PDA

View Full Version : goldcoast outboard motor mechanic

ynotaj
13-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi guys, I'm looking at a used boat that has a 40hp 4 stroke on it, and when it was first started there was a small amount of blue smoke, the owner is unsure on how many hours it has done, there is no hour meter, and also not sure when the last service was. A car mechanic friend of mine said it would appear that oil is either getting past the seals or the rings and that I should have it checked out before I buy it. The boat is a 2001 model so I guess the motor is as well, I forgot to check.

The problem is I don't live on the goldcoast and don't know who to get. The boat in on a canal so the mechanic would have to travel to the boat, can anyone give me some names of outboard mechanics that will have a good look and tell me the truth about the outboard and also not charge me more the the price of the boat lol.

Thanks guys
Tony

gawby
13-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Tony,

the gold coast is a big place so if you can give the general area it may make it easier to recomend someone to you.
Graeme

rajawolf
13-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Is the boat moored in the water?...if so check to see how many sea shells are stuck to the bottom of the hull.

Burley_Boy
13-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Sounds like the seals on the old VL and yes they did smoke on startup. Be careful but depends on what you pay.
Brett (Brejen) is pretty happy with whitewatermarine I think they're called. They're on Brisbane rd Labrador. The yamaha mob down at Burleigh have always impressed me and I know Hagar is impressed with Endless Summer Marine on the Tweed and if so I would expect them to be excellent.
Good luck. :)

snave
13-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Try Ian at Ski & Race marine 0410546557 he;s on the North end of the Coast if the boat is to far away I'm sure he'll be able to recomend somebody closer

MIKE

ynotaj
13-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys,

Its my first boat and it's a big decision and not one the wife is fully happy with :(, I started to build a patio about 2 years ago, got a hole out the side of the house about 5m x 11m with work slowing down due to a lack of funds ::), and to make things worse the mother in law has the poos with me as she wants me to buy her 1970's quintrex runabout >:(, so what I don't need is to pay for a boat that turns out to be a lemon :(. If that happens I may just as well leave home. :(

Burley boy what is an old VL is it the motor model, and is it common for 4 strokes to smoke a bit at start up. I hoping to make a phone call to Spaniard_King he seems to offer lots of good advice on here.

Thanks

Tony

13-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Nope not really common for 4 strokes to smoke, let alone BLUE smoke! Would definately get someone over to have alook at the outboard. Good luck with it all. The mob at gold coast boatarama were helpful last time i dealt with them and you could look them up. They are one of the bigger yamaha dealers on the coast located opposite harbour town.

frankj
14-11-2005, 08:37 AM
If it's at the northern end of the Gold Coast try Jim at Slades Marine, Paradise Point. Very helpful.

Work_Bench
14-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Blue smoke bad sign , and he does'nt know how many hours it has, which means it's never serviced or he is lying , this could possibly be ex commercial , get the serial number off it and check with the manufacturers who originally purchased it.

If you do buy this engine allow for a new water pump , spark plugs and gear oil change.

Rob

Burley_Boy
14-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Sorry mate, old VL refers to my last Holden VL. The issue there was that at idle the oil would flow past the seals on the valves on idle and give a puff of smoke after it had idled and you took off. If the rings are gone it behaves a bit differently.
Speak to Garry (Spaniard King) he's both knowledgeable and helpful.

turkey_beach_boy
14-11-2005, 10:27 PM
It may need some new valve stem seals.Oil seeps down stem onto top of piston,blows smoke when you first start up.I would get a compression check also.