PDA

View Full Version : Mounting replacement engine???

serchy
13-11-2005, 01:18 AM
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a new (second hand motor for my boat, in saying that, it is a different make and size #to the old one).
Is there a site or information on mounting the motor myself? Heights etc
Yamaha 150 V6 I know there is specs for this but cant find any... Have everything lined up... people tools hoists etc... just no specs
Any knowledged souls out there?? :P

Regards Serchy

Tidas
13-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi Searchy,

I do not satisfy the classification of a knowledged soul, but the motors would have the same leg length I would assume.

If so, the prop/cav plate would be the important thing.

As long as the old motor is still on the boat you could take measurements and make a template with cardboard (hull one side, motor the other).
Once removing the old motor, you would have to pack, block, strap and/or brace the new motor into position using your measurements and template as a guide. Once in position drill new holes and fill or plate over the old holes. (or as FNQCairns said the mounting holes may well be the same.)

Ofcourse that does assume the original motor is in the optimal position - I don't know a formula to work that out though.

Hope that is of some help.

Cheers,

Paul

FNQCairns
13-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi serchy, dont really know what you mean by specs? But all engines the age of your new one and possible your old one also,unless it was a real oldie should have the same standardised mounting hole dimensions.

Then once it is hanging measure where the cav plate (ventilation plate) is in relation to the line of the hull at the lowest part.

Then depending on where it is raise or lower it via the engine bolt holes. Somehow the manufacturers all use different tape measures when specifying the length of the shaft, so they vary by a bit.

Most "she will be right" or "fix a problem by using the handbrake" motor mounts have the plate level with the bottom! or even below!!!.

But in the majority of cases the right place for them to be is around 1 inch up on a moderate to deep V then either raise or lower again from there after testing, will depend mostly on the style and condition of the prop where you go from here, in theory the right prop could see you actually lifting it again, and the converse applies also. But if a standard prop in perfect condition it might be as good as you get.

good luck with it

Cheers fnq

serchy
13-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info Tidas and fnq, I had a feeling the Cav plate aligned with the hull line. The keel of the boat finishes about 8 inches from the transom leaving the hull with a smooth finish. The boat originally came with and evinrude 135, poor thing died of old age RIP and we had a spare 85 Johnson hanging about to suffice... so it bolted straight on.... The hull has been totally descratched debumped, filled rsprayed and and old holes (all) filled and sealed. Hand sanded and 2pack resprayed, She's looking a little pretty at the moment. So in saying that, we need to place new motor on the transom and remark new holes and alignments....
So I guess Cav place level with the smoothed hull?
Do evinrude, Johns Yamaha normally have same measurement for transom bracket (interchangeable)? SO I might be better looking for the old holes to redrill. Measure twice drill oncewould be a really good choice...lol 8-)
Ok one more thing..... What is the best material to place under the mount.... have old plate (ply) to use as a tempate... Alloy attached with sikaflex... or is there a better option...

Best regards
Kev
:DSerchy

Spaniard_King
13-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Kev,

All engine manufacturers have adopted a universal bolt hole pattern. you can bolt any engine on once you have the correct pattern.

What area do you live in, I have a Drill fixture you can use if ya near me (Gold Coast)

Se if you can get ya self a nylon pad, go to any local boat yard and you will see what I mean

Garry

serchy
13-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info spaniard,

I live at near Greenbank /Jimboomba so may take up the offer of the jig. will be just after xmas new year due to busy work schedule...
As for the nylon pad for the transom....excellent idea..... will head out and have a look over next couple of days.
All your help is appreciated immensely.
Just making sure I have everything I need to get my baby back in the water,,,,,,,,,,,,
Regrads
Kev (serchy)