PDA

View Full Version : additional rod holders for the boat

philip_thomson
13-10-2005, 02:03 PM
my boat has only got 2 rod holders down the back.

i find while offshore fishing with 3 people this is insufficent as 2 are taken up with floaters.

ideally i would like an extra 1 each side on an angle for trolling. i am tempted to place a bait board with 2 rod holders in it down the back. my concern with this is i tend to fish 1 person either side and 1 down the back. would this affect the fishing down the back?

here are some photos of the back of my boat.

what i would like to know is where you would suggest placing rod holders and would a bait board work?

cheers phil

photo of port side of boat.

philip_thomson
13-10-2005, 02:06 PM
photo of starboard side of boat.

note: the chair down the back is folded down while fishing

philip_thomson
13-10-2005, 02:08 PM
back of boat

philip_thomson
13-10-2005, 02:09 PM
back of boat aerial view.

the two hatches are bait tanks (not plumbed)

Commodore
13-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi Phil,
what about these locations??

darryl_l
13-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Here is what I would be looking to do

Darryl L

Black_Rat
13-10-2005, 02:25 PM
G'day Unlucky #;D

Mate maybe a low slung bait board with two rodholders at either end on a 45 degree angle might do the trick. #:) Need to look and motor cowl clearance when the motors up and how to fix it to the fibreglass. Wouldn't really like to take a hole saw to it for the two supports but maybe some sort of a sleeve fixed to the transom top and fit the poles into that. That way if ya wanted to remove it later you'd have a few screw holes as apposed to a cople of 40 - 50 mm holes #to fix :-/ #just a few thoughts #:D A bit of a piccie for ya, but not up to your artistic skills phil #:P #;D

Damo

PS: a third bloke fishing up the back could make use of a holder installed the way Darryl has mentioned if you have the room to get the angle on the holder away from the side of the boat your after.

gunna
13-10-2005, 03:51 PM
I would be looking at the bait board option. #Some of them have goo rod holder set-ups. #You could even get one custom made. #Other than that - maybe one each side sup near the front seats as already indicated on the photos. #The mate has a couple good ones Similar to this

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Fishing_Gear_Accessories-Berkley_Boat_Rod_Holder

pegasus
13-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi Phil, hope you ll excuse a bit of non expert input here-the bait board idea sounds good- your coamings look a little narrow around mid ships to insert angled out holders.in addition here's another idea- how about those rails there- mounting a holder on them either side- I know most of the plastic ones are fairly light duty but there are some stainless options I have seen around that look considerably stronger.Have seen some good examples in U.S catlougues available for shipment here if you couldnt find anything home grown. Also laynards could be used as piece of mind.

best regards
lew

mackmauler
13-10-2005, 07:11 PM
get some extra glassing under the back coamings phil and get a huge mother baitboard (the kind you could sit jays mamma on) with 4 extra big rod holders coming off it.

Camo
13-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Phil if I was you I'd do like these other guys have suggested. Go with the bait board. Thats what I did. You get your extra rod holders and it frees up space in your boat as well.

Camo

Scott15
13-10-2005, 08:11 PM
instead of cutting into the sides, get some good quality holders that sit on your side rails

2iar
13-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Phil if I was you I'd do like these other guys have suggested. Go with the bait board. Thats what I did. You get your extra rod holders and it frees up space in your boat as well.

Camo

Camo,

At the risk of sounding like young platinum Chemmy, er...., any pics?

Where did you get your baitboard from? - I had a quick squizz in Whitworths and wasn't that impressed with what they had. (Hope you dan't say "Whitworths" now :D)

Thanks,
Mike

philip_thomson
13-10-2005, 10:51 PM
no. 1 is a suggestion that Cheech gave. putting a holder on the angled part would this work. if i got a holder on an angle then countered the angle off the boat it would have it heading out on a jsut off vertical manor

no. 2 is where i think the metal bar finishes (after being secured in by all the stuff that is used to secure it in)

mackmauler
13-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Be careful with some of the holder protruding into the cockpit on an angle from the coamings they dont call it a cockpit for nothin, your balls wont appreciate being slammed into the metal.

Bashir
14-10-2005, 12:45 AM
I think it is going to be very hard for you to get the rod holders facing out because of your narrow coamings, which is really what you need to troll some lures. #I suggest you add some 30 deg rod holders prefereably in pos 2 - try to squeeze them in if you can and have them pointing out as wide as possible. #If this is not possible, then mount some 90deg holders in pos 1 or 2, and get a couple of these things made of stainless, or you can buy them from the USA, not sure about here.

QCR
14-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi Phil,
This is a pic of the "Scottys" rod holders on our boat, they are just in front of the flush mounted holders. We catch Mackerel and other large species on these holders and they never let us down. They are fully adjustable in all positions and can be taken off the base to store if necessary.
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/671/img0969copy7km.jpg

Camo
14-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Camo,

At the risk of sounding like young platinum Chemmy, er...., any pics?

Where did you get your baitboard from? - I had a quick squizz in Whitworths and wasn't that impressed with what they had. (Hope you dan't say "Whitworths" now #:D)

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I don't shop at Whitworths, don't even know where they're located any more. Have you looked at the Bermuda cutting boards, they don't look too bad.
[url]http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/MPI/mmproddb.nsf/Products+Main+Page?openform&Restrict=BERMUDA%20FISHING%20ESSENTIALS[url]

The cutting board on the boat pictured below was bought second hand. I think I paid about $150 for it. That was nine years and two boats ago. The cutting board on my latest boat has a live bait tank built into it, but no rod holders. I really miss the extra rod holders.

Camo

loggerhead
14-10-2005, 01:18 PM
These bait boards can have two rod holders and a snapper rack fitted as per photo - plenty of options.

2iar
14-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks Camo,

They look more like what I was after. I'll have a google around and see where I can get them. I don't get the new boat til next week, so don't have any measurements yet.

Thanks again,
Mike

Duyz72
14-10-2005, 03:09 PM
I have a solution for you, and no need to cut any holes! Weld up one of these baby's! You just slip it in to your exisiting rod holders ;D ;D

Cheech
15-10-2005, 10:51 AM
As I recall, there was not enough room on the flat due to the metal bar. That is why I suggested mounting on the angled section. Initially I thought you would just use a straight rod holder, but that would not get enough of an angle away from the side of the boat. Using a normal angled rod holder , but upside down if you know what I mean, would make the angle up probably about the same as a normal mounted holder, or perhaps a bit more vertical, and there will be just enough room in the cavity to rotate it a bit to be able to point a bit to the side. At least that is what I thought at the time.

Don't know about using these for trolling. The problem Phil has is just a lack of general use holders. That is what I would use these for.

If it was my boat I would mount a straight and an angled holder each side on the stearn section because it is pretty wide. 2 straight holders more towards the centre for the bait board, and 2 angled ones next to the bait tanks pointing straight back.

Can't have too many holders. I have 8 gunnall holders, 2 bait board holders and another 6 internal holders I use when travelling.

Cheech

vertico
10-11-2005, 07:32 PM
very nice duyz

SCOTTYGC
11-11-2005, 12:24 PM
how about some of them flash bolt on types that vertico used on his boats

then bolt them on to that metal bar??

i seen some in a tackel shop on the coast the other day

scotty