PDA

View Full Version : Sneak preview of new Rip tide

revs57
09-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Well here she is...nearly there...Dave has done a fantastic Job..off tho the paint shop new week...I reckon We might call her "Aquatherapy"

revs57
09-11-2005, 08:55 PM
and another

revs57
09-11-2005, 08:59 PM
and another

sempre
09-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Ahh, brings back memories from same time last year. Did you give Dave my message?

revs57
09-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah Sam..he laughed!!!!No hasn;t got the Tarago...yet...and one day he'll learn to weld alloy too... ;D ;D ;D

cheers

Rhys

FNQCairns
11-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Looks good Rhys! and pretty big n sturdy, I tried to find a web site for the finished product but no luck.

The transom tank setup looks almost identical to the ones I built for my project - great minds and all that! #:) 8-)

What size engine/s? My planned Suzuki 175? 4s powerup has been temporarily swapped for 4 wheels :'(.

Cannot be long until it is on the water now. You will be excited I am sure.

cheers fnq

revs57
11-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks Scott,

Yep its coming along really nicely. I'm powering with a 2005 150 efi merc for the moment as it came along cheap with only 3 hours on it, but the ultimate plan is to punt it along with a 175 Suzi when we've recovered a bit financially from this round

You can find Dave at this web address

http://www.riptidealloyboats.com.au

Hope the wheels thing sorts out for you soon...otherwise the 175 Suzi might be a pretty good option ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rhys

snappa
11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
u going to soil it by painting ....

8-)

revs57
11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
I wasnt going to Snappa...but a mate of mine offered to paint it over a few stubbies...reckoned the blood and guts will come of a 2 pac surface easier and white easier to see at sea (the old safety arguement) ...I argued that unpainted boats catch more fish...he laughed at me...but I relented...to the purists out there, sorry if I've let the team down...but yes it will be painted

Mr__Bean
11-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Wow Revs looks fantastic.

I too chose to paint, I haven't looked back......

To do it properly it is a hell of a lot of preperation though, has your mate painted a tinny before?

To get the paint to stick properly is a fair process, (cleaning, scouring, cleaning, acid etching, rinsing, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, priming, then painting).

Piccy of mine before, and one to the side after.

- Darren

revs57
13-11-2005, 06:39 PM
G'day Darren,

My mate has painted plent of trucks and cranes in his day....he's pretty versatile, this is his first boat but I know he will do a good job. We've got good professional advise,

I'm buffing it with a scour pad then buzzing it with an orbi tomorrow before we acid wash, etch prime with a good hibuild primer, nick her back and using a quality industrial/marine grade white 2 pack we will compelte the job...Yes I'm told the end product is dependent on good prep...so we are going hard.

Love your rig mate, who built it? Nice lines, and really like the white...hopefully our rig will come up like yours...we'll be using dark blue as the contrast for keel line, and blue multi shades for boat rego numbers, name and graphic

I have a spot lined up for my ausfish stickers eventually, on both sides of the hard top toward the rear on each side of the flashing

thanks for your interest

cheers

Rhys

Mr__Bean
13-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Rhys,

Didn't want to stick my nose in too far, or sound like a smarty, but as you mentioned the final product is so dependant on the preperation.

I actually chose off-white, boy what a mistake, it looks more like cream than off-white.

Sounds like you are on top of it, just remember to do a good strong detergent wash prior to the acid so that all the grease and oil is removed and the acid can bite in a bit (I used truck wash in a concentrated mix).

Not sure what acid you are going to use, I bought mine from an electroplating supply company, they use it to acid clean aluminium before they anodize stuff.

For interest I sprayed it on with a 9 litre household garden spray thingy and it worked a treat, stinks though as it etchs into the ally a bit before you rinse it off.

Good luck,

- Darren

P.S. Even with thorough preperation I have had small areas peel when you wash it hard with the pressure wash.

revs57
13-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Off white...must look like one of those fancy kingfisher/riviera jobbies Darren ;)

We're going for straight white...I'm not sure what acid wash David is going to use. His sons father in law is a paint guru and is supplying all the consumerables including acidwash, hibuild etch primer and 2 pac

Like the idea of a prewash, will probably use CT18

By the way Darren, who built your boat? love the lines...Looks like 6.8/7mt plus? What do you power it with?

Any idea why your paint peels?...did the acid wash dry? I know it leaves a powdery residue if it drys and paint will peel...or if it didn't etch?

Cheers

Rhys

Mr__Bean
13-11-2005, 07:54 PM
The boat is an 8 metre Jackman, it was built in Perth and I had it trucked over to Melbourne.

I put a 225 Yammy 4 stroke on it and I'm happy with it, really needs trim tabs but they will come with time. Spent my money on an Raymarine electronics package instead.

Not sure why the paint has peeled, it has only happened where there has been a scratch from the anchor etc then I have hit it hard with the water jet from the pressure washer. The acid was well rinsed off so I don't think that was it, just not clean enough I guess.

What do you plan to do under the roof? I ran my wires etc then put carpetted ply up there. I have a couple of LED lights for night fishing as well as a couple of 12 volt stainless down lights over the seats for map reading etc.

- Darren

revs57
13-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi Darren

I'm going to line some light alloy sheet with headliner material and run 4 led down lights in it inside the hard top. I had a couple of dome lights earmarked for the job until I learned they earth back through the boat and can set up corrosion, so decided to go with the leds instead. I've also put two leds in the Radio locker over head to map read.

Yeah went the extra and got trim tabs...what the heck...its only money...bring on another thousand!

I've not heard of the Jackman before, but man they build a good looking plate boat. WA builders are sure turning out a good product...

cheers

Rhys