PDA

View Full Version : New Design Bimini Canopy

dicko1980
14-11-2005, 08:17 PM
In the latest Fisherman & BoatownerMagazine there is a report on the Trailcraft 475 Profish. This boat features a new design canopy that when folded out for use, uses very little fishing space. In sense there is limited bracing and guide ropes in the way of the fishable area of the boat. Has anyone seen one of these canopies before, and are they available to the general public, or just a Trailcraft option?

Regards
dicko1980

Burley_Boy
14-11-2005, 08:50 PM
I designed mine on the craft shown in my avatar to avoid any of the standard guide straps. Didn't see the report you referred to though so sorry if I'm not of any help. :-/
oops just realized it didn't show the bimini in the picke so I'll have to find one, sorry!

TonyM
15-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Sounds like the kind of thing I'm after for my boat. I just figured I'll probably have to bite the bullet and have it custom made which will probably co$t a lot more.

Another thing I saw on telly on the weekend was an extension for the rear of the canopy that you can slide out if needed so the canopy covers the entire rear deck, brilliant idea although once again I think it's going to cost :-?

The_Walrus
15-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I've seen a canopy that used a pair of metal braces at the front and another set to keep the canopy spread.

It looked like it would be relatively simple to modify any canopy to use this system. The only hard bit would be bending the ends of the horizntal spreaders so they clear the canopy frames.

Luc

TonyM
16-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Burley_Boy - any luck finding a pic mate? Very interested to see your idea, and might have to get a license from you to copy it :)

Would one carton of beer cover it? ;)

Bowser
16-11-2005, 05:52 PM
The canopy that you are talking about was first shown more fully in that magazine 2 issues ago. It is good but it is still a bimini with the associated reduction in fishability of a centre console caused by having supports mounted on the side decks. I think it is much better to have a t-top mounted on the centre console itself. That way you can fish all the way around the boat, with shade and not have the problem of braces or struts. The one I had made is hinged at the bottom and it only takes the removal of 4 easy bolts to drop th frame onto the foredeck making easy storage in a standard height garage. In reality the cost was not a lot more than a custom made bimini and is a hell of a lot more rigid giving you another thing to hold onto with confidence in a moving boat. You cannot grab the standard bimini as a saftey handle and expect it to stay up for long. You just need to be sensible and not load it up too much with rocket launchers and heavy rods etc. It also provides a good elevated mount for nav and anchor lights as well as radio antenae.

TonyM
16-11-2005, 06:04 PM
I agree a T-Top tends to be the way to go for a centre console - my Boat is a Bowrider though ;)