PDA

View Full Version : Hoiw much for plumbling a good live bait tank?

2iar
11-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi,

I've got the boat booked in to Seaquip in Capalaba next week. She's getting a custom bait table put on. I asked at the same time on what it would cost to have a LB tank plumbed/wired. The boat's already got the well, I just need it plumbed. They mentioned that it would have a good pump fitted (not just a bilge pump used for the job). I've also got a spare switch on the existing panel that would be used for the on/off, so that should just be a case of hooking it up.

They quoted $400 for the LB tank work, which was certainly more than I expected. However, if this is the going rate for good quality work, I'd consider it. What do Ausfishers think?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Scott15
11-11-2005, 09:47 AM
I dont know much about that sorta stuff but it does sound very exxy. Considering you can buy a kit for less than $60. Did they mention anything about the pick up being on the bottom of the hull ot just a pick up pipe at the back? sounds too much to me

Bashir
11-11-2005, 09:59 AM
:o :o I'm in the process of redoing mine and Paid $70 for an 1100gph pump (massive - I plan on drowning slimies lol) $70 again for a custom made transom bracket so I can remove the pump. Add another $50 - $80 for screws, inlets, hose, hose clamps, taps, sikaflex etc... Personally I reckon a bilge pump on the transom is the way to go - what sort of pump are they planning to use?

2iar
11-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it did sound too dear to be right. That's why I thought it was worth asking here.

I can't remember the name of the pump, but the bloke reckoned it had quite a large capacity, and said the pump itself was either $150 or $200 (can't remember which). He'd kind of lost my attention after the $400 estimate :D We didn't get as far as discussing the pickup point.

I might give it a swerve for the moment, it would just have saved the boat going in twice if I plan to do it later. I'm just too scared to be drilling holes in abrand new boat myself...

Thanks for the feedback,
Mike

88fishframe
11-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Have a look at the whitworths.com.au site under live bait and see the unit they have for $269.00 complete. I am getting a second custom boat built now and the builders put me onto it. They can't match it for price. Sensational.

2iar
11-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks mate, but I don't need the tank itself, just the pump/fittings/wiring etc.

Definitely looking a bit steep now.

Mike

Spaniard_King
11-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Crikey,

I gotta up my hourly rate :'(

Garry

2iar
14-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I dropped the boat off today to have the bait table fitted. I had another chat and I originally forgot that the live bait installation also incluuded a high pressure deck wash kit - is this still too high?

I won't be getting it for the moment, but might bare it in mind when I save some more $$$'s.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Good luck,
Mike

Bashir
14-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Deck wash pumps are pretty expensive. I have gone through a couple of them shurflo and flojet brands. they were both servicing my bait tank as well. Signature does this as standard, the deckwash pumps simply do not last with constant saltwater use. That is why I was wondering what sort of pump you are getting. Go for an external bilge pump or one of the through transom rule livebait pumps. The deckwash pumps have crap water flow as they are made for water pressure, they're expensive and they breakdown.

searaider
16-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Geday2iar ,
I have had a number of things built by Seaquip ( Martin ), and I have always been more than happy with the end product . I also believe that everything that I have had done is reasonably priced for the quality of work that is carried out .
Martin is an extremely keen and Good fisherman himself , and uses the same top quality fittings and self priming deck wash pump as he used on his own live bait tank .
At first appearences $ 400 may sound dear , but when you discuss with them what type ,and how much of this is for the materials ,then compare whats left for labour it will probably be easy to see how it Quickly adds up to $ 400 .
NO not a Salesman for Seaquip , just a happy customer .

OH I forgot to add #::), they just fitted a NEW Live Bait Tank / deck wash #pump / and Stanless Steel pick up to the Mighty Searaider 2 .
TOP JOB . [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I have only been on the water once , since it was fitted , works a treat . #;)

Before you ask , I'm not going to post the price / you pay for what you get .

I try and post some photo's shortly .

Peter
Searaider 2

searaider
16-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Live Bait Tank

searaider
16-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Closed

searaider
16-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Stainless Steel pick up pipe

searaider
16-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Deck Wash Pump / Snap T fitting for deck hose .

FishFinger1977
16-11-2005, 08:00 PM
2iar,
Martin did a similiar job to peter's on my boat except I had a separate deckwash system. Great work and very functional. Does not leak at all into the boat when self flushing underway. They also did some work on the rocket launcher setup, excellent finish on all surfaces. They will make whatever you've decided on look good and last. I'm with Pete you get what you pay for though and no i'm not a salesman either.

Great setup Pete, look forward to the reports. Great choice of boat too eh ;) Regards Scott

redspeckle
17-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Yeah they might be pretty good at installing things bring water into the boat but bloody hopeless installing underfloor fuel tank and fuel breathers in the wrong place must have thought installing big live bait tank which nearly cost my boat on the South passage Bar (see spark plug & fuel filter post's )

Mitch