PDA

View Full Version : replacement motor advice

Woody
07-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey fella's,
# # # # # # # #I'm chasin advice on what outboard would best suit a 1999 model hornet trophy. It had a johnson 2 stroke 50hp on it but it's shagged. #If I went new, would a smaller hp do the same job. Should I look at a 4 stroke or stick to 2 strokes???? #Is there much difference in reliability or performance in the new models??. # Any advice is appreciated

woody

Blackened
08-11-2005, 08:58 AM
G'day
First of all whats the intended use? fishing/cruising go a 4 stroke, skiing and cost savings(initally) go a 2 stroke. I believe in putting the maximum rated horsepower on your hull if the budget allows as this will lead to a less stressed engine and better fuel economy, and power if u need it. All brands these days, there isnt much between them but i'm biased as a merc fan. Have a look around, you may pick up a good 2nd hand one for cheap?
Dave

gunna
08-11-2005, 09:36 AM
What size hornet - 4.35M ?? A 50H is fine for that. Two stroke is cheaper but louder and smellier. Depends on whether you want to pay the extra for a 4 stroke to get quiet and no smell. Can't imagine you would do the kilometres to recoup the money in fuel savings. Also more weight in the 4 stroke.

Having said that - my current motor is 2 stroke - the next will be a 4.

Woody
09-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the input fella's but what would you do ??????? #My options are Rebuild my johnson at about $3800 or the cheapest newby is a "Tohatsu" 50 carby 2 stroke at around $6000 Keeping in mind I've already spent $800 ish to strip her down.

woody

dnej
10-11-2005, 02:20 PM
What year model is the Johnno
David

Woody
11-11-2005, 10:00 PM
David,
It's a 1999 model 2 stroke 50hp. I'm thinking about replacing her with a new "Tohatsu" same size 2 stroke carby job. Has anyone got one or know someone who has???? I'd appreciate your opinion.

woody