PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing stormcovers ....

Hookem_Herby
08-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi guys,
Got a problem :o ;D
I have noticed that on my last few trips offshore, that some water spray and rain ::) has been leaking through the front storm covers (above the windscreen), most of the moisture seems to be seeping through the material around the zips. I had water drip down and onto/in behind my tacho and now it's f***ed. :'( Cost me $500 for a new one so I want to make sure my colour chartplotter and fishfinder aren't next on the list. :-/ :P
My question is this, how can I stop this from happening? Is it as simple as using a waterproof spray on the material? Will it harm/effect the plastic stormcovers (ie cause deterioration)?? Any other ways of waterproofing the storm covers?

Cheers,
Herby

bidkev
08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Silicone sprays are most effective Herby. Old fashioned, but another way is to rub with candle wax but this could discolour the canvas. The majority of "run in" on tents and storm covers happens around the zips or seams where stretch has opened up the needle holes. This is where candle wax can be most effective or you can buy an appropriate seam sealer at a camping store. My high level tents have all the seams sealed by rubbing on bostik glue but nowadays most quality tents have their seams taped over covering the needle holes. Driving rain or spray will get forced through zips anyway and there's not much you can do about it other than taping over them. Duct tape cut into narrow strips does the job neatly.

kev

Hookem_Herby
08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Kev, somehow had a feeling you'd be of help on this topic (not saying that you're usually useless of anything!!! ;D) :-X
Thanks for the tips, very much appreciated. Will start with the silicon spray and will try a camping store as well to check out the seam sealers and what they have to offerin that regard.
Not expecting to stay totally dry .... but would like to improve on the present set up.

Thanks again mate,
Herby

Elysium
08-11-2005, 03:25 PM
After 12 years in the canvas industry I have learnt this...

If you have clear curtains on your covers DO NOT USE SILICON SPRAY (or any other harsh chemical)!!!!!!!!! chemicals such as this can turn the clear plastic (crystal) a nice shade of brown...it will go hard, crack and then be totally F##ked.

If you want to seel the zips use beeswax...not candlewax...this will not effect the material in any way and is readily available from good camping stores. it comes in a tube similar to lipstick.

As for the material itself...if it is proper marine canvas then you could waterproof it using the proofing agents from camp stores...but in all honesty the amount of times you need to do it to keep it waterproof just aint worth the hassle.

As soon as the budget allows...you are better off getting a new set made up.

Hookem_Herby
09-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Thanks for your informative post Elysium. :)
I'll try the beeswax if all else fails. :-/
My clear curtains are still A1, it's just around the zips and the adjoining material that water seeps through and into the boat. :'(
Anyone else with ideas or info on this topic?? Let's hear ya! ::) ::)

Cheers,
Herby

Volvo
09-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Herb, had herxactly :'( same problemo meself with my Rig n canopy.Used all sorts of u-beut stuff but by the time the next trip came up after Boat sat fer a wee while and went out again the spray just came back down throught the same old stitching..
only thing that fixed the problem in the end was to get a flap made up and sewn above and to the front of the main canopy especially where my drop down flaps zip up so i can stick me noggin out to see where i 'm headin in the dark..
Drop this flap over and tie off to the bowrail when the boat sits incase it rains and also if i'm getting excess spray over the front if ive got the sea on one of my front quarters..
Try take a pic for you next days off if i think of it ey..
Cheers

Hookem_Herby
09-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Yer, a pic would be good Pete ... still trying to get a visual image of your set-up.
Did you try all of the above suggestions??? :-/ And NONE worked??? :'( :(
Bugga!! >:(
Thanks for the reply and input mate.

Cheers and beers,
Herby