PDA

View Full Version : BOAT COVER - BEFORE AND AFTER PICS

88fishframe
15-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I made comment about my boat cover a while ago and got a lot of posts asking for pics. So here it is -

It has been upholstered to fit my boat exactly, is made out of shade cloth [10 year warranty] and is in the best Qld colours available on the market. It is not 100% waterproof [about 90%, but this is a boat???]. It is however 100% UV protection which is what I was after. Cost me $670.00 including materials to have custom fabricated for me. It is able to be left on while being towed.

88fishframe
15-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Here's one of "Felix" without any cloths on.

Manjilad
15-11-2005, 09:33 PM
mmm..... tooooo nice ....... jealous.
Is it just Bunning's type shade cloth, 100%? Does is scratch/wear the hull with wind?
My 5 mth old poly tarp ($56) is now turning to powder and summer has not arrived yet!
Thinking I might buy and stitch together some 4WD car covers or try your shade clothe idea!
cheers and thanks

Bundaberg_Bandit
15-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Does Felix have anything to keep his clothes of the top of the Centre Console - I use a tarp and they last about a year but then wear through at the centre console

cheers

BB

88fishframe
16-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi guys. The fellow who trimmed it all up sowed in protective material at all the points where it might wear or rub on the boat - an extra piece runs along the section at the top of the console. This was to make sure it lasts as long as posible. The shade cloth would be similar to the ones at Bunnings - the guy who made it said it was the best quality shade cloth out there. He uses it to make shade sails over pools and in backyards. The shade cloth itself is not very abrasive and dosn't seem to worry the hull even though it is painted.

ShaneJ
16-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Spill the beans, who made it?

88fishframe
16-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Made by Jason Harber of Townsville - Alltrim Upholstery [he's still in the phone book under that name, but now works from home concentrating mainly on house stuff like shade sails. Won't say no to boats and cars though].

Manjilad
16-11-2005, 04:41 PM
88FF-thanks for the response and info.
I will check out shade cloth pricing and how to sow!!!!!! - want to have a go and customise my own boat cover.
Cheers

Elysium
16-11-2005, 05:22 PM
If any guys are looking in the brisbane area who can do work like this then look no further.

I have been in the canvas industry for 11 years and have lost count on how many boat covers I have made! I normally use marine canvas for mine, but if you want one out of shadecloth then that isnt a problem either!

The shadeclothused above would more than likely be coolaroo for those who are interested.

Looks like a great job!

ShaneJ
16-11-2005, 05:26 PM
If any guys are looking in the brisbane area who can do work like this then look no further.

I have been in the canvas industry for 11 years and have lost count on how many boat covers I have made! I normally use marine canvas for mine, but if you want one out of shadecloth then that isnt a problem either!

The shadeclothused above would more than likely be coolaroo for those who are interested.

Looks like a great job!

This is good to know. Do you work for yourself or for someone?

Bundaberg_Bandit
16-11-2005, 06:14 PM
looks good - will have a look for the shadecloth as well.

I know how to sew :-[ (I've been domesticated :P)

But how do you stitch shadecloth together?

Do you need to use a backing on the joins?

Do you fold it?

any ideas?

cheers

BB

Elysium
16-11-2005, 07:58 PM
i work for myself...can be mobile if needs be as well.

I can be contacted on 0411556836 or lscanvas@optusnet.com.au

ShaneJ
16-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Eggsalad. Thats great! Are you able to provide us with some example prices? Like $x for canvas cover to suit 5m center console?
Thanks mate

88fishframe
16-11-2005, 10:21 PM
I forgot to mention - BIG REASON FOR USING SHADECLOTH : It's light !!! Easy to manhandle on and off by one person. Nothing more frustrating than fiddling around trying to put a cover on a boat [easy to get them off]. This is why many covers sit around unused in sheds. Mine is EASY.