PDA

View Full Version : Putting together your own boat

Sean
11-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows how economical it is to buy the different parts of the boat and have them installed yourself compared to buying the boat packages. Surely if you leave off all the fancy crap and just purpose built your boat you would save a bit?? Thanks Sean :)

2Tone
11-11-2005, 09:59 PM
The only trouble I see with the concept is that when you build boats for a living you get to know how to do things right the first time. For example jigs for the motor position, motor height the correct prop, wiring, user functionality. And most important of all factory warranty's. The going rate is about $** an hour for services and about $** an hour for fit up's. Just watch who you go to. At the end of the day the best option is to find a dealership or private marine mechanic who you can get to itemise your quote before buying. If you want to do a really good boat you need to do a bit of research into the gear and specify every item you want fitted down to the make and model. IE $'s for the hull, $' for the motor, $' for the sounder, $'for the hourly rate for fitting the boat up.

An example a 4.2 tinny with motor, tiller steer, charging system, lights and sounder might be a 4 - 8 hour fit up. A 4.75 tinny with motor, hydraulic steer, forward control, lights, bilge, tank, sounder, gps, dual batteries, VSR, cabin lights, canopy, 2 radio's, filters might be a 30 - 50 hr fit up. To do it yourself increase the time by 20.

revs57
11-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi Sean

Yep 2 Tone is right...Professionals are supposed to do it right the first time...but I'm sure there are plenty of hooror stories around. It all depends on who you go to...that's for sure.

If you've got the time, the right advise and an inclination you can DIY and in some way save some $$$$. It also depends how you value your own time and your circumstances. If you're earning a motza an hour it may be worth it to pay someone to put it all together while you keep on making the dingaling. If bucks are tight and you've got the skills, tools, time and professional advise then I personally reckon its worth doing.

I'm preping the fit out on my new Rip Tide (see thread on this page for preview pics). Its good therapy for me...a change is as good as a holiday, I have some skills, and some very gifted boat builders giving me the best available advise and I'm not stuffing it up too much. Its really satisfying to see the boat take shape with the stuff I've contributed and adds to owner satisfaction and I'm not sure how you put a price on that.

Sure, Russ or Dave could probably do it in half the time, fortunately they have graciously allowed me to use their tools and templates and access their vast knowledge, so for the most part it is as good a job as any professional...

I'm sure others will contribute their opinions but these are a few of my thoughts

cheers

Rhys

Sean
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
I guess I wasn't planning on doing too much of the tech stuff myself,like attaching the engine, Just more like the floor, fitting sounderrs rod holders etc. More sourceing all the parts seperately. and cutting back on the unnecessary's. Keep the advise though, Thanks Sean....P.S Does anyone know of the rough prices for an empty alluminium hull around 4.8mtrs Unpainted? Just roughly :)

bignick
12-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Consider purchasing a basic BMT package and do all the other add-on stuff yourself. For example, take the boat to the trimmer's yourself; the yard would farm the work out to a trimmer anyway and add on 10-20% for themselves. It is a lot more buggerising around, but it can save a heap of money in the long run. Besides, it's fun watching your boat come together.

Cheers,
NICK.