PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Freedom Sport

marzoe
25-10-2005, 09:46 AM
I have not long bought a new Quintrex 460 Freedom Sport. Since I have had the boat I have had problems getting fuel into it. It just wants to spit the fuel back out after the tank is abut 3/4s full. Its a bit annoying as its hard for me to check the economy of the boat.
Has anyone has a similar problem? I have had it checked out with the first service and they said everything was OK.

southernson
25-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Apart from the fuel problem what do you think of the boat mate? What motor have you got on it? How does it perform? Thinking about upgrading. We had a problem with our 455 coastrunner when we first got it. It would run really rough when the motor was trimmed out at a certain point. Took it back to sort the problme out n was told that some quintrex do have some probelms with something to do with the tank, not sure what it was but ended up being a carby prob. This was 2-3yrs ago so you'd think quiiny would have sorted it out. Hope you sort out your prob marzoe.
Cheers

marzoe
25-10-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a 50 hp two stroke yammy on it. The oil injection model.
I would have loved the 60 four stroke but I wasn't quite up too it price wise.
I think it goes great and the Millennium hull makes it fairly comfortable in moderate swells.
Definitely recommend the boat.
Cheers

southernson
25-10-2005, 12:59 PM
How fast does she go? main reason being would be used for skiing. I definately agree with the ride the millenium hull gives, great ride and awesome tracking round corners.

WOOF
25-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I have recently bought a new 480 F/S.
Its got a total of 12 hours on it now and getting close to its first service.
Its got a 75hp Merc 2st......get about 10l per hour cruising effortlessly at 3750 rpm (with a few WOT runs) and thats in all seas. Will do about 5300rpm but I want run it in properly before giving it too much of a squirt or even pull a skier.
Filling the boat is exactly the same on mine. Just got to be a bit patient when its getting close to full....it will spit back a bit when its got about 20l left to fill....so just fill it slowly and all will be good.
Cant fault the boat yet. Love it. Very happy with it.

southernson
25-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Sorry must of miss read the 1st article, but yeah its a bit tedious filling it once it gets of 3/4 full. Takes a few clicks on the bowser. Do you find the 75merc to run very rough? Just heard a few reports that they can be a bit rough running. Cheers

WOOF
25-10-2005, 05:05 PM
After coming from a single cylinder diesel powered yacht that went putt putt putt......the merc is gold!
Its a little rough at idle and very low rpm but not under way. But the 'rough idle' can barely be called rough.....its more of a 3 cylinder 'chug'.
Never feels like it will stall and happy with it so far.

marzoe
26-10-2005, 06:46 AM
The 460 Freedom Sport does about 25 knots at 5200 revs. Good cruising at about 20-22 knots 46-4800 revs.
I think you could pull a skier but you might have trouble getting someone out of the water on a deep start with a single ski.
No worries for doubles or tubes or the likes.
Generally the boat might be a little underpowered for this though.
Regards
Tim

southernson
26-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I thought the 460 freedom would be a bit slower than that with a 50. Our 455 coastrunner does bout 30-32mile wot n trimmed, (50merc). Makes them a bit more appealing. We do single ski deep starts with it n dont have a prob. Thanks for the info mate
Cheers

madman1
27-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I have the same problem with my 525 Stacer. After a while you can hear when the tank is nearly full and then slow down on the pump.

once you get used to it you wont waste any of that precious fuel!!!

Cheers

Mark

Aussiebob
08-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Hi there. I am a new member to this forum. I have been around boats for many years - power and sail - and have today placed an order for a Freedom Sport 480, with Mercury 75hp. Woof, I used to have a Compass 28 yacht at one stage which had a Volvo 10hp diesel, which (when it decided to run properly) would also go putt putt putt - so I know the feeling. I have previously owned a 2000 Sea Wasp 500, so know just a little about Quintrex boats. But any suggestions / recommendations gladly received. I moved to Hervey Bay in January this year and am really looking forward to exploring these waters.
Best wishes

Hookem_Herby
08-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Your fuel issue could just be caused by an air bubble escaping the tank .... my boat does the same when the tank is 90% full. Just slow down and take it easy and you won't have a problem.
I take it that you have an underfloor tank. ::)

Cheers,
Herby

Aussiebob
10-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi Woof,

Thanks for the reply. I can't respond to you with a personal email 'cos the system says I don't yet have enough posts. The boat is standard apart from the front and side clears, and the 75hp Mercury. I ordered the walkway on the trailer (tired of slipping on the boat ramp and ripping my leg....) and the motor bracket. Thought of getting a spare wheel, but I live only about ten kms from the ramp, so it's probably a waste of money at this stage. I have not owned a boat for about three years now, which is the longest time I have gone without a boat for about twenty years! Have had a variety of sailing dingies, and then keel boats, and then switched to power for a while (on the Hawkesbury in NSW). Fishing is something I've taken up only relatively recently, and I have lots to learn! The Hawkesbury was very lean when it came to decent sized fish, so I am hoping Hervey Bay will be better!

Best wishes,