PDA

View Full Version : Electric winch for boat trailer

Any_Weather
14-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Was thinking of installing an electric winch on to my boat trailer. Not sure whether i am getting lazy, old or just wiser? Any info on recommended brands or sizes or prices and availability would be appreciated. It will need to be powerful enough to pull a 6.5m plate alloy boat from very little water as I do beach launching and sometimes there is not alot of water when retrieving. Any help is very welcomed.
Thanks
Lee

rajawolf
14-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Lee,
I am thinking the same, since i lost my winch handle, I am thinking of going the power way also.

Tony

rodbender
14-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Hi guys bias boating sell a good range of trailer winches i brought a superwinch model s2.500 for my boat as u can see its not little. never had any trouble with it ;D rodbender

bj
14-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Lee, I took delivery of a new 6.85 mtr boat six weeks ago and after the first retrieve decided on a trailer winch and got a Powerwinch 912 for
$950 and glad I did. Things are so easy now and all on a single line pull. All the best.

Spectre
14-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Lee

Worth having a look around some of the Off Road accessory places eg TJM/Opposite lock etc. There are some good winches about now at reasonable prices. I would not advise going for one of the so called "boat winches" as they won't last esp. on a big boat when fully loaded etc..

I have a T MAX 9500 lb (single lne pull) for 6.5 M F/G boat & it does it easy.
You will need to have a good platform to mount it & have it wired direct to the vehicle battery via heavy duty B&S cable & an Anderson plug.

They certainly make life easy at the end of a big weekend on the water. ;D ;)

Cheers
Phil

Heath
14-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I have a powerwinch 712A for my cruise craft 6m. I use a double line pully for it though. If you can afford it go for a model that will pull your boat up using a single line. much faster.

No complaints with my winch though, got it at the right price & its a ball tearer.

troy
14-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I had a super winch and i had no trouble with it but the only thing i did not like about them was you could not use a emergency handle.
I own a power winch which has this feature.
troy

mark221263
15-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi, I use a USA made "power winch 712A" for my Cruisecraft 580 outsider and it works a treat with a single line pull.

The switch for them is mounted on the side of the winch body and you just run a piece of small cord from it to the back to the trailer. Then you just pull on the rope/cord and away it goes so you can load and unload single handed with ease and no chance of damage tot he boat or others.

Would not touch one of the cheap asain imports as I've friends how have had nothing but trouble.

All the best