - told my wife to get me to call them and they took me through the whole mounting procedure - very helpful.

Only scary thing is once you start drilling holes in the cavitation plate, you sure hope it works - which is a bit daunting if you are unsure but I would not be without it now.

A very happy customer.

Goodoochaser
05-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Have a Permatrim on a 30 hp Mercury (Tohatsu) fitted to a 4.2 Stessco Catcher RV, out of the hole and slow plane, Superb, also I find it helps hold the boat level at speed in cross winds no more asking passengers to move to trim the boat. have tried other shapes and brands over the years, Permatrim is the best to date. Jee's Permatrim better put Ausfish on a commission.

Howard

Bert007
06-11-2005, 07:14 AM
There was a cav plate fitted to the sterndrive of my old penta leg. It only had part of the sticker left on it which said SP 300, any one know If the old pentas were able to be trimmed up at speed . It seems to just drop down onto the lock trim bar when you power on. The only way to raise it again is to back off the throttle and put it into neutral. Adjusting the trim bar may be the only way and therefore a compromise for all speeds ?? Cheers, Bert

FNQCairns
06-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Bert - one word, trim tabs. #;D

It was common for old engine setups to have tilt but no trim, triming with the outboard (or leg) only while underway is not real efficient anyway so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain with a set of tabs.

cheers fnq

familyman
06-11-2005, 04:24 PM
FNQ one word?????? trim tabs hmmmm ;)
cheers jon

Bert007
06-11-2005, 04:44 PM
8-) Cheers, FNQ I will look at fitting them. Truth is Ive a lot more to understand than just this, original prop pitch and diameter and some more info on the Seagull itself.
Cheers, Bert

New_fisher
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Guys, I have heard many good things about the permatrim but does anyone have any experience with the stingray hydrofoils - I think they are called XP-1? The guy at the boat shop recommended them, I was thinking of giving them a go. Do most of the hydrofoils use the same hole pattern for the bolts - if I try one and it's no good, do I need to drill more holes in the cav plate to fit the new one - heaven forbid.
Thanks boys,
Hurlz.

Goodoochaser
08-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Hurlz,

Afraid so, different manufacturer = different hole spacing = cave plate looking like swiss cheese.

Howard