PDA

View Full Version : Help with garman gps 72

reevesey
12-11-2005, 07:46 AM
G'day, i have just brought a garman gps 72 & was hoping someone can help. If i want to go from say colmslie boat ramp to curtain, should i create a route or go there first and save the track and follow that back home. If i create a route, how should i do it, do i keep creating waypoints every time i make a turn or what. I know all this is in the manual but i'm a bit of a dumb prick.
Thanks.

Fishin_Dan
12-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Mate just cruise out there, and when you go to come back, there will be a "trail" of small dots the whole way over there... The unit does this automatically for you... Just follow the dots all the way back.

What I did was to mark a couple of points around the mouth of Kedron Brook (Where I was leaving from) in a route that brings me back into the channel safely. Then save those as a route called "HOME" or something. When you get out to where ever you fish, and you are finished, follow the trail back along, and then select the Route "HOME" when you get nearish. This will then guide you safely back into the channel and home.

Big_Kev
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I use the GPS72. You will only need to mark the major points so that you know where you are after dark.

The snail trail you left when you went out at daylight will help coming in after dark, but this trail needs to be found when you look around for it and don't know where you are.

This is when the major points will help.

The GPS72 will overwrite the trip when you go out elsewhere on other days.(it only has a limited memory)

I would only plot the route if I was doing it regular and heading back in at night. But i do plot the start point of channels, like the leads at the start of the river.

As you gather more points in your log (important to enter a name you will recognise) it will assist by showing them as you go.
Be sure to mark the shxt you want to miss.

IE; ROCKS!!!

Best bet is practice to use the thing to the level you need. They are handy gadgets and you could play with em all day but fishing is more important then knowing what all the info is in the little sucker.

Cheers Kev.

Mantaray
12-11-2005, 08:22 PM
be a smart prick, read the manual!