PDA

View Full Version : Boat for Fishing&Family fun - Novice asking Q's

Clayte
16-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi Guys

I am a complete Novice when it comes to boats.... I am looking for a family boat(family consists of 4 people, 2 adults and 2 kids under 10), fun days out in the Broadwater and such like, but also to do some fishing with on my own or with the kids or mate or two. Looking for something that must have a canopy for protection from sun etc ( I am assuming this can be added on?)
* Really do not know what size I need ? (some talk in foot and others in metres ?)
* What size motor ?
* Can I take it in the dams aswell as Broadwater, canals etc ?
* Budget mmmm... well probably anything from $15K - $30'ish (all in), considering this is my first boat, what might you reccommend ?

Any guidance what so ever would be a start for me

Thanks
Clayte :-/

haze
16-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Clayte
Your first boat mate should be a tinny no more than $10K. You are bound to make mistakes, nock it around, bang into things, smack it into the pontoon, forget to put the bungs in etc. etc.. These are all learning experiences and should be done in a boat that is not going to cost you heaps. Who knows, you may find out that you don't enjoy boating like you thought you would.
I hope this helps.

Clayte
16-11-2005, 03:50 PM
thanks Haze, probably the best advice I have heard today and that's after visiting a few boat dealers !!

I probably should do that for the experience for a few months if for no other reason - thanks

Clayte

blaze
16-11-2005, 03:58 PM
4 to 5 metre tinnie, 50hp outboard, tiller steer on a basic trailer. Add a bimini (sun shade). This would pull a tube for the kids, be ok in the impoundments. Good for a fish or a bit of exploring.
cheers
blaze

Burley_Boy
16-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Yeah you shouldn't need to spend too much to get a bit of local knowledge in the broadwater. My old 16foot fibreglass rig is probably worth around $5500, it has an old 40HP and is rated for 4 adults. I've done loads off 20km offshore trips in this rig with one other adult and we'll do about 20-22knots top speed.
Don't know about dams, you'll probably need an electric motor on that and if so keep away from a fibreglass hull.
The fibreglass hulls will give you a better ride but are heavier.
This one has been great for me and is ok in size to easily handle and take a couple of kids out in a ring or wake boarding so that should give you an idea. Not trying to sell you my old rig but it gives you an idea. If I was keeping it & spending a few bob on it I'd put a newer preferably a 4 stroke on it for local pottering but its hard to justify the expense on an older hull. I did toss up the idea of a newer engine but when the Hanies came up there was no comparison for what I do. Hard offshore runs and kids that want to ski.

Certainly not trying to flog you mine but I hope that you understand that a boat around $5k can be absolutely perfect for what you want and I don't regret learning on the last two hulls I've had and makes me confident of my craft and the areas I fish. I know a few people with bigger boats that don't dare use them and that defeats the purpose.

Good luck mate and happy boating.