PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first boat

JubJub
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Hi all,
# # # #I am looking at purchasing my first boat and would love a bit of advice from those in the know. I am looking at a bit of river fishing in the clarence and richmond rivers and heading outside on the better days once I have a bit of experience. My boys are keen to have a ski as well.

I am looking at a 5m monark hull with a 135 merc at the moment. The boat looks very tidy and the asking price is $10,500

I am a few weeks away from having the cash as I need to sell my harley first so its time to do some homework.

revs57
05-11-2005, 05:30 AM
Hey JubJub,

I know how it feels to sell a Harley to get a boat...I'm in th efinal throws of letting my old girl go (the bike that is not the first mate ;D ;D ;D) but a good choice though...Its pretty tough to get four or five leagally on a hog in Australia and the boat will certainly give you many hours of quality family fun.

Its a bit hard to draw too many conclusions from your photo, but the Monark Hull brand has been around for a long time and has nice lines- I remember looking seriously at a similar boat as a young bloke 30yrs ago. It's a WA boat from memory (but happy to be corrected) and a runabout will certainly give you options for the family, fish, ski etc. Its also hard to tell how old, how many hours etc...but I'd have an outboad mechanic check it over for safe keeping...might cost a couple of bucks but worth it in the long run in my opinion.

Its the kind of boat I've seen easily beach launched at Minnie Water off the beach, which is in your neck of the woods too...a number of guys have the 5mt glass runabout as their fishing platform of choice so I'm sure it will do the inside/outside thing.

What kind of Harley are you trying to move and how much? A mate of mine in Lismore has just this week been cleaned up, fortunately for him he's in pretty good knick....pity I can't say the same for his scoot...probably a write off...so he's gonna be looking for a new ride...

anyway, let me know either post or PM

Cheers

Rhys

JubJub
05-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks Rys,
Sorry to hear about your mates misfortune. My old girl is an 85 FXEF ( Fat Bob ) The reason I am unloading it is because its time to to something a bit more family orientated.
I have it up at Brisbane at Rollies Speed Shop. I look after Rollies website so he is helping me out.
I am asking $13,500 for it. ( Owes me about 18k)

I agree with what you say about getting it checked out. A few years ago my Day purchased a boat privatly and all looked and sounded fine. We took the boat out the next day and it just wouldnt rev under load. We took it to an outboard mechanic and he told us the block had been welded and to throw it away.

revs57
05-11-2005, 10:18 AM
I'll let my mate know, but I think he is going to look for something a little younger

Cheers

Rhys

JubJub
10-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Damn this is getting confusing. Its a bit hard to know whats good value and whats someone elses dinosaur that they are trying to palm off. I am looking at 13k to 15k for a bit of river fishing, outside on a good day and a bit of a ski for the kids.

gunna
10-11-2005, 01:10 PM
That rig shoud be fine for what you want to do. You just need to get the right people to check it over first. Can't comment on the price but you should be able to get some comparisons on the for-sale sites - boatpoint or tradingpost.

JubJub
17-11-2005, 10:56 PM
The bike sold the day after the boat did so I missed it. Ahh well thats the way it goes.
The thing that caught my eye was that it was immaculate. So I am back to the drawing board.
I might head up the coast next week and have a look around. I have noticed that the boats down vic way are 3-5 grand cheaper so I might even head south and visit the family while Im at it.

I am busting to get out onto the water