PDA

View Full Version : New Member, New Boat

Winska82
10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
G'day peoples!!, this my first post, thought i might start with some pics of my new(second-hand)boat. Shes a 14' cruise craft, 70hp jonhson(dunno what year model :-/), sounder, radio. Had it a week, a mate and i went halfs(cheap way to get on the water) We took it out last wk/end, started it at home on the muffs fired first go, took it down bribie, got it in the water wouldn't go sat there 4 a hour(couple of rums later) we gave up put the boat on the trailer headed home, put the muffs on it straight away fired first go, so we headed back to the boat ramp, in the water......wouldn't go. Eventually got going headed out the passage anhcored up sounder was showing heaps, shined the torch over the side F**King jellyfish, so pulled anchor then the boat wouldn't start, one last go and she fired so we called it a day!. Headed down boat shop next day same turn of events, motor got checked out...Perfect!!, sitting there scratching our heads with the mechanic. We came to the conclusion that we forgot(didn't know)to open the breather valve on the fuel tank!!!!!. So this wk/end were gonna give it another go(finger crossed!!)

blaze
10-11-2005, 03:37 PM
welcome
wont have thought a breather would stop the initial start, should start and run for a few minutes and if your at full revs it will suck ya tank in. Possibiliy at this time is maybe your cold start techeque needs some modifing. dont know if you have power tilt/trim ? if you have, try only just submerging the cav plate as there is less exhaust back pressure. Make sure you prime the fuel bulb until hard. may even need to apply some cold start throttle (for want of a better desciption).
any way best of luck and enjoy your boating, Hole to pour $ in
cheers
blaze

Winska82
10-11-2005, 03:41 PM
Cheers blaze, I will take that into note, hopefully it's ok now. The boat mech.. said it could be 2 much back presure. Just hope it don't stuff again.

Fishinmishin
10-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Good luck with the rig mate. I'll catch ya on the water one of these days.
Cheers, Jay

Winska82
10-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Too easy fishin, i'll be hunting out the bay. Tight Lines!

bidkev
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the site mate. I'll give you a tow sometime ;) ;D

cheers

kev

dnej
10-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Does the control have a warm up lever? This is a secondary lever , on the same box as the main gear lever. Some do, some dont.
Your choke,auto or manual? Is it working?
Mine can be set in either position.
A said previously, are you pumping up the bulb?Certainly could be back pressure, that doest show up with muffs.
Regards David

Winska82
10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
it's got warm up lever, manual choke, yeah always prime it unless we've had it running. The boat shop checked it all out, motor, carbies, fuel lines are aok. Fingers crossed it was just that breather valve on the tank cause a vaccum and not letting the fuel flow!!!.

Winska82
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I'll hold ya to that kingtin, should be right now anyways. Have you lads got any idea what year model motor is?

blaze
10-11-2005, 07:07 PM
late 70 early eighties, give me the serial/model number and I will tell ya.
cheers
blaze

Cheech
10-11-2005, 07:57 PM
If you are doing everything exactly the same at home with the muffs as you are doing at the ramp or on the water, my money is on the angle the engine is sitting on. You may have it tilted too far down when on the water. Remember that the boat is also angled more up compared to when it is sitting on the trailer. Raise it to about vertical and give it a try. Could just be a carby float problem.

Cheech

JB
10-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Welcome to the chat board Winska82, Aside from ur starting problem it looks like a great boat to be scooting around the bay in. I'm sure you and your mate will have a ball on the water this summer. Watever u do this summer , make sure you have 2 rods rigged up with slugs ready to go as your crusing around the bay, crossing fingers it will be a bumper mackerel season. You never know when or where the buggers might start busting up, and it can be a great way to fill the esky ;) :D

JB

Winska82
10-11-2005, 08:59 PM
We didn't try that cheech, if she spits the dummy again we'll give it a go. I'll be a bit on that serial number blaze as the boats at mates place, i'll pm it 2 ya!!. JB cheers mate, i'll definently give the slugs ago, Any particular brand? if your willing?

Thanks for all the post fella's, top info :)

skippa
10-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Welcome to ausfish mate.

Gotta agree with Blaze, a boat is just a hole to throw $ into ;D

Ahh, you'll love it anyway. Motor looks the same as I had once, I'd go an '82 model. I'd be suss on the breather Valve being the real problem, won't stop it from starting, just will stop after a few minutes.

Had an old Evenrude that had corroded between the exhaust jackets, ran fine on the muffs, but was a bitch to start and wouldn't idle when the leg was submerged in the water.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

aussiefool
11-11-2005, 02:29 AM
G'day and welcome winska82 it seems dumb but are the battery terminals tight? I had a simular prob. once once tightened fixed best of luck

DNO40
11-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Winska82,

Welcome to Ausfish and the world of fishing. You will find lots of good advice on this site from some very experienced people who have had the same troubles that you are having.

If we never had any minor hiccups it would be pretty boring !

Best of luck with the new rig, will be at RI over XMAS and all around the Bay.

DNO

dnej
11-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Question, is the warm up lever being used, and is the choke on, when you try to start.
Have you done a compression check?
Take a look on the internet, to see how a two stroke draws its fuel , through the bottom end.
If compression is down, and combined with back pressure, it make it hard to draw the fuel.
Regards David

Wear_the_fox_hat
11-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Winska, before you go spending too much time & money finding the problem, replace the fuel bulb & when you do, make sure you have the arrow on it pointing in the right direction for the fuel flow. Had this problem once & new fuel bulb rectified it. Old one was starting to deteriorate inside. Let us know what fixes it as we may all learn something here.

WTFH

Argle
11-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Reading that gave me a bit of a laugh remembering back to an experience I had with my first boat. It was an old Stebercraft 16ft runabout with a Merc 150hp blue band, we arrived at the ramp at the dam and launched the boat and then proceeded to flatten the battery while trying to start it.

After much cursing and tinkering and assuring the missus that we hadnt just bought a lemon ( I hoped) we pulled it back out and took it back to camp to cool off.

After charging the battery overnight we awoke full of hope that a new day would fix the problem, so confident was I that all would be right I towed the boat around to the service station at the park and pulled the tote tanks out to fill them. The young girl who was pumping the fuel smiled sweetly said hi and undid the little knobs on top of the main cap took it off and started pumping fuel in, after she filled the tank replaced the cap and did up the little knob she said "dont forget to open the valve before you try to start the boat"

Oh of course I said everyone knows about those dont they? :-[. We then took the boat back to the ramp, launched UNDID THE LITTLE KNOB primed the bulb hit the key and wooosh away she went.

Boating has been a pleasure ever since. ;) I hope you have the same experience as we did.

Cheers

Fishin_Dan
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm going to go for the really simple question....

Is the boat in neutral when you try to start it???

If not, it won't start...
(Yes I've done it! ::) )

Black_Rat
11-11-2005, 02:01 PM
;D something always seems to happen when you first take a new rig out (new or used) for the first time. First time I had out my tinnie on the water dam near ran into a flash cruiser leaving Spinikar at Bribie #::) charter boat what charter boat ;D Welcome aboard #:)
Do I dare congratulate JB on his new 'Status' #:-X

gawby
11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Hey there, hi there, ho there ;)winska.
Some of these problems are very familiar with brejen and myself. ::)
Dont forget the bungs. Weve all done that. :-[
I had trouble trying to start my boat at the s'port ramp the other week and like stated make sure it is in nuteral. Mine was just out of it and wouldnt go. Had me stuffed. >:(
Graeme

Winska82
11-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Cheers 4 the post good advice!! :), i'll be going 4 a fish up Maroochy river tomorrow so i'll see how she goes and put all this info into use!!, i'll let ya know how it goes.(it is in neutral).

Cheers
KC