PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on syphoning

Wild_cat
06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Gents

Looking for some advise on the best methods of syphoning feul. I have a shark cat with 2x 100lt tanks Apart from the cost of fuel these day I'm also concerned about the time the unleaded fuel sits in the tanks before I use the boat. I'm cosidering decanting the fuel to the thirsty L'cruiser and just filling up the night before I go out. Therefore running fresh fuel all the time and keeping the amount of water in the tanks to a minium. I sick (literaly) of sucking the fuel, So any cheap effective methods would be appreciated

The old shark cat as you could imagine has high sides with the olny entry via the filler pipe mounted on the side gunnell rails ( i hope that is the right spelling and terminolgy).

Another point I would like advise on. I noticed some time back a disscussion on wether top use premium fuel or not for outboard, was there any major advantage for 2 stroke engines? I have 2x 90hp mariners 2002 models. I'll also run it by the service agent.

lil_boatie
06-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Just get a small hand pump (from crazy clarks or somewhere like that) or take the fuel line off a external tank and pump it with the bulb. ;)

revs57
06-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Hey Wild Cat,

You've obviously not seen the fuel jiggler dohickies that have been around the show circuits boat/car/caravan & camping show curcuits over the past couple of years. Its a piece of copper/brass tube with a marble in the end that is then necked down. This copper/brass end is pushed into a peice of fuel resistent clear hose, dropped into your fuel container and jiggled. The motion traps fuel in the hose and the marble seals the end, ultimately pulling fuel up the hose...you keep jiggling until the whole tube is full and the syphoning process takes over...not very expensive...under $20.00...and reall easy to store..just coil up in the bottom of a storage locker flat.

I'd reckon your local camping shop would have an awareness of them

They are listed as an accessory on the Lion web page, under fuel containers, scroll down until you see the "brass jiggler syphon pump" it gives a description there.

http://www.lionaust.com.au/index.html

I typed Fuel Syphon jiggler in the search engine and it gave me the options

Hope this helps

cheers

Rhys

PG
06-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Be careful you don't get a build up of condensation inside the empty tank. I've heard keeping the tank full can help prevent this.
Anyone else heard this or was someone pulling my leg?

revs57
06-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Hmmmmm being a Lion produce i'd be reckon Autobarn or one of the larger car accessory stores would have a line on it???

Just thinking

all the best

Rhys

revs57
06-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Paul you're spot on!!!Condensation can't form in a full tank!!!

Manjilad
07-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Siphon jigglers - dangerous- already have one marble and end floating around in my fuel tank! Best add security wiring (eg copper) so the lot does not fall into your tank too!! Also this would not fit into out metal jerry can!

You can buy plastic siphon pumps that you squeeze to get started then it all flows by gravity- from $2.75 at supercheap (but is a small diameter hose) to larget ones $25-$35 from Bias, Repco and come with lots of hose sizes etc
have fun
Cheers

Good_as_Gold
07-11-2005, 06:43 AM
I always keep a jiggler in the boat it takes up no room and can help others out on the water, or even yourself.
Just be carefull that the head does not get stuck in the tank inlet.

billfisher
07-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Wild cat,

Are you saying you are siphoning by sucking with your mouth? This is very dangerous. If you swallow fuel and it goes down the wrong way, ie into your lungs it will destroy them. This is why a lot of sailors in WW2 died within a few hours of being rescued from the sea. They had swallowed the floating fuel.

Poseidon
07-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Gidday Wildcat,

Whatever you do, as Billfisher said, give up on sucking fuel !!

I spent a few days in hospital after taking in a small amount down the hatch, the rest went down the chest, Solo Man style.

Even a small amount down the girgler knocks you up. It takes a long time for the smell and taste of the fuel to leave your system and the fumes are overpowering almost to the point of being unable to breath.

Regards Cameron.

Wild_cat
07-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Yes I have been guilty of sucking to syphon fuel. Agreed even with a clear hose it is a pretty silly thing to do, but that is why i'm asking for some alternative suggestion.

( Reminds me of the bloke that found a jerry can a hose and obvious signs of someone being physially sick around his camper/truck. Turns out the bloke flogging the fuel got the wrong filler pipe and tried to suck out the raw sewage from the waste tank- just one of those urban legends I think but servs the Bast*&( right)

I have used a similar product to the jiggiler but I would be concerned about loosing the tip as the are a few small off-set for the tip to drag on. I would probaly want to use a 32mm clear flexiable hose as this could move a fair amout of fuel. I was thinking of rigging a fitting on the end of a yabbie pump to draw the fuel to point that gravity will take over. Just have to grab a few more thongs to make some yabbie pump washers.

The condensation problem has me a bit concerned but I think the only time I won't get it is if there is no air space in the tank wihich is hard to maintain probably much easier to keep checking on the fuel filters

Any other sugestions or point of view?

JubJub
08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
You can do it safely with a clear hose. Let the hose sag down below the fuel level and keep the end you are suckin higher. All you need to do is get enough fuel to fill to the bottom, place your finger over the end and lower it.

You can also buy cheap drum pumps for around 90 bucks. If you have some way to mount it into your tank its probably a good option or get a bung or tap put in the tank.

billfisher
08-11-2005, 10:19 AM
JubJub,

I wouldn't risk siphonining by mouth. I don't even like the idea of putting you finger over the hose. Petrol contains aromatic compounds such as benzene which are known carcinogens and are absorbed through the skin.

Duyz72
10-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Although I am guilty of siphoning with my mouth quite a few times (undit hardlee effectud me neiva! [smiley=dizzy.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif]) I would say one of those old manual plastic spigot pumps would be the go to get the flow started. Cheap, clear so you can see it and easy to use.